PDA

View Full Version : It's a good thing to be nice even when...

Lamonster
11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
....you've answered a question a hundred times or the answer is posted all over the place if they would just look for it. A lot of folks are not only new to the Spyder but they are new to message boards too. I spend most of my day helping folks get logged into one of my boards and I will say it gets real old after doing it for 12 years now. The weekends are the worst for me and sometimes I feel like I should have the day off and not have to deal with these folks and especially on Sundays.

This Sunday was like any other Sunday with just under 100 emails I had to deal with. One of them was from another board where the guy forgot his username and password. I reset it to what he asked and he was still having trouble logging in and was getting a little frustrated with me because he figured I wasn't doing something right. I saw where he entered a space in his username and that was a problem, I told him to take it out and he would be fine. He did and still couldn't get logged in and now he's really upset. I go through the whole thing with him again and he had forgot what password he told me to use and was trying to login with another password. After that he got logged in and was a happy guy.

The part that struck me was he was having trouble because he just finished up radiation treatment for his cancer. Now I thought about blowing the guy off a couple of times but didn't and after I found out his condition I was really glad I didn't, I would have felt terrible if I had known. I'm pretty much a healthy guy and have much to be thankful for and one of the things I was thankful for yesterday was I wasn't having to deal with what this guy was dealing with.

I said all that as a reminder to me and maybe you that we don't know what peoples skill level is that use this board and we don't know what kind of life issues they may be having at the time. It's a good idea to just step back if you can't be helpful in a reply and let the next guy get it. The members here are the best and I think you all do a great job helping the new folks and I hope we can set the standard for all other boards as how all folks, new and old should be treated. Not sure why I felt the need to share that but I did. :doorag:

d.o.spyder-rts
11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
:agree: and a big thanks to you for keeping the best spyder web site going! Dale

arntufun
11-05-2012, 05:43 PM
You can only wish I forgot my user name and password !!!!!!! :roflblack:

Thank you for having the best Spyder website. :congrats:

Bob Denman
11-05-2012, 05:46 PM
You are absolutely right; anybody can have a bad day... why try to make it worse for them?
Oh, :agree: with Randy! :2thumbs::firstplace:

ARtraveler
11-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Very good advice and information. :thumbup:

lookerjdc
11-05-2012, 05:50 PM
sometimes its hard to help someone that asked you to help and then they argue with you that you are doing something wrong.... patience may be a virtue but sometimes :banghead::banghead::banghead:

and as others have said, big thanks for running the best spyder site in the world!!!!!!!:bowdown::firstplace:

Son_Of_A_Moose_88
11-05-2012, 05:51 PM
I had the honor to meet with you three times and I must say that you are a really good ambasador to the Spyder community and may I add to BRP.

A real Gentleman

:firstplace::firstplace::firstplace::firstplace:

Alain

cohoff
11-05-2012, 05:51 PM
as a spyder and forum newbie i appreciate your dedication.

connie

flamingobabe
11-05-2012, 06:01 PM

Buttsy
11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Great words of wisdom Lamonster.................I suddenly feel like "Danielson" from the Karate Kid? You really dont look like Mr Miaugi though?:dontknow:

Ga Blue Knight
11-05-2012, 06:23 PM
As a three time cancer survivor, let me thank you for all of your time and consideration for the new folks. As you said it's hard to relate what's going through someone's mind when you are faced with the possibility of reaching room temperature. The Forum has been and will continue to be a welcome diversion for folks dealing with really heavy issues that make many of our Spyder problems pale in comparison. I wish this Forum was around when I had my reality test ten years ago. Thanks Lamont!

Daisyjoe
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I have never met you, but just by posting this you showed me another small element of your character. I am glad you decided to post this.

Netminder
11-05-2012, 06:27 PM
I understand both sides Lamont as I work for the Gov't in the IT dept and deal with what you described everyday. I also went through cancer treatments last year and understand what the guy was feeling. I always try to deal with people in the best possible way as everyone has a reason for feeling the way they do. And we don't always know what it is. hats off to you and all the good people on this site for their handling of question and problems. I try to do the same.

spydercoach
11-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Lamont, I am way out on the west and have not had the good fortune to meet you personally but because of your dedication to this web site you have made my experience as a Spyder owner much happier and smoother. BPR should be paying you for the good will you bring to all THANK YOU -THANK YOU- THANK YOU

farmerjim
11-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Like many others, I've yet to meet you face to face, but I hope to soon, hopefully Spyder Fest. I concur with everyone and will say, thanks for starting this whole thing. I can easily say that I would've never even considered a Spyder if it weren't for this wonderful forum. I just bought my Spyder this October and still am on here daily, learning and enjoying everyone here and you, my friend, have brought so many to this forum and to Spyders. I just hope BRP appreciates you as much as we do. Thanks my friend and Hope to meet you soon. Sincerely

Jim Dumey
farmerjim

Farmbanker
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Thank you for sharing Lamont. We have never met but your post confirms the kind of character that your previous posts indicate you have. Compassion is a rare virtue, glad to be getting to know so many folks who have it. ...... And so many who also have a very rich, if not slightly bent and enjoyable sense of humor.

retread
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
One more bit of proof that the man that runs this site is a man in the truest sense. Thank you for what you've done for us, and please continue.

john

JJW SpyderRider
11-05-2012, 08:49 PM
I was one of those who could not log in one day. Even when I cut and pasted the pass word I was not able to log in. After a few tries and a reset it worked. Thanks for the help!

bruiser
11-05-2012, 10:02 PM
It's hard at times to deal with customers. I have to everyday and I really have to be on my toes not to spout off. As you said, the assumption that you never know what is going on in someones life and as hard as it may be, you have to remain professional in your dealings with them.

bruisersbaby
11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
It's hard at times to deal with customers. I have to everyday and I really have to be on my toes not to spout off. As you said, the assumption that you never know what is going on in someones life and as hard as it may be, you have to remain professional in your dealings with them.

What he said! Lamont, you are a gentle-man and I appreciate everything you do. I am proud to be a part of this Spyder community and to have met you personally in Maggie Valley and at your home for the bar-b-que. God bless!

viperred
11-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Those were word of kindness, concern, consideration, and above all wisdom.:spyder2:

r1100rider
11-06-2012, 12:55 AM
sometimes its hard to help someone that asked you to help and then they argue with you that you are doing something wrong.... patience may be a virtue but sometimes :banghead::banghead::banghead:

and as others have said, big thanks for running the best spyder site in the world!!!!!!!:bowdown::firstplace:
While Lamont and Scotty were on the road to the owners event you could tell they were gone and I tried to answer a few? It was frustrating for sure some have never ridden any type of M/C before and Many of the ? were pretty simple and took lots of calming to respond I definitely could not do what you guys do with out going nuts thanks a bunch I do wish that everyone would keep it closer to Spyder and Motorsports topics this isn't Facebook thanks Lamont and Scotty

dannymax
11-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Everyone is dealing with their own particular issues, fighting their own battles....nobody is exempt.
It's sometimes difficult to keep that in mind but can be very rewarding if you do.

FaranH
11-06-2012, 08:22 AM
That's just some good ol' wisdom to live by, even if you aren't regularly in the customer service business. You just never know what's going on behind the scenes of someone's seemingly difficult demeanor. Thanks for the reminder, Lamont.:thumbup:

Raknid
11-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks for the reminder to all. What may be simple, mundane or common to us may be a new experience to others. I have a buddy who calls me for every little PC issue as it is not something he deals with every day. So for him it is all new and unfamiliar...and what takes me seconds takes him hours of frustration. So I say, 'just call and ask. On the other hand, I could never rebuild and sync my carbs and he can do it with his eyes closed. So we need to to put ourselves in the others person's shoes.

DRTSB
11-06-2012, 08:51 AM
If you treat everyone as if your going to need there help for something tomorrow, it gets easy, Lamont, you will have a place in Heven on the last day!

Dave ;)

SPYD3R
11-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Lamont;
THANK YOU, for all you do...
Dan P
Easley, SC

billpowell
11-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I've had the pleasure of meeting Lamont several times in Daytona and those of that haven't had that experience, you have missed a true professional. Thank you Lamont for all you do. Bill

SpyderDon
11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for a great site, you're the best.

Kratos
11-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks for this post. We can easily get tired of answering the same questions over and over, and get rude and say "There's a search function, learn how to use it." I don't agree with that response because I feel each person should get their own personal attention to their question and not have to "hope" they find the answer in hours of searching.

NorthStar
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks for sharing. I especially like the following line:

"It's a good idea to just step back if you can't be helpful in a reply and let the next guy get it."

There are a great number of people who quite frankly blow me away at times with the crystal clear insight they provide when answering a question, easy or difficult, posted on this forum. I am pretty sure that I am safe in saying that we all appreciate these sorts of pearls of wisdom. I would like to thank the "next guy" for taking the time to get so many posts back on track.

A good gentle reminder to all of us. Thanks Lamont

"Treat others like they expect to be treated". I find you can't go wrong if you get that right!

eddieshep999
11-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks Lamont

Living in the UK where Spyder sales are small - Getting information can be difficult from this side of the pond
I have used this website to get most of my information and assistance, and everyone has been helpful, understanding and willing to share experiences, knowledge, and their sense of humour

Lamont you set the standard (Gold standard by the way) leading by example and we should all
strive to follow it

You have my 100% support and thanks

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

can-am sam
11-06-2012, 02:35 PM
Thanks Lamont for your advice. We can all apply this in our everyday lives.

G-Man
11-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Glad you did. We all need a gentle reminder once in a while. Thanks Lamont.:doorag:

Oldmanzues
11-06-2012, 08:24 PM
I can only add, that I agree with all the good stuf. He is in person, the same man as he is here on this site.
Oldmanzues

bluestratos
11-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I have to say I am glad to hear this advice. I always try to help if I have the time and if not I do not respond. One thing that makes me giggle is when I have tried searches and failed then post a question someone says "just do a search" lol... Some people may have the be much more search savey but 90% of the time searching for me comes back with so many posts it is impossible to read them all.

That being said most members bend out of their way to help which is what I believe is the true beauty of this forum. I can't say thanks enough to those that share their experience or direct me to helpfull information. I have been associated with many forums relating to my various interests but this one is by far the most respectful and upbeat of any of them.

So thanks again for everyones help in the past :-)

8 legs nz
11-08-2012, 03:09 AM
Thanks for sharing Lamont :bowdown:

MarkLawson
11-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Reminds me of something someone else I love and admire said,

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Thanks Lamont!

mick ruhdorf
11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi lamont just thought i would say thanks for what is undoubtedly the best spyder forum on this little green & blue globe .
cheers mick:doorag:

GeoffCee
11-09-2012, 07:39 AM
I spend a portion of every day reading the posts on SpyderLovers. When I'm away from home without my laptop it is always in the back of my mind that when I get home I'll have the pleasure of catching up.

Whatever you are doing with this site you must be doing it right!

Many thanks, Lamont.

Halesangel13
01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Lamont,

As one of the newer members of Spyderlovers, I would like to say how much I appreciate both you and Len for all of the time and energy you spend to help those of us that are new. I have sent you a couple of private messages and you have very kindly responded.

The Spyder community really is a family. Thank you from one of your newer members.

Cathy (halesangel13)

Rotaxer
01-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Thanks Lamonster, I have been on many forums over the years and I have to say this one is a treat to be on. Every body gets along and there is a lot of respect, and that DOES NOT HAPPEN without a great site leader! As for searching, for most parts I have a lot of experience but they can sometimes be a pain in the BUTT. So newbies need help, and many lurk for a long time and if someone jumps down their throat the first time they ask for help, they will never be back. Keep up the great job!

otter28169
01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
I want to say thanks to everyone. I am the newbie asking the questions and always finding helpful answers. A lot of times it is easier to ask a dumb question than spend hours searching. We have a good group here and I am glad to be part of it.:D

Hberninger
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for your post. It helps all of get grounded in what is important. Our son is an RN in a big hospital in Toledo, OH. Whenever I get in a woe-is-me mood, all I have to do is talk to him and he talks about the folks he cares for each day. Then I get out of my funk and thank the Lord for my blessings.
Bernie

btcherm
01-11-2013, 06:29 AM
thank you for all you do , and for the help you give all of us ,and for when we post in the wrong spot, like I seam to do every not and then, thank you for your help my friend.