PDA

View Full Version : RSS Shenanigans.

MLavore
11-05-2012, 05:57 PM
So, I picked up my 2011 RSS Orange/Black on saturday and have been enjoying it immensely. I have a few questions for those that have an RS/RSS.

1. Do you find that your high beam is lighting up the treetops? I am wondering if maybe my headlight AIM is off.

2. This is my shift pattern, I would like to know yours for comparison. (I shift in the listed mph window) Also I am on an SE5 if that matters)

1st to 2nd : 25-30 mph
2nd to 3rd : 40-45 mph
3rd to 4th : 55-60 mph
5th : Haven't used it yet.

One thing I have noticed is that if I let it downshift is that I often wind up in second gear at 10-15 mph (such as when i'm slowing for someone turning right)
This results in me being at ~2200-2500 rpm in second gear which from what I understand is very bad as its wearing on the clutch and motor hard to get back up to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear. If I am back on the throttle after slowing it often refuses to shift back down to 1st if I attempt it manually. I am thinking that it is really taking too long to decide to downshift to 1st.

Bob Denman
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
I believe that the clutch wear issue will rear it's ugly head :shocked: more as a result of putting a load on the drivetrain at the lower rpm levels.
Decelerating shouldn't load it enough for the bike to notice! :thumbup:

Laila's Dad
11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Hello and welcome to the spyder world. I have only had my RS-S for a few weeks. You will definitely need to lower the headlights. I was flashed several times when I first started riding. The headlights are easy to adjust. I say that honestly. You will see a lot of "gear heads" and expert mechanics that know how to do a lot of stuff to the spyder but you will see that my name will only show up to ask questions but not for tech advice so when I say " it is easy" you can believe it. There is a little opening in front of each light that you just put a phillips screwdriver in to adjust on each side. It is in the book too. Once I did that just a little the lights went down. I too was flashing in the trees before the adjustment. Good luck!!!

major911
11-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Same thing here, and was even worse riding two up. I still haven't adjusted them yet but it looks easy enough.
:welcome:

I always downshift manually particularly engine braking. Your shift points seem right on, I usually shift between 4500-5000 rpm.

SllimG
11-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I had the same issue with my headlights. I adjusted them following the instructions in the manual and was still getting flashed. I kept adjusting them down until I wasn't getting flashed as often and I still had enough light to prevent overriding at reasonable speeds. As for shifting,you may want to read over this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?41346-quot-Do-s-and-Do-Nots-quot-for-new-Spyder-owners

Have fun and ride safe!

Dwanton
11-06-2012, 06:42 PM
congradulations -- it sounds like you are figuring things out .

keep doing what feels comfotable for you and your riding style . everyone is differant and you can shift at all differant RPM's and speeds , just depends on what you are doing.

keep searching around the forum and reading all the good threads -- there is alot of useful information right at your fingertips.

zrc
11-07-2012, 11:55 AM
So, I picked up my 2011 RSS Orange/Black on saturday and have been enjoying it immensely. I have a few questions for those that have an RS/RSS.

1. Do you find that your high beam is lighting up the treetops? I am wondering if maybe my headlight AIM is off.

2. This is my shift pattern, I would like to know yours for comparison. (I shift in the listed mph window) Also I am on an SE5 if that matters)

1st to 2nd : 25-30 mph
2nd to 3rd : 40-45 mph
3rd to 4th : 55-60 mph
5th : Haven't used it yet.

One thing I have noticed is that if I let it downshift is that I often wind up in second gear at 10-15 mph (such as when i'm slowing for someone turning right)
This results in me being at ~2200-2500 rpm in second gear which from what I understand is very bad as its wearing on the clutch and motor hard to get back up to an appropriate speed for 2nd gear. If I am back on the throttle after slowing it often refuses to shift back down to 1st if I attempt it manually. I am thinking that it is really taking too long to decide to downshift to 1st.

Shifting is more about RPMs than speed. I can easily be doing 50 in 2nd. I ride the high end and rock 5k to 7k on the up scale and prefer to keep my RPMs around 3k - 4k in slow down mode. But I like loud and moreover, in a crazy situation when I am slowing down and suddenly need to be somewhere else, I can move quickly out without having to choke for a second.

Lights - you can adjust them via the instructions in the owners manual.

Bob Denman
11-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Rockin' & rollin'; right Tito? :2thumbs:

BioSab
11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Under each headlight in the lower half of the Faring you will find a hole. Insert a phillips screw drives and by turning it counter clockwise the lights should lower. If they dont turn it in the other direction...:D:thumbup:

Godspeed