PDA

View Full Version : You are never too old for your first Spyder ride!

denviola
11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Was beautiful Indian Summer weather here in PA on Sunday (65 degrees F). Was visiting my Mother and showing her which buttons to push on the newfangled flat screen control to watch TV (again!). Rode the RT to her house, and told her it was time for the motorcycle ride I've been promising. She only put up token resistance this time, so I knew she was going when I said that the weather will probably not be this nice again until next spring. I promised we would just go around the block and would go slow. She did pretty well getting on and off the bike and rather than hold the passenger grips she held on to me. We made it to a blistering 15 mph once during the ride! She just loved the ride and I was proud. She called everyone in the family to tell them about her first ever motorcycle ride, and I posted it on facebook for the extended family and friends.

For the record, my Mom will be 87 next week! I'm a bit disappointed that myself and my 2 younger brothers, all in our 50s have had bikes since long before we were legal to ride and never once took Mom for a ride. I don't think she's interested in getting on my youngest brother's Ducati or my other brother's Heritage Softtail. Mom never was interested in my Ultra Classic either except to say it was nice, so it's gotta be the Spyder that did the trick! I'm sure there are many retired folks still riding. Who has the oldest rider or passenger in your family?
Denny

twain
11-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Very cool. I have a friend here in Houston who is in his 70's and we have a hard time keeping up with him on his RS.

jScotD
11-12-2012, 08:29 PM
I took my Mom for a ride on one of my BMW's in the late 70's she was all grins and giggles.. she remembered when she was a teenager and sat on a friends HD and it fell over:shocked:

Mom's are never too old to go for a ride.. MY Mom want's to go for a ride on the Spyder when the weather gets warmer.. she just turned 89..and works beside me everyday at our shoe store..

MrBones
11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Not as old as your Mom but am 79 and riding a RSS. My bride is 78 and riding a Yamaha 650 Vstar. So I guess we qualify for some what oldies ??

Hberninger
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Was beautiful Indian Summer weather here in PA on Sunday (65 degrees F). Was visiting my Mother and showing her which buttons to push on the newfangled flat screen control to watch TV (again!). Rode the RT to her house, and told her it was time for the motorcycle ride I've been promising. She only put up token resistance this time, so I knew she was going when I said that the weather will probably not be this nice again until next spring. I promised we would just go around the block and would go slow. She did pretty well getting on and off the bike and rather than hold the passenger grips she held on to me. We made it to a blistering 15 mph once during the ride! She just loved the ride and I was proud. She called everyone in the family to tell them about her first ever motorcycle ride, and I posted it on facebook for the extended family and friends.

For the record, my Mom will be 87 next week! I'm a bit disappointed that myself and my 2 younger brothers, all in our 50s have had bikes since long before we were legal to ride and never once took Mom for a ride. I don't think she's interested in getting on my youngest brother's Ducati or my other brother's Heritage Softtail. Mom never was interested in my Ultra Classic either except to say it was nice, so it's gotta be the Spyder that did the trick! I'm sure there are many retired folks still riding. Who has the oldest rider or passenger in your family?
Denny

Denny,
Thanks for the post about taking your mother for a ryde on your Spyder. I wish my mother was still alive so that I could take her a ryde on mine.
Blessings to you and your mother.

NancysToy
11-12-2012, 10:37 PM
Denny,
Thanks for the post about taking your mother for a ryde on your Spyder. I wish my mother was still alive so that I could take her a ryde on mine.
Blessings to you and your mother.
Amen to that. My Mom and Dad gave me my first ride. I wish they were here so I could return the favor.

LindaG
11-12-2012, 10:41 PM
I took my safety class with a woman that is 73. She did a great job, would ride with her any time.

Big Arm
11-13-2012, 12:07 AM
My Mom rode on my '08 GS at 100 yrs young. She passed away last summer at 102, but I will always remember the thrill and smile on her face after her ride.

Daisyjoe
11-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Not as old as your Mom but am 79 and riding a RSS. My bride is 78 and riding a Yamaha 650 Vstar. So I guess we qualify for some what oldies ??

:bowdown::bowdown::2thumbs::2thumbs: Way to go!! I am glad you are living and not just existing. I pray that I can say the same thing when I am your age.

ARtraveler
11-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Those are very precious memories that you will have. It is great that the :spyder2: can be shared with those we love. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
11-13-2012, 08:42 AM
:agree: She's never going to forget that ride! :2thumbs:

bikeguy
11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Glad you had the opportunity to take your mother for a ride. I'm sure you both enjoyed the experience. I don't think I could ever have talked my mom into going for a ride.

A while back I took my 87 year old mother-in-law for a ride. We rode about 30 miles and she really enjoyed it. It was her first ride since she was a teenager. We were able to talk over the intercom and, being a farmer's wife, she talked about the crops as we rode. I've been looking for another opportunity to take her again when the weather is nice.

I have a good friend who is still riding his BMW K75 at 86 years old. He doesn't ride as far or as often as he used to but he is one of those riders who was virtually born on 2 wheels and his skill is still very evident. He rides a bicycle several days a week for exercise but also says that it helps his balance.

Cotton