PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle License

Eihsauqm
11-07-2012, 02:25 PM
So I just completed and passed the Motorcycle Basic Rider Course this past weekend. I've been riding my Spyder since August, but have no two wheel experience... My wife also took the course at the same time, also with no previous experience. The course was phenomenal!:clap: Probably one of the best things I've done in a long time! We learned more than I would have thought possible in two days! :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
:2thumbs: Glad to hear it!
So what's next? :shocked:

Eihsauqm
11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
Something small for my wife to practice on and get comfy, and maybe another :f_spider: in the future! :D

muonwhiz
11-07-2012, 02:42 PM
It took awhile but I was able to find a 3 wheel course and drove my RT with it. A very good and informative experience, so much so that I got my brother to take it also! If you are able to take a 3 wheel class you will find it quite helpful, as designed for the differences we have when ryding our machines. Needless to say, the RT outperformed all other trikes and side car rigs that were there in both classes!

JaymeG33
11-07-2012, 04:13 PM
I took the 3 wheeler class also in Pennsylvania. Met some great people there! We had a blast, highly recommend it!

Laila's Dad
11-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I was going to ask if you took the course on a spyder or on a motorcycle. is the course different if it is done in a three wheel class versus the regular motorcycle course? Will the completion certificate be the same for both? I want to take the 3 wheel course but I will have to take my spyder there on a trailer both days since I don't have the license yet which will include renting a trailer plus the cost of the course. I figure if it is the same information I can just do it on the provided motorcycle if it is the same info???

viperred
11-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I am glad for you, hope what you learned helps makes you a good rider.:spyder2:

Jharpo
11-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I was going to ask if you took the course on a spyder or on a motorcycle. is the course different if it is done in a three wheel class versus the regular motorcycle course? Will the completion certificate be the same for both? I want to take the 3 wheel course but I will have to take my spyder there on a trailer both days since I don't have the license yet which will include renting a trailer plus the cost of the course. I figure if it is the same information I can just do it on the provided motorcycle if it is the same info???

It depends on the law in your state. Here in Florida the classes are very different. I've taken both of the courses. The "trike" class was a lot less difficult and a lot more fun. I learned so much about riding a three wheeler. They taught us a lot and I met some awesome people. There were 3 Spyders on sour class, a couple of converted Harleys, some converted scooters and a Gold Wing Trike. The endorsement is for three wheel bikes only.

Eihsauqm
11-07-2012, 06:14 PM

I took a two wheel course on the bikes they provided(250cc). That gives me a regular motorcycle license(2 wheels or 3). If I took the regular DMV road test on my Spyder, they would only license me for 3 wheelers. Do you have your permit yet? In NJ the permit was $5 and lets you ride solo.....

Raknid
11-07-2012, 06:42 PM
NJ does offer a separate trike course and license. My wife took the two-day trike course....

Boriken
11-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Congratulations on completing the course, this will make you a better and safer rider.

SpyderAnn01
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Congratulations on passing the course.

harrypottar
11-07-2012, 07:51 PM
:congrats:, on the successful course.

harry

DocRags
11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
In Florida, you can get a motorcycle endorsement (good for riding 2 or 3 wheels) or just a trike endorsement, depending on the class you take. Unfortunately there is a lot you learn in the motorcycle class that you don't need to know if you will only ride the Spyder: braking with hand and foot brake, info about the friction zone/shifting/etc, how/when to lean, etc. If you don't have any qualms about being on 2 wheels, you could take the 2 wheel class and get licensed that way. The 3 wheel classes are probably better if you know you'll only be on 3 wheels since they are strictly for 3 wheel riding. Motorcycle safety classes here had scooters for those of us that were going to be riding scooters or Spyders, so we didn't have to worry about shifting. I don't know if they offer that option out there. There are Gold Wing classes for trikes, but you can't take them without already having your license. Good luck getting your endorsement.

Laila's Dad
11-07-2012, 09:38 PM
I took a two wheel course on the bikes they provided(250cc). That gives me a regular motorcycle license(2 wheels or 3). If I took the regular DMV road test on my Spyder, they would only license me for 3 wheelers. Do you have your permit yet? In NJ the permit was $5 and lets you ride solo.....

I am thinking that is what I will do to, just use the bike they offer but my concern is that I would be missing out on some good lessons offered specifically for 3 wheel motorcycles. As for the permit here in Texas, you still have to take the safety course and if you only have the permit someone with an M has to be with you while you are riding so it is really better just to go for the license here. :sour: