PDA

View Full Version : Two days without my Spyder

xpbqn
11-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, long story. Short is that I overtighten my motor oil plug and I broke it. Lucky me that I was able to get the threaded part out without any harm to the motor casing. All part stores close today, so, tomorrow it is.

Magnetic oil plug - M12 1.5

Bob Denman
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
So make sure to vote while you're out getting the parts! :thumbup:
And the Best of Luck to you in getting everything back together!

NancysToy
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Pick up a torque wrench and the appropriate hex socket while you are chasing parts. nojoke

retread
11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I use the hex wrench that came with the Spyder to tighten the drain plugs, gets them tight without worrying about stripping/breaking.

john

xpbqn
11-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Pick up a torque wrench and the appropriate hex socket while you are chasing parts. nojoke

I have a torque wrench, in 1/2", and I thought I had the adapter to convert it to 3/8". Apparently, I didn't. So, I used my own force.

And getting either the adapter or the 3/8 torque is exactly what I'll do this time. :(

Bob Denman
11-06-2012, 11:58 AM
Don't you just hate it when this sort of thing happens... and you're stuck with nobody else to blame? :shocked: :gaah:
That's why the dog is my constant companion! :roflblack:

jerpinoy
11-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I checked my hand torque calibration due every six months. lol:yes::yes::yes::yes:but torque wrench are more reliable.

NancysToy
11-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I have a torque wrench, in 1/2", and I thought I had the adapter to convert it to 3/8". Apparently, I didn't. So, I used my own force.

And getting either the adapter or the 3/8 torque is exactly what I'll do this time. :(
I'd be surprised if any 1/2' torque wrench would read low enough accurately. Remember that a torque wrench should read above 10%-20% of its scale for an accurate measurement. Also remember to back off all ratcheting torque wrenches for storage. If the spring takes a set, you can easily overtorque. I have broken chrome moly head studs when I made that mistake.

MMcc
11-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Scotty; Thanks for the reminder. I know I was taught that years ago but it is something I have neglected to do. Went out to the shed and made the correction on both 1/2 and 3/8 bars.

NancysToy
11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Scotty; Thanks for the reminder. I know I was taught that years ago but it is something I have neglected to do. Went out to the shed and made the correction on both 1/2 and 3/8 bars.
If they have been that way very long you may want to test them against a beam wrench to see if they are still accurate...or send them in for calibtration. I have seen them go wacko just sitting under tension foe a few days