PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

Rando
11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
I wonder if the driver was texting?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/denton/Caught-on-Tape-Roanoake-177177461.html

Ga Blue Knight
11-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Actually it was a student pilot who screwed up. The driver was on a road at the end of the runway and the plane came in too low, too fast. The driver said that he never saw or heard the aircraft. The teenage pilot was so shaken up, but un hurt, that he said he will quite flying. It looks like the car is on the runway because telephoto lenses make things seem closer together.

Rando
11-06-2012, 09:19 AM
The driver was on a road that had the word "STOP" painted on it. The vehicles are expected to stop when aircraft are landing. The aircraft at the airport have the right of way! A "student" pilot is not necessarily a teenager. You could be 90 years old and still be a "student" pilot. It has nothing to do with age. The bottom line is the driver screwed up.

Bob Denman
11-06-2012, 09:32 AM
:yikes: Glad that everybody is okay! :thumbup:
It doesn't really matter WHO's right or wrong. Being right and getting killed can be a pretty small consolation... :shocked:

dannymax
11-06-2012, 09:41 AM
:agree:

Plus whether he's 6 or 60 it took some talent to bring that plane to a stop without a firey crash.

Probly a bit of luck involved too but whatever it was it appears the pilot has some!!

Very fortunate there was no loss of life! :shocked:

Rando
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
"The word STOP is painted on the road, but there is no actual stop sign, which, according to the FAA, could be considered an obstruction so close to the runaway. Airport regulars know the protocol when the runaway is active: stop and look both ways. Hyde says he’s working with the FAA to allow him to place bigger, more visible warning signs for new visitors along the fence that is parallel to the road in question. “We might be able to put some signage on that fence. It’s made out of plastic, so when you’re pulling off the road at least you can see a sign to your left,” he said. The FAA is investigating, but told CBS11 because the airport is private, the FAA has no regulatory authority over safety measures at the airport."

Lamonster
11-06-2012, 11:20 AM
And just how do you see a plane that is above you? The screwup is the road being there in the first place or the runway, either way it's not a good situation.

bullant12
11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Actually it was a student pilot who screwed up. The driver was on a road at the end of the runway and the plane came in too low, too fast. The driver said that he never saw or heard the aircraft. The teenage pilot was so shaken up, but un hurt, that he said he will quite flying. It looks like the car is on the runway because telephoto lenses make things seem closer together.

...A "student" pilot is not necessarily a teenager. You could be 90 years old and still be a "student" pilot. It has nothing to do with age.

57037 Doesn't look like he's 90 either...:roflblack:

Bob Denman
11-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Maybe they need to put up a sign that's far enough back for safety that says, :lecturef_smilie: "HEY!!! STOP up there, or get ready to die!"

ARtraveler
11-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Glad no one was killed.

jerpinoy
11-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the pilot was too low almost clip the fence before the suv. Glad no one is badly hurt. Remember I said before VISIBILITY, VISIBILITY.

bullant12
11-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Maybe they need to put up a sign that's far enough back for safety that says, :lecturef_smilie: "HEY!!! STOP up there, or get ready to die!"

Or "Beware of Flying Objects... Mostly PLANES!":shocked:

Bob Denman
11-06-2012, 01:03 PM
:agree:
Or "Caution; Pterydactyl flight path"
That'll keep everybody looking up! :shocked:

bruiser
11-06-2012, 07:21 PM
And just how do you see a plane that is above you? The screwup is the road being there in the first place or the runway, either way it's not a good situation.

Yep. :agree:

dannymax
11-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Yep. :agree:

Me too, it's a terrible design....with a very simple fix. Pilot activated red light.....they've had pilot activated landing lights at unmanned airports for many years, a red light is certainly no more complex....hell, make it fancy.....a few blinking red lights and a sign that says "Flashing lights indicate approaching aircraft....it behooves you to not go very much further!"

Or something a little less wordy. :shocked:

Sarge707
11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
1- The Road should Not Be there!
2- The pilot should NOT be landing that close to the End of the Runway- He or She should be touching down about 50 Yards Past that Point!

NancysToy
11-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Me too, it's a terrible design....with a very simple fix. Pilot activated red light.....they've had pilot activated landing lights at unmanned airports for many years, a red light is certainly no more complex....hell, make it fancy.....a few blinking red lights and a sign that says "Flashing lights indicate approaching aircraft....it behooves you to not go very much further!"

Or something a little less wordy. :shocked:
Good fix! Let's hope the airport manager is a SpyderLover, and reads it.

SpyderFun
11-06-2012, 11:09 PM
ANY road at or near the approach end of a runway is ALWAYS an accident waiting to happen.
The real question is when did the road go in and if it was after the runway was already there, what the heck were they thinking when whoever decided putting a road there was a good idea!???

-Mike
<Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk>

Ga Blue Knight
11-07-2012, 05:56 AM
The driver was on a road that had the word "STOP" painted on it. The vehicles are expected to stop when aircraft are landing. The aircraft at the airport have the right of way! A "student" pilot is not necessarily a teenager. You could be 90 years old and still be a "student" pilot. It has nothing to do with age. The bottom line is the driver screwed up.

Hey don't get mad at me I'm just repeating what the news caster said on TV. The pilot was a teenager and the driver was not texting and did not run the stop sign. The plane came in too low and too fast and was under the projected glide path. The pilot admitted that he scewed up. Sorry if does not fit your world view that drivers are always at fault for everything.