PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-question- HELMETS and Gear

Elembytes
11-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Hello:

I am making strides, getting closer to my goal of owning a RT-S SE5----

I have been looking at helmets and gear.

First of all- what helmets do people with glasses like? I have found FF helmets do NOT like my eyeglasses at all and can't get them on or if I keep them on they get messed up as well. This is true with FF and Modular.

I tried on a HJC 3/4 helmet with a face shield similar to what I wore at my MSF class. Worked well with my glasses etc., but am paranoid of what I am hearing about the safety fo these. I hear the chin in accidents get mangled quite often.

Second- I am 5'3" and am overweight- (Without being rude) can anyone guide me to good gear like jackets that are mesh, cool (I don't take heat well) and are multi-seasonal and made for short people and fat ones! (Sorry just stating the facts)

Thank you in advance! ;)

Blue Star
11-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Hello:

First of all- what helmets do people with glasses like? I have found FF helmets do NOT like my eyeglasses at all and can't get them on or if I keep them on they get messed up as well. This is true with FF and Modular.

I tried on a HJC 3/4 helmet with a face shield similar to what I wore at my MSF class. Worked well with my glasses etc., but am paranoid of what I am hearing about the safety fo these. I hear the chin in accidents get mangled quite often.

Second- I am 5'3" and am overweight- (Without being rude) can anyone guide me to good gear like jackets that are mesh, cool (I don't take heat well) and are multi-seasonal and made for short people and fat ones! (Sorry just stating the facts)

Thank you in advance! ;)

As for the glasses. I use a scorpion EXO FF, and I have no problem with it. I just slide the arms between the helmet and my head till it fits over my ears.

As for gear and the height/weight. I have short legs for my waist size (I refuse to admit I am out of shape, as round is a shape). I found that for me is to buy what fits my waist, and then have the length altered.

Jackets I don't have much experience in, but since I am between a XL an XXL. I went with the XXL so I can wear layers to help with the cold. More when cold, less when not.

d.o.spyder-rts
11-11-2012, 01:21 AM
In response to your first question, only you can decide how much risk you're willing to accept as to whether you wear a full face vs another type of helmet. Full face helmets will offer the most protection. That being said, up to my current helmet; I always owned full face helmets and yes, I wear glasses. It is a pain to get them adjusted correctly, but it can be done. I recently purchased a Shark Evoline 3. It is a modular helmet and it's much easier to put on my glasses. I still put on the helmet first and then my glasses. There are many different varies and brands of jackets and materials they are made of. I have a Tourmaster Intake 3.0 jacket it is a mesh jacket and has armor pads in the shoulders, elbows and back. It also has a rain liner and a thermal liner. I purchased my helmet and jacket from Cycle Giant. The web address is www.cyclegiantcom (http://www.cyclegiantcom). You may want to check out motorcycle dealerships in you area to see what they have to offer. Hope this helps some. Dale

mdale46
11-11-2012, 05:33 AM
My wife and I are also newbie's and recently purchased helmets after several weeks of "looking". I also wear glasses and wanted the option of wearing a FULL FACE. We ended up with 2 Nolan N-43 Trilogy helmets. Check the link.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RevZillaTV?v=M4sqZnqdtSs&feature=pyv&ad=9828588668&kw=nolan%20n43%20trilogy%20helmet

I might add, that for us the Nolan sizing chart was right on. They have been very comfortable and have had no issues with my glasses while using. Good luck! While many have warned against buying helmets via the Web, we got lucky.

teacherbob
11-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Hello:

Thank you in advance! ;)

I work at Renos part time and specialize in helping new riders get the right gear to get stated riding. Give me a call when you're ready and we will set up a time when we can get together and show you some good options for helmets, jackets etc.

Bob(Teacherbob)
913-484-1165

rcantrell52
11-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I wear glasses and have a Shoei RF-1100 and a Fulmer M1 helmets. I use the Fulmer helmet when I ride our RT because it has a J&M headset. When I ride our RS-S I use the Shoei helmet. I prefer the Shoei because I believe it is better constructed.

We use mesh gear made by Olympia. The jacket and pants have the removable lining. Hope this is of some help.
Reese

Sarge707
11-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Whatever Helmet you buy try to check the Made on date-Usually under the padding .
Many popular helmets were produced in 2009, HJC IS-33 for example and you don,t want a helmet with 3 years shelf life before you even wear it. If your buying online you can sometimes call the store and they will know the production model year. Just like Milk mand Egg,s-and Beer-- You want the Freshest batch you can Buy!!!nojoke

Oldmanzues
11-11-2012, 09:02 PM
I think it would be worth a trip to a Super Store for gear, if you can not get it at a local store. For example, there are kind of round head helmets and kind of oval helmets. What kind you wear depends on your head shape.
I personnaly do not mind paying a couple dollars more in person at a bricks and motor store. Does it fit right ? How does it fit on me ? and so. As usal you have to watch. A vendor at a rally told to go away after he caught me looking the helmets, he had sale for for a 1/3 off. Of the three, one was five years old, two were four years old. They did look like they were in the original box and pretty thou.
Oldmanzues

bluestratos
11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
The Scopion 900 is a flip jaw that can be coverted to an open face (it comes with matching sun shade that replaces the jaw). You can remove the entire jaw piece or wear it as a full face with jaw that opens or closes. It also has a built in sunshade that slides down when you need it which of particular help for us that must wear glasses. With the helmut I can leave my glasses in place and just pull the helmut down over my head then drop the jaw down and it locks in place. I just bought my second one (silver to reduce heat in the summer). They sell for under $300 and provide excellent protection as well as comfort. My only complaint is that it is a bit heavier than some.

NancysToy
11-11-2012, 09:59 PM
There are a lot of helmets that do fit well with glasses. Try a few more brands and models on. The high end helmets almost always have slots for your glasses to slip in.