PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone Camera Mount

BlueLine
11-07-2012, 12:37 PM
During the Lamonster Bar-B-Que ride I saw every video camera set up known to man or woman. Here's the direction I went. After seeing several posted videos, I knew I had to have the capability, and at the same time convert or use what I had, an iPhone 4. Optrix makes a Sport case with an enhanced 179 degree angle lens that houses the Apple 3&4 phones, I found one on eBay. Next item of business was where should I mount the thing. The package comes with a helmet mount curved base brackets and flat mount brackets. I like the option of a helmet mount, but didn't like the idea of having to remove my helmet to turn the camera on and off or change settings. I have mounted one bracket on one of my helmets, but I needed an accessible location that would allow me to utilize all the camera functions from a riding position.
I opted for the clear wind deflector on the lower side of the windshield. I used a Ram Ball mount attached to the wing. Prior to making a permanent mount I taped the mount in place and checked for uninhibited windshield travel. after insuring clearance I marked and bore holes thru the plastic with a pencil soldering iron, a hot nail could be used in lieu of the iron. The holes were trimmed cleaned up, then the Ball base was mounted with a rubber gasket and nylon back plate and stainless machine screws.
A trial run with the camera revealed a slight shudder over rough roads. To counter this I added an adjustable leg with flex foot to the wing. I attached the leg via a metal clip to the wing, but another hole bored thru the wing would have also worked. The stabilizing adjuster worked, no more shudder.
After installation my goals were met: a Stable, affordable, accessible, and removable installation. All for under $100 (Phone not 57090

Blondespyder
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Is this on an RT or RS? I have the RS and have been thinking of finding a mount but have no clue where to put it

BlueLine
11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
This was a RT. I'm not sure if the RS has the small Airwing deflectors and adjustable windshield like the RT. I did test fly the helmet mount and it worked very well. Your body dampens some of the vibration and shudder and you target everything with your head, but you have to stop and take your helmet off to stop and stop the camera.

lookerjdc
11-07-2012, 07:07 PM
I used a modified Ram mount on the vent in my windshield

it makes for a nice straight on view from my bike and there is minimal vibration