PDA

View Full Version : spyder is about to be an outside pet...

Laila's Dad
11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I have kept my spyder in the garage since I got it a few weeks ago. The time has come for the spyder to go to the back yard and my f-150 back in the garage. I know I need an outdoor cover. I found one real cheap online for $60. I have a RS-S. I will get the one from can-am if necessary but if I can save $140 then this is what I will go with. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-Full-cover/dp/B008SD5QAK/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5

asp125
11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Tie it down to prevent flapping - which causes scratches on your windshield. Or throw an old cotton bedsheet between the Spyder and the cover.

NancysToy
11-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Bike Barn (http://www.thebikebarn.net/smartbarn_model.html)

Laila's Dad
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Bike Barn (http://www.thebikebarn.net/smartbarn_model.html)

The one from Bike barn looks real nice....but $450 :yikes:

Dudley
11-12-2012, 01:22 PM
A bike cover is not the answer. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a 10 X 12 shed with at least a 10 foot opening. Then your Spyder will be protected from all the elements better than any cover could do. Trying to save a dollar when you spend $18,000 is counter productive.

Spyder777
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
That cover had 0 reviews. DON'T BUY!! Buy the largest cover Nelson Rigg makes, (for a small car) and use it if you want to save money.

That cheap amazon tarp will be shreds in 1 year. Why does your truck need a garage???

my Ram 1500 sits outside 365. Its a truck!!

Put your Spyder back in the garage.

asp125
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
A bike cover is not the answer. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a 10 X 12 shed with at least a 10 foot opening. Then your Spyder will be protected from all the elements better than any cover could do. Trying to save a dollar when you spend $18,000 is counter productive.

I built one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/3e/3e2fca81-b127-423f-883f-8ec8d8830138_300.jpg.. you need to put it on a concrete slab though.

ARtraveler
11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
If you are going to park the :spyder2: outside, a cover is better than nothing. There are other covers out there that will work besides the more expensive BRP cover--that is your choice of course. I have a BRP cover that came with my original RTS and I have a JC Whitney cover that also works on the other spyder. I like the idea of putting a sheet between the cover and the :spyder2: to prevent scratching in case the cover is blown around. Tying off the cover is also a good idea.

When I lived in Duluth, MN I had no garage for car or motorcycle. I had one of those storage sheds as mentioned and my motorcycle spent the winters in there. It worked okay for me.

asp125
11-12-2012, 02:09 PM
The drawback of those "cheap" covers is that they don't breathe particularly well. That leads to condensation issues and trapping moisture under the cover. I would stay away if they don't have some sort of vent to let it air out - even in a dry climate. I parked my dirtbike under a cover this summer and noticed visible surface rust forming on the brake rotor; not enough to worry but you could definitely see where it started to oxidize.

Laila's Dad
11-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I built one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/3e/3e2fca81-b127-423f-883f-8ec8d8830138_300.jpg.. you need to put it on a concrete slab though.

...if I had the skill set to build one of these and lay a concrete foundation I would be all over this project...but I don't so I guess I will go with the can-am cover. ;)

Dudley
11-12-2012, 02:42 PM
A concrete slab is nice, but not required. Just set it off the ground by a couple of inches on concrete blocks, build a good floor and you're done. And if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, Lowe's or Home Depot have contractors you can use.

Marker
11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
JMHO But you only get what you pay for:gaah: . I do not have a garage so I bought a Can-Am Spyder cover for my RT . Sure the cover cost a few bucks but very cheap compared to the price of my new spyder. The Can-Am cover has a full soft inner liner to protect the whole bike from cover rash not just the windshield. The sewing and hardware on the cover are top notch and the cover fits snugly and is easy to take on and off. If I was going to trailer the spyder i would snug down the windshield portion of the cover as the cover fits loose here. During the winter months I pay for indoor storage at my dealer. You should buy the Can-Am cover for your spyder RS S :thumbup:

NancysToy
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
The one from Bike barn looks real nice....but $450 :yikes:

Here's a cheaper alternative. http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/versatubes-carports-shelters/fabric-shelters-canopies/shed-in-a-box-10-x-10-x-8-grey-cover/p-1696972-c-10153.htm

Farmbanker
11-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Lots of good comments. An alternative that has been used in my neck of the woods is a 10 ft enclosed trailer with a ramp door. Double duty so you can trailer to various places if you want as well. May not be feasible depending on your circumstances but I can get used ones for about $2k around here......

asp125
11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Another option. Get an EZ-up with walls. You can close off the front with an add on zippered door.
http://www.ezup.com/accessories/images/sidewalls-01.jpg

asp125
11-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Some questions to narrow down the choices:

- is it exposed to the elements where you intend to park it?
- are there trees and limbs that could fall/drop onto the Spyder?
- HOA restrictions as to the enclosure?
- grass parking or concrete or dirt?
- likelihood of damaging winds, hail, snow or ice?
- critters, especially the nesting chewing kind?

SPYD3R
11-12-2012, 04:24 PM
CHEAP is, well, CHEAP....
like the man said... HOME DEPOT, SHED.... duh...

and get 1 of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

MikeinGA
11-12-2012, 05:08 PM
I have kept my spyder in the garage since I got it a few weeks ago. The time has come for the spyder to go to the back yard and my f-150 back in the garage. I know I need an outdoor cover. I found one real cheap online for $60. I have a RS-S. I will get the one from can-am if necessary but if I can save $140 then this is what I will go with. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-Spyder-RS-Full-cover/dp/B008SD5QAK/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5

What ever you do you must keep mice and other rodents away from your RS-S (they like to nest and eat wires) and block it up on wood to keep the tires off the ground. That's IMHO.

Mike

Sarge707
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Nothing thats Not Very expensive is going to protect the Spyder like a Sealed Garage?
I say leave the Truck outside and Be confident the Spyder is Not a Home for Critters ?
My Ford Sport Trac stays out All Year and we get about 6 Feet of Snow Most winters!

Recluze
11-12-2012, 06:33 PM

I have a brand new still in the unopened box cover for an RS that you can have for half of list price plus shipping. Do me a favor and buy it as it is in my way and I will never use it.

NancysToy
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
Nothing thats Not Very expensive is going to protect the Spyder like a Sealed Garage?
I say leave the Truck outside and Be confident the Spyder is Not a Home for Critters ?
My Ford Sport Trac stays out All Year and we get about 6 Feet of Snow Most winters!
:agree: My truck and Nancy's car have never seen the inside of a garage. That's where the toys live. A truck will weather the storm and inclement weather far better than the Spyder, and it won't be as unhappy about the moisture that accumulates.

coz
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
we have an SS two car garage, my wife's Scion, my Spyder. My truck sits outside, although in a carport that hangs off the side of the garage. the truck doesn't mind.

SllimG
11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I live in Texas too. Keep the RSS inside. The F150 will be fine outside.

asp125
11-12-2012, 10:48 PM
I think the obvious solution here, is to simply ......... upgrade to a bigger garage. Perhaps a 3+ car garage.

Spyder-Bob
11-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I cover my Spyder when it's in the garage, the car and truck stay out side..keep the :ani29: in side it will never be the same after 6 months outside.

Laila's Dad
11-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Here's a cheaper alternative. http://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/versatubes-carports-shelters/fabric-shelters-canopies/shed-in-a-box-10-x-10-x-8-grey-cover/p-1696972-c-10153.htm

I can work with this. The price is great and it is just short enough that it shouldn't stick out over my 8 foot fence(my HOA doesn't play).

I completely get the concept of "you get what you pay for" or "look how much you spent on your spyder so don't cut corners", but the reality is the spyder for me is a luxury. It is not my everyday vehicle nor something I bought with money I had laying around. For me it is a real financial commitment to enjoying life more. Paying 1 or 2 grand on a new storage shed just isn't an option for me. Now of course I don't want anything happening to the spyder due to my negligence but everything has to be weighed out with my in home responsibilities. The spyder is greeeeeaaaaaat! but is secondary to Laila's mom and Laila's soon to be needs. ;)

Laila's Dad
11-13-2012, 01:11 AM
Some questions to narrow down the choices:

- is it exposed to the elements where you intend to park it?
- are there trees and limbs that could fall/drop onto the Spyder?
- HOA restrictions as to the enclosure?
- grass parking or concrete or dirt?
- likelihood of damaging winds, hail, snow or ice?
- critters, especially the nesting chewing kind?

- it is exposed to the elements, unfortunately, if it isn't covered by something
- no trees in my back yard so I am good there
-HOA definitely has restrictions on what can be in the backyard and to make matters worse, I am on the board :opps:
- I will have it on my patio area until I get the 10x10x8 shed in a box which I will ask the HOA for permission but it shouldn't be a problem since it shouldn't be higher than my fence in the front.
-well hail, ice, snow are all possible here in Texas but normally never for long but I wouldn't want the spyder taking a chance. worse case scenario I can park in my mom's garage if weather was threatning the area
-critters should not be an issue other than burd poop.

Laila's Dad
11-13-2012, 01:23 AM
:hun: Please help me understand something. You live in Texas so why would your truck need to be in the garage? :dontknow: You can ryde year round down there so this doesn't make any sense to me. :dontknow: How big is your garage?

well the garage is a 2 car garage...My wife has a dodge durango(newer big body) that isn't going outside of the garage. I have an f150. They take up pretty much all of the space in there. I have just enough room to get my lawn mower out between those two vehicles. This is where I think I may disagree with most spyder owners. For me the "toy" is secondary to our main vehicles so the spyder may be brand new and the truck many years older but the truck gets me to work so the garage will be it's home in the winter. Now if things get real bad and I am not going to ride for a while then I will put the spyder in my mom's garage. I won't intentionally do anything to damage the spyder because I want it to last me for many problem free years.

Laila's Dad
11-13-2012, 01:25 AM
I think the obvious solution here, is to simply ......... upgrade to a bigger garage. Perhaps a 3+ car garage.

a three car garage really would end this whole conversation. Great point!

boborgera
11-13-2012, 07:55 AM
a three car garage really would end this whole conversation. Great point!

Na, That won't help for long, Eventually you'll fill it up and need a 4 car garage.
I recently doubled the size of my barn so i would have more room for my Stuff,
All that did was to give me more room to Stuff more Stuff in my already over Stuffed barn.nojoke

Bob Denman
11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Is there any room for some creative "stuffing" in your garage? :shocked:
We've got a two-car garage tht's got a bit of space between the vehicles. Lawnmowers and snowblowers also reside inside.
Some careful arranging has allowed everyting to fit without incident! :thumbup:

But my truck would sit outside in a heartbeat if it had to come down to something sitting out!
(time to head to Home Depot and look for a shed... Again!!)

major911
11-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I live in Texas too. Keep the RSS inside. The F150 will be fine outside.

:agree: The Truck is better equipped to withstand the elements than the spyder.

Jimmy Neutron
11-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Dude a cainsaw and a hammer.. Cut a opening in the house and put that baby in the living room.. She will understand and you will love watching tv from your new easy chair..

Bob Denman
11-13-2012, 08:50 AM
:yikes: That ought to be worth some VERY interesting dinner table discussions! :roflblack:

Blondespyder
11-13-2012, 09:30 AM
I get what you mean about relying on the vehicles that pays for your toy! :agree: My car stays in the garage as does the truck. Hail, wind, sun damage, and heat are horrible here. Our solution was an enclosed trailer that we managed to get fairly cheap :yes::yes:. We use it for bike storage year round and for going to big rally's. so, the cost was very inexpensive considering how much we use it! Paid for itself within a year nojoke

this is a good time of year to look for an enclosed trailer and get a good price. So many people do their upgrading during the fall and winter months.

Craigs list could be your friend :ohyea: you may stumble upon a great deal :thumbup:

shelbydave
11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
well the garage is a 2 car garage...My wife has a dodge durango(newer big body) that isn't going outside of the garage. I have an f150. They take up pretty much all of the space in there. I have just enough room to get my lawn mower out between those two vehicles. This is where I think I may disagree with most spyder owners. For me the "toy" is secondary to our main vehicles so the spyder may be brand new and the truck many years older but the truck gets me to work so the garage will be it's home in the winter. Now if things get real bad and I am not going to ride for a while then I will put the spyder in my mom's garage. I won't intentionally do anything to damage the spyder because I want it to last me for many problem free years.

:agree: The Truck is better equipped to withstand the elements than the spyder.

Could you compromise and leave the F-150 out? I certainly understand wanting to keep the wife's vehicle inside - She's very important, and deserves the space if available. That being said, my "toys" are in the garage, and the daily drivers are outside. We have NEVER paid this much for a vehicle, or toy for that matter, and I want to keep it as well preserved as possible.

Maybe at least for this year, so you have more time to plan? I'd hate to see some sort of permanent damage as a result of making a hasty decision...

grumpybob
11-13-2012, 10:51 AM

:agree: My F 250 and Xterra sit out all winter, have a 3 car garage. Wish we only got 6 feet of snow!! :yikes: :yikes:

asp125
11-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Is there any room for some creative "stuffing" in your garage? :shocked:

Currently our 2 car garage has the car, the Spyder and 5 motorcycles. Yeah, it's a logistical nightmare trying to get the lawnmower out.

Bob Denman
11-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Buy a goat! He'll be more than happy to live outside and keep the lawn short!:thumbup:
You can then sell the mowers; freeing up more indoor space!
Invite the goat to Thanksgiving dinner, and get a fresh one in the Spring! :shocked:

Laila's Dad
11-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Dude a cainsaw and a hammer.. Cut a opening in the house and put that baby in the living room.. She will understand and you will love watching tv from your new easy chair..

Ha-Ha!!! Man your ideal will have me and the spyder outside. lol

Bob Denman
11-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Then your Missus will have more closet space... :yikes:

MouthPiece
11-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Are insurance rates different if you keep it outside versus in an enclosed structure?

Chris

Bob Denman
11-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Probably not; although each Company may have its own different set of available credits that might be offered...
Good question! :thumbup:

mcaccamise
11-16-2012, 11:01 AM
That certanily brings up a good question as my insurer's first question was will the new Spyder be kept in a garage or not. here in Florida the weather doesent play to big of a concern unless its hurricane season at witch i will get the car and spyder along with the tractor safely and closely snugeled together in my garage.
When the weather permits the Lincoln and wife's car sit in the driveway and the :spyder2: always remains in the garage i guess its a matter of principle that the spyder remain inside clean and safe where as the cars will be more suitable to the outside elements which they are acustumed to.

Laila's Dad
11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
since the spyder is not a vehicle I use for work and is a recreational vehicle ,for me at least, it will always be second to my truck. If the spyder gets cold and doesn't start it will be a sad day and a shame. but if my truck with 100,000 miles on it gets cold and doesn't start it will be a real immediate issue because that gets me to the place that pays my bills each month. I am working on getting a good place for the spyder but once the cover comes in unless the temp drops considerably it will be outside and the truck will be in the garage. That trucks gets me to the place that pays for the spyder not the other way around. Spyder lover, Truck depender...

Bob Denman
11-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Spyder lover, Truck depender...

Good way to put it! :thumbup:

lookerjdc
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
that $169 cloth shed looks pretty good - just make sure you get lots of ground stakes to secure it from wind, and then you could use some tarps from a Home Depot or Lowes or whatever to cover the Spyder, again using plenty of ground stakes

i was gonna suggest something along the lines of http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Organization-Sheds-Garages-Outdoor-Storage-Carports/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbty1/R-203576573/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UKbZ7YUtHkE but the other one looks a bit nicer

Laila's Dad
11-16-2012, 08:17 PM
what about the ground? should I put something down to keep the spyder from sitting on grass and soil? I mean, I am in Texas and there will probably never be 2 weeks in a row were I can't ride not one day but just in case does it need to be on a solid surface other than grass and dirt?

NancysToy
11-16-2012, 09:35 PM
what about the ground? should I put something down to keep the spyder from sitting on grass and soil? I mean, I am in Texas and there will probably never be 2 weeks in a row were I can't ride not one day but just in case does it need to be on a solid surface other than grass and dirt?
I would not put down a tarp on the "floor". You'll just trap moisture. A wood plank floor, patio blocks, or several inches of stone is good, though, and helps keep the critters away and the tires dry. Some rat bait tossed in the corners will "discourage" pesky mice. I would not throw an additional tarp over the Spyder...it will collect condensation. A breathable cloth cover is better, but I prefer to jujst leave them dry and clean the dust off. If you can run an extension cord out there, a Battery Tender or equivalent is a good idea.

Laila's Dad
11-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks Scotty, I just got a 12v battery tender. I bought it on ebay. I got the spyder trunk liner, battery tender, and 12v accessory plug all for $160 total. Now I will have to pay $100 at the dealership to install my plug because I don't know anything about electrical stuff or auto for that matter and I don't want to mess anything up but it is cool as long as it gets done right!

NancysToy
11-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks Scotty, I just got a 12v battery tender. I bought it on ebay. I got the spyder trunk liner, battery tender, and 12v accessory plug all for $160 total. Now I will have to pay $100 at the dealership to install my plug because I don't know anything about electrical stuff or auto for that matter and I don't want to mess anything up but it is cool as long as it gets done right!
I don't know if this was your plan, but please be aware that the RS 12V outlet is powered only while the engine is running, so it cannot be used to charge the battery unless hooked up to the unswitched accessory harness at the time of installation (which isn't the norm). You might want your dealer to install the battery tender pigtail while he is doing things, if you don't feel comfortable with electrical work.

arntufun
11-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Installing a battery tender pigtail is as easy as making a PBJ sandwich........ nojoke

Some guy with a wicked cool Spyder made a video on how to do it. :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cCJ-9ANbA4c

CanAmChris
11-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Pop the saddle up and put the pigtail on the connections there. No need to remove panels. Took me 2 minutes and my tendor just plugs in and does a great job.

jimclarkf1
11-16-2012, 11:12 PM
They make one for the SPYDER, I have had it over 3yrs, use it at work, when it is HOT and SUNNY. I think the cost was less than $80,

arntufun
11-17-2012, 08:01 AM
Pop the saddle up and put the pigtail on the connections there. No need to remove panels. Took me 2 minutes and my tendor just plugs in and does a great job.

It is never recommended to loosen those jumper cable bolts under the seat. Many, many , many people have had problems tightning those back up.

IMO, the best way to intall a Tender pigtail is directly to the battery and besides, side panel removal is easy on a RS.

james danny
11-19-2012, 11:42 PM
I have kept my spyder in the garage since I got it a few weeks ago. The time has come for the spyder to go to the back yard and my f-150 back in the garage. I know I need an outdoor cover. I found one real cheap online for $60. I have a RS-S. I will get the onerom can-am if necessary but if I can save $140 then this is what I will go with. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Put the ford outside

jvicker
11-20-2012, 12:15 AM
Just a thought, if there is one close, how about renting a storage garage for a few months and storing the spyder there? Maybe a neighbor with some extra room in their garage?

Bob Denman
11-20-2012, 08:12 AM
VERY good point! :2thumbs:

Laila's Dad
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Just a thought, if there is one close, how about renting a storage garage for a few months and storing the spyder there? Maybe a neighbor with some extra room in their garage?

Do you mean a regular storage place or does it have to be a place that is made to store automobiles?

Bob Denman
11-20-2012, 12:21 PM
I'd check with a storage facility to see what (if any) requirements they have regarding storing something with fuel in it...

shelbydave
11-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I just measured our RT, and it looks like a 10x10 would be the smallest to go with.

I still vote to put the truck outside. I'm not sure about Texas, but here in NC, I'm more concerned about my vehicles out in the summer, than winter. That sun is a bear...

Silvervette05
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Yes, I keep my rs in the down stairs den when not in use