PDA

View Full Version : TRAILER NIGHTMARE

namknight
11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Okay, let me see if I can get this all in here. Had a BRP hitch installed in June. Ordered a custom built tow behind from a company in Ft. Lauderdale. The harness is a 9 pin (which I had discussed here earlier). It's installed behind the left rear case. Told the builder, he asked me to send photos since he had never heard of one. He told me the other one he had made for a spyder had a 5 pin. Anyway he has been trying to match the harness. Called Canam and was
told that they would not sell him a harness as they are only for their trailers. He went to the local Spyder dealer thinking that maybe they could get one. No good.
I asked my dealer if they could at least relocate my harness he refused said it has it has to be where it is(reading here has dis proven that theory). I cannot even see where the harness is wired to.
The dudes is still trying to figure it out, but this crap has gone on 4 months.
Essentially, I have a beautiful tow behind that is worthless to me. So. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice or tips. THANKS!

NancysToy
11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
There are a couple of things I have to know before I can advise you in detail, but this issue can be worked out in a couple of ways. First, I need to know what type of wiring your trailer has, 4-wire or 5-wire. The BRP hitch is not compatible with 5-wire, so the trailer would have to be modified, or a different pigtail wired to the Spyder. In addition, I would need to know if the trailer has LED lights or if they are incandescent. From that point we can decide how to proceed. The RT-622 trailer harness or their later pole harness would be available, no matter what your builder was told, but they may cannot be used directly with a 5-wire system. Post or PM some details and we can work this out.

namknight
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
The harness is a 9 pin. I have been told that in 2010, I think, BRP used a 5 pin set up.

namknight
11-10-2012, 01:15 PM
The harness is a 9 pin. I have been told that in 2010, I think, BRP used a 5 pin set up.

Sorry. I miss read your post. The builder has used both 4 & 5 wire before. I don't know if has wired the trailer for anything yet. I will ask him as soon as he gets back from his business trip.

NancysToy
11-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Do you have the trailer in your possession now? If you do, just look at the connector (if there is one installed). It will likely have either 4 or five terminals. If the trailer is still with the builder, that could work well, too, since he could modiufy it to suit whatever we come up with that is easiest for you.

The Spyder trailer history has been a bit complicated. The 2008-2012 GS/RS has no factory trailer hitch, so it has to have the lighting wires tapped for a pigtail. Five-wire is easy, since it has 5-wire lighting. It also has no cruise control, so a converter can be used to adapt to a 4-wire trailer. The 2010-2012 RT has a factory hitch and a 9-pole Deutsch connector (with a built-in isolator/convertor module), as you have seen. The 2010 modules had 6-wire output, with the right and left brake lights separate. The 2011-2012 RT module has 4-wire output. There are no separate brake light wires. (Note: There is another variation from 2011, not worth mentioning). The RT cannot use a 5-wire to 4-wire converter, because it screws up the cruise control (and often a vehicle with LED lighting will not trigger the module.) The 2013 RT, ST, and RT-622 have yet another type of connector, and are still 4-wire, as far as I know. It is all very confusing, but it can always be worked out. As soon as you know what your trailer is, we can forge a path to getting you connected. :D

captblack
11-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Get this - CANAM P/N 710002442 and put the proper end on. The 9 pin goes to the bike and the 4/5 pin goes to the trailer connector. I think the trailer needs to have LED lights to work properly with the lights on the bike.

This thread might help as well: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32544

NancysToy
11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Get this - CANAM P/N 710002442 and put the proper end on. The 9 pin goes to the bike and the 4/5 pin goes to the trailer connector. I think the trailer needs to have LED lights to work properly with the lights on the bike.

This thread might help as well: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32544

That is one good solution if, and only if, the trailer has 4-wire lights. If it has 5-wire lights, the trailer will have to be rewired. There are other possible solutions, and one additional trailer harness from BRP that will work. As soon as we get the trailer information, we will lay out the available options for consideration.

emshorts
11-14-2012, 02:07 PM
good morning, i have a trailer that i built for my other bike, 4 way plug, this is what i did : i bought the tongue wiring harness for the rt622 trailer, the ends are color coded and marked. i wired up everything but the turn signals, then i added two amber marker lights to the back od my trailer, one left, one right, then added a two wire connector and hooked the turn signals. this way if i use the trailer on my yamaha i use the regular 4way and brake/turn lights together, if i us the can am the i hook up the four way plug plus the two way, (to the seperate turn signals ) and it works just fine. if you would like pictures let me know cbower6977@hotmail.com hope this helps