PDA

View Full Version : ST compared to my RT

vondalyn
11-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I was supposed to get the 2013 ST loaner on October 24-25, but mother nature decided to drop snow in our area. It snowed both Wednesday and Thursday nights. They said I could get it Saturday morning. Luckily the snow melted off Friday during the day so I went and got it from the dealership (about an hour away) Friday night. It was a COLD drive home and this ST did not have heated grips. I got used to the clutch pretty quickly, but having to use a clutch for a few days really made me appreciate my SE.

I had it for 4 days and put 500 miles on it in that time. Here are my thoughts on it:

The ride on this ST was really stiff. On the way home I drove over a manhole cover that was about an inch lower than the pavement around it and my feet actually bounced off the pegs. With more time in the saddle, I learned to compensate and push down on the pegs any time I had rough roads. It became a non-issue for the most part, but sometimes bumps would jar my spine a bit. On the other hand, this made it handle really well in the twisties. The tires were inflated to 15.5 and 25. I could feel tire roll in the twists at high speeds.

The spyder felt really lightweight and nimble compared to the RT, but that also made it feel more vulnerable to the wind. I got blown around a bit in some of the canyons (I don't think the spyder moved much, but I had to compensate more than usual). It was easy to adjust the windshield while stopped, but while driving, you can only move it down -- impossible to move it up with one hand with a clutch. If I'd been on an SE, I might have tried harder. Even at the uppermost position, you're looking over the windshield. I had it up all the way whenever it was cold/windy to protect myself a little more. My hands were much less protected than with the RT. I missed my heated handgrips. I tried 4 different pairs of gloves and even a mitten on my accelerator hand, and nothing kept my hands warm in the temps I was driving in. I'd have to have heated gloves if I didn't have heated handgrips.

I loved the electronic parking brake. I missed the glovebox and extra storage that I'm used to. Luckily most days Don rode with me so I had the extra storage along.

The brakes are better than my RT. No noise, and very responsive.

Acceleration and deceleration are about the same as the RT.

The clutch was the only thing I didn't like. I don't have small hands, but even at the closest setting, I was having to stretch for the lever and my hand ached by the end of the 4th day. Would I get used to this? Yes probably (actually I'd probably find someone to change the adjustment so I wouldn't have to stretch for it), but it actually made me hesitate to ride and that's not me at all.

Bottom line, I'd seriously consider getting an ST as our 2nd bike (we're not in a position to afford that right now), but I'd probably get the LTD so I have the heated grips and the glove box and the extra storage. And definitely an SE :)

There's probably more to share, but I'll let you ask about what you might be interested in.

Dianne

Bob Denman
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the review that's got some decent saddle-time backing it up! :2thumbs:

Lamonster
11-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Glad you got a chance to put some miles on the ST. I have the same unit in hand now but didn't have the same conclusions on all things.

I'm with you on the heated grips. After having them on a RT it would be hard to be without them now. That is an option for all ST's. For sure there is less wind protection so your hands get more of the wind than on the RT. Your whole body gets more wind than the RT but much less than the RS. After riding all three I feel like the RT is more like riding in a bubble and the RS and ST is more motorcycle like as far as wind protection. Don't get me wrong, I like riding in that bubble when the weather is cold or wet.

My driveway is pretty bad and to me it sucked up the bumps a lot better than my RT did. That's one of the first things I noticed other than there seems to be a lot less power steering at the lower speeds than my RT or RS. It's not bad but just different.

I was able to raise the windshield with one hand doing 45 mph yesterday and I wasn't able to do that on the unit I drove a year ago. Not sure if I just got lucky or what but in reality you should be stopped when you make your adjustments.

Didn't have any trouble with the clutch as it's the same as my RS so that wasn't an issue. I know that some folks with smaller hands have had issue with that on the RS. I still love the SE and that's what I have on order now.

I tow a trailer pretty much all the time so the ST was much more responsive to me off the line. I really want to take it to the track and get some times but it looks like Bristol is done for the season so that will have to wait till next year. I'm not expecting to see a whole lot of differences between the year models.

weapon
12-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi Dianne
How did the Akrapovick exhaust sound?
Do you know if it was the Sport or the touring?

Bryk
12-20-2012, 02:55 PM
"but I'd probably get the LTD so I have the heated grips and the glove box"

The LTD has a glove box too? Where is that, on top of the tank where it looks like a black plastic piece/panel is?

ARtraveler
12-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Glad to see your review on the ST. Still looking forward to a 5,000-10,000 mile long term ownership review.