PDA

View Full Version : Help with head light

tobor9
11-06-2012, 08:49 PM
My right headlamp bulb burned out so I bought a set of H7 bulbs and started to replace them,after removing gauge cluster and back cover to lamp i spent 30min trying to turn the lamp base ccw to relese holder,finally i got it out and after much work to get it out of base(book says simply pry out tabs and relese) yea right!but get it out and put in new bulb,now i can't get it to lock back in,i cant get my hand in a position to turn it cw and get it to lock,is there any way to remove the upper cowling so to get to the back of the lamp holders? why do they make it soo hard just to change a bulb??:banghead:

Bob Denman
11-07-2012, 08:20 AM
:shocked: RT here... so I'm even LESS help than normal... :opps:
But I would suggest taking a step back from the chore...
Go clear your head, take stock of what hasn't worked, what hasn't been tried, and what the logical progression should be...
Good luck; We're pulling for you!! :thumbup:

flamingobabe
11-07-2012, 09:03 AM
I feel your pain...we spent 2 1/2 hrs on a hot sunday in a gravel parking lot of a auto parts store in some little town in Montanna trying to change a headlight bulb....hg's hands are almost too big and got all cut up...my hands are handicapped and won't work...finally got it fixed...should not be so hard to change a bulb...I hope someone post an easy fix

tobor9
11-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks Bob,I did that a few times last night and could not get it in,there is just no way to get more then my finger tips on the base and I can't turn it:banghead:, so I put everything back together without the right bulb in and will have my dealer replace both when I take it in for it's 14k service as soon as I save enough $$$ to have it done. The left light still works and I have LED "Angel Eyes" so have some light on right. Both the shop book and the owners man. make it look like a simple job, but unless there is a way to remove the hole upper cowling(top of dash)I can't see how anyone could do this,unless there is a tool to grab and turn lamp,Also I had the "election" on the TV and was getting really ticked-off!!! Time to ryde:yes:

Bob Denman
11-07-2012, 09:42 AM
:agree: Last night's T.V. viewing didn't do anything much for my mood either... :gaah:

Campverdefela
11-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks Bob,I did that a few times last night and could not get it in,there is just no way to get more then my finger tips on the base and I can't turn it:banghead:, so I put everything back together without the right bulb in and will have my dealer replace both when I take it in for it's 14k service as soon as I save enough $$$ to have it done. The left light still works and I have LED "Angel Eyes" so have some light on right. Both the shop book and the owners man. make it look like a simple job, but unless there is a way to remove the hole upper cowling(top of dash)I can't see how anyone could do this,unless there is a tool to grab and turn lamp,Also I had the "election" on the TV and was getting really ticked-off!!! Time to ryde:yes:
The upper cowl panel separates from the lower half with a series of formed in place plastic clips. You have to use a small screwdriver or putty knife to slip in-between the panels to undo those clip points. You also have to remove the 4 screws holding the windshield. Good luck as getting it back together is as much a BEAR as the headlights!

tobor9
11-07-2012, 11:08 AM
The upper cowl panel separates from the lower half with a series of formed in place plastic clips. You have to use a small screwdriver or putty knife to slip in-between the panels to undo those clip points. You also have to remove the 4 screws holding the windshield. Good luck as getting it back together is as much a BEAR as the headlights!
Do I need to take off the mirrors also? I looked at the seem and saw some of the clips on the inside but was not sure as there were too many things in the way to see clearly if it would come off and there are no instruction about the cowling,don't know if i'll try after last night,but maybe?:dontknow:

shelbydave
11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
:agree: Last night's T.V. viewing didn't do anything much for my mood either... :gaah:

You were watching the wrong channel... "Big Bang Theory" was on TBS!!!

Bazinga!

medeff
11-09-2012, 02:13 PM
a small (6 inch) pair of channel locks allows you to get a hold of the head lights,
much easier on the hands too!