PDA

View Full Version : RT 622 (2010) Questions

MouthPiece
11-12-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm about to purchase a 2010 RT-622 Trailer. At the time I placed my order, I was unaware that the 622 trailer was not available in "circuit yellow metallic". Consequently, I now have a decision to make. Do I opt for the 2010 622 trailer (which will lend to savings) or go for a newer model? I'm familiar with several issues that have been discussed, albiet the "pins", tail lights, wheel bearings, water management kit, etc.

Are there any other issues that I need to be aware of in making my decision to purchase a 2010 versus a later model 622 trailer.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Ga Blue Knight
11-12-2012, 10:17 AM
As long as you get a good deal I would not worry about getting the 2010 model. The difference I price is more than enough to cover repainting and still leave a lot of cash in your bank account. Make sure you get the water management modification to keep the interior dry.

NancysToy
11-12-2012, 11:09 AM
You will need an adapter to mate an earlier trailer to the 2013 4-pin trailer module. BRP offers a replacement harness, P/N 710003227 MSRP $39.99, which they say is compatible with the 2011/2012 RT-622. The 2010 trailer would likely need a connector change (or be wired directly) to adapt this harness to the earlier 6-wire trailer, but it should be able to be done.

bullant12
11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm about to purchase a 2010 RT-622 Trailer. At the time I placed my order, I was unaware that the 622 trailer was not available in "circuit yellow metallic". Consequently, I now have a decision to make. Do I opt for the 2010 622 trailer (which will lend to savings) or go for a newer model? I'm familiar with several issues that have been discussed, albiet the "pins", tail lights, wheel bearings, water management kit, etc.

Are there any other issues that I need to be aware of in making my decision to purchase a 2010 versus a later model 622 trailer.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

I was told in the Dallas IMS that I can keep my 2010 trailer (and as Scotty is saying) buy the adapter kit. Just paint the trailer! If you find a good shop that can do it, it will be a lot cheaper! Project VH... Getting closer!!:popcorn:

MouthPiece
02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Tweety sprouted a lemon. Here is what it looks like.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524907_481842278518463_171265429_n.jpg

Lamonster
02-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Very nice :thumbup:

Marker
02-15-2013, 05:19 PM
AWESOME :firstplace::thumbup:

Bob Denman
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
:2thumbs: :firstplace:
I need somebody to help me convince the Missus that a 622 would be useful... :shocked:
In 2010 Orbit Blue; of course! :D

MouthPiece
02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
I need somebody to help me convince the Missus that a 622 would be useful... :shocked:

Bob, tell her that she'll be able to carry the hair dryer, all the makeup she wants and just about anything else that will make her beautiful on the trip. Trust me it works.

Chris

dave01
02-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Bob, Tell her its great for shopping. All the room she could need for those last minute, can't live without items.

Desert Spyder
02-15-2013, 07:07 PM
SpyderAnn01 should be able to convince her. My wife swore up and down we didn't need to buy a trailer until we went to last years Spyderfest and Ann got ahold of her. I had backpacks hanging off of both handlebar handles. Resembled a BRP paper boy. Now I use it to haul groceries, water, flags, someday the dog when she passes away. Some day I'll learn how to back it up. What a pain! Speaking about trailers. Has anybody put mods on their 622? I put Reggy's American flag on back...whoa...but do GloRiders fit on the rims. I was also wondering if some kind of flags on the corners in back might be a good idea so motorists in the daylight during gridlock or intersections can see where the end of the trailer is. It is pretty low.

johnnyg
02-15-2013, 07:40 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/524907_481842278518463_171265429_n.jpg
What Chris you trying to out do my blue:bowdown::bowdown:

Sting
02-15-2013, 07:45 PM
That yellow Spyder/Trailer Combo is off the hook! I am a big fan of the Yellow. Wasn't out when I bought but it would have been on my radar. I think your setup is slick. I hope you don't cover the paint up with too many graphics as it really makes a statement. Congrats!!!!

NancysToy
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

johnnyg
02-15-2013, 07:55 PM
SpyderAnn01 should be able to convince her. My wife swore up and down we didn't need to buy a trailer until we went to last years Spyderfest and Ann got ahold of her. I had backpacks hanging off of both handlebar handles. Resembled a BRP paper boy. Now I use it to haul groceries, water, flags, someday the dog when she passes away. Some day I'll learn how to back it up. What a pain! Speaking about trailers. Has anybody put mods on their 622? I put Reggy's American flag on back...whoa...but do GloRiders fit on the rims. I was also wondering if some kind of flags on the corners in back might be a good idea so motorists in the daylight during gridlock or intersections can see where the end of the trailer is. It is pretty low.

If you go by your local auto parts store you can get the a stripe lights 24'' they come with the double side tape on them and wire them into your tag light, they work great. Mount them with the lead wire in the middle of your tag, drill a small hole in the center under the plate that way you won't see the wires, seal the hole your done. I put the red on at night you can see your trailer in the mirrors with know problems.Even during the day they stand out.

TexasSpyder
02-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I live in a small West Texas town with 1 grocery store (and they don't mind gouging the heck out of their customers). I get off work at 10:30 am every Friday and take a 32 mile (one way) trip for groceries. It helped to sell the wife on the trailer plus it gives me a great excuse to ride. That is a nice combo I really like the Yellow.

J. D.

Phil
02-15-2013, 10:28 PM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24907-Phil-s-Mods&p=382934&viewfull=1#post382934

And

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24907-Phil-s-Mods&p=382934&viewfull=1#post382934

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24907-Phil-s-Mods&p=388323&viewfull=1#post388323

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24907-Phil-s-Mods&p=388340&viewfull=1#post388340

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?24907-Phil-s-Mods&p=388505&viewfull=1#post388505

That's about it for the 622 mods.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

Chupaca
02-15-2013, 10:31 PM
:thumbup::firstplace::thumbup:...:2thumbs:

Desert Spyder
02-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Phil, you are the absolute master of the LED. I'm sure I met you at the drive in last year under the big screen. I'm awed by what you have done with those little lites. Re your back up camera, if you did not have your toll booth thingy already in place, would the flip up monitor (I'm assuming its flip up) be in a position to view ok, considering the slope angle of the dash top? Is it viewable in the daylight? I'm looking hard (pardon the pun) at getting one.

StanProff
02-16-2013, 09:55 AM

For traveling 2 up:
I (at first) thought with all the on board RT storage that My wife and I could travel without a problem. Then we planned a 17 day trip cross country and during the planning discovered that more storage would be necessary. I'll admit that we do not travel light, we don't like to ware the same thing every day. Some people can travel a week with 2 pair of pants, we can't, so we take at least enough to do for a week or so then wash everything and start over. Without the trailer you can't store your helmets anywhere because all the compartments are full. I know the frunk will hold 2 helmets and the right rear storage will hold a helmet, but if your traveling all of these compartments are packed tight. No room for anything else. With the trailer you can take a cooler, a couple of medium carry bags, couple of soft bags, tools etc. and still have plenty of room to throw the helmets in when stopping and sight seeing along the way and many more things you would like to take along. The storage on the Spyder will have rain suits, gloves, misc. items quick grab items, extra shoes, extra jackets for a change in weather and more. Of course all of the advantages of the 622 trailer depend on how much you want to spend. Yes they are expensive. Other trailers will be less cost, in my opinion the 622 handles as good as you can get. It is engineered for the spyder and the handling is excellent! No bouncing, no fish tailing. If you and the wife are planning to travel more than a weekend, you might be a lot happier with the storage a trailer provides.

harrypottar
02-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Swore two things when I was younger, I would never ride an old mans bike like a Goldwing and never ever would pull a trailer. I've done both and enjoyed both, even with all the storage the Goldwing had, the trailer was the best accessory I ever bought. You could pack enough clean clothes for two weeks for two people. You still have room for rain gear, spare helmets, cooler, camera gear and things just to make the outing more enjoyable. Also wife still as room to pick up souvenirs along the way. Normally empty the trailer at the hotel and lock it to a post then we're free to run around with out it. Long rides around base we would still take the trailer with us because its just so handy.

with the RT-622, I added rgb halo lighting to the underside and around the two lids. The lights are hidden when off and offers a nice glow around the contours of the trailer. This makes the trailer stand out and it looks cool too. Added white rgb strip around the interior lip of the trailer, you can see every nook and cranny at night. I have to thank Phil's mod's posts on these mods. I also changed my side marker lights to marker, turn and brake lights helps being seen and my intentions at T junctions.

Harry

TicketBait
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the update in the original thread:thumbup: Well done:clap::clap:

spydaman60
02-16-2013, 02:11 PM
nice, real nice!!!!:2thumbs:

Phil
02-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Phil, you are the absolute master of the LED. I'm sure I met you at the drive in last year under the big screen. I'm awed by what you have done with those little lites. Re your back up camera, if you did not have your toll booth thingy already in place, would the flip up monitor (I'm assuming its flip up) be in a position to view ok, considering the slope angle of the dash top? Is it viewable in the daylight? I'm looking hard (pardon the pun) at getting one.

Thanks so much! It is my relaxation ;) cheaper than therapy, and my bride is a therapist!

You're correct on the angle of the monitor. Without the toll tag it would be at at bad angle.

Daytime- truth is, not so much. It's a balance of where the sun is and what level of polarized sunglasses I'm wearing. I'd be VERY willing to pay for a much higher grade system, if I could find it.

Having said all of that, I do get lots of benefit when pulling Darth Trailer. Less head turning to be sure it's ok and I really do use it when I'm backing up.

Phil, Tyler TX- from my iPad3.5 using Tapatalk HD

mcaccamise
02-16-2013, 04:51 PM
I for one am not partial to yellow anything but ill have to admit that you have one impressive looking rig congrats my friend,Have many happy miles your RT622 rocks.
Mike

Bob Denman
02-16-2013, 06:17 PM
That's one of the best things about this place...
It may not be in a color or style that you like; but you still can appreciate what has been done to it to make it more meaningful for the owner. :thumbup:

pickelhead
02-16-2013, 06:44 PM
...but do GloRiders fit on the rims.

Yes they do. you remove the center cap on the 622 and mount it directly to the GloRyder. once its all back together, just snap the center cap back in place. I did and it works great. GloRyders sent me the "how to do it Pics. Now I've got amber GloRyders on the the front of my spyder and red Gloryders on the trailer.