PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Arc

CanAmChris
11-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I had the spark plugs replaced a couple weeks ago. after a few days I started to hear a clicking sound when I was at idle. As the days past. the clicking became much more frequent and the RPM's would drop off. I realized the clicking had to be an arc. The sound comes from the right side of the bike so I doubt it is the coil wire. How often do you guys change the plug wires?

NancysToy
11-12-2012, 06:58 PM
You have discovered a glaring weakness about the OEM plug wires. They are easily damaged when changing the plugs. I'd recommend replacing them with a set of BajaRon's plug wires. They are much better quality. be sure to use a little spark plug boot release (dielectric grease) inside the boots when the wires are installed. If your dealer changed the plugs, you might want to complain. They likely did the damage...although the reason you needed new plugs in the first place could have been due to bad plug wires.

boborgera
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
The stock wires will damage very easy, I wouldn't be surprised if once you change plugs you'll need to change the wires also. If they're arcing badly and they must be if you can hear them arcing, Get them changed before your plugs load up, and the engine will stop running.
Been there had that happen.

samewok
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Why did you change plugs?
When the dealer changed. My plugs under warranty they also changed wire because they said if not I would have problems if not.

CanAmChris
11-13-2012, 06:45 PM
When the dealer changed. My plugs under warranty they also changed wire because they said if not I would have problems if not.

I had over 20k on the originals and it was starting to hesitate at low RPMs. After the plug change it was better but not perfect, then the arcing started. I had my dealer change them and I am taking it back Thursday for new wires. For all I know it was the wires all along and moving them around for the plug change was the breaker.

Thanks for the replies!

Big Arm
11-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Do yourself a favor, take Scotty's advice, and send for a set of BajaRon's plug wires, they are top quality, and he'll stand behind them.

Recluze
11-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I just did mine and having had prior experience in this area I put on Baja Rons wires. Oddly enough I use a boot removal tool this time and the OEM wires came off easily and probably in one piece. But I feel better with Ron's plugs and wires in there. Sounds like you have re=discovered the weakness in the OEM wires.

Lamonster
11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
If it was me I would not drive it till I got new wires on it. This is a fire waiting to happen.
nojoke

Bob Denman
11-14-2012, 07:45 AM
:shocked: :agree:
And I'd STILL get in touch with Ron and get some of his wires! :2thumbs:
(got em, and love em!)

Bob Denman
11-15-2012, 08:41 AM
I've got a set of OEM plugwires laying in my garage if you need them...

Campverdefela
11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
You have discovered a glaring weakness about the OEM plug wires. They are easily damaged when changing the plugs. I'd recommend replacing them with a set of BajaRon's plug wires. They are much better quality. be sure to use a little spark plug boot release (dielectric grease) inside the boots when the wires are installed. If your dealer changed the plugs, you might want to complain. They likely did the damage...although the reason you needed new plugs in the first place could have been due to bad plug wires.

But no grease on the coil side, as per Ron's recommendation.

NancysToy
11-15-2012, 12:47 PM
But no grease on the coil side, as per Ron's recommendation.
:agree: I think the main reason that has never worked well on any vehicle is the short boot, and the ease with which a greased boot slips off the short insulator on the coil. Greasing the coil end always seems to result in jiggled off wires and eventual misfires.

CanAmChris
11-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Things didn't work out for me to get the Spyder to the dealer tonight so I have sent an email to Ron so I can order his plug wires. I really need to stop being lazy and start working on her myself anyway. Thanks for the info guys and yes Lamont, the fire thing crossed my mind. On the way home in the dark Tuesday night I kept looking for a glow under the tupperware.

CAC

Gordy
11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
clicking without a miss could also be a loose plug

fastfraser
11-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Your dealer swapped your plugs under warranty ?

NancysToy
11-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Your dealer swapped your plugs under warranty ?

They are required to be covered under the US emissions warranty, up to 18,000 miles or 5 years, whichever occurs first.

CanAmChris
11-16-2012, 10:24 PM
They are required to be covered under the US emissions warranty, up to 18,000 miles or 5 years, whichever occurs first.

I had over 21 thousand miles on it in less than 2 years when I got the plugs changed. Just so everyone knows, there is no reason for me to fault my dealer. They have gone to bat for me and hit home runs on all warranty issues. If the OEM wires suck, that is not my dealers fault and frankly I don't want to bother or blame them for something that is out of their control.

I ordered a pair of BajaRon's wires and I am certain that when I put them on all will be good. If not, I will take it back to the dealer and see if the coil is bad. If the coil is bad, I know my dealer will go to bat again for me and get me a new one under warranty.

I will let you know how it goes. I plan on a five state tour over the turkey day holiday. I might even end up in Lamont's neck of the woods before I head back to PA.

CAC

BajaRon
11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Whether you use my custom wires or not, I highly recommend changing out the OEM wires anytime you have the spark plugs changed. I get emails constantly saying 'I just had my spark plugs changed and now my Spyder runs worse than ever' with the variation that they changed the spark plugs themselves.

Why a dealership would even attempt to change the spark plugs without also changing out the OEM wires is beyond me. I understand that they may be trying to save the customer money, and that's fine, but this approach is an expensive gamble.

Surely they've experienced the high rate of failure that most of us know about.

I don't fault a dealrship for the poor quality of the wires, that is a BRP issue. But I do fault them when they send a Spyder out that isn't running well.

CanAmChris
11-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I should have gotten these months ago. The Spyder is running great now. Ron, you have another very happy customer and the sticker looks great on the back window of the cage. Thanks again for going the extra mile to get them to me overnight.

CAC