PDA

View Full Version : Just completed Street Masters Advanced Cornering Workshop

Ride Master
11-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Workshop was in Rosamond, CA above Lancaster at The Horse Thief Mile closed-course on Saturday last.

I had the good fortune to have Walt Fulton, 4-time winner at Daytona as my personal Spyder RT Instructor.

red Rau of the Spyder Five was there and it was great to meet him. Walt used Fred's RT for the course work. Walt is very proficient on the RT.

26 total riders, 1 RT and one Goldwing Trike meant a group of two 3-wheelers led by Walt. What a blast. I thought I had mastered the twisties and cornering. Ha! I had no idea the level of mastery I could achieve. Totally amazing and complete breakthrough for me.

Returning home to South Orange County, I rode the Angeles Crest Highway though the mountains with miles of twisties. Glancing at the speedometer, I was surprised at the higher speed through the twisties along with an increased comfort level and ease of cornering.

Best experience ever! Think I'll do it again when they come through next year.

Bob Denman
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
:congrats: Do they hold these courses in other areas?

Ride Master
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Yes, check out their website
http://streetmasters.info

Illinois Boy
11-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Yes, check out their website
http://streetmasters.info

Any basic tips you can share?

You mentioned on another post where you liked to sit-up when cornering... Has your opinion changed after the class?

Ride Master
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Any basic tips you can share?

You mentioned on another post where you liked to sit-up when cornering... Has your opinion changed after the class?

Oh yes, you can forget about that "Mastering The Twisties" post. I have spent the best of 8,000 miles perfecting a cornering and twisties method that worked for me but does not compare to the methods taught by Street Masters. I still believe there is no need for an exaggerated lean at lower speeds

Not sure if I should be posting the methods taught by Street Masters for fear I might misquote them or leave something out and get you hurt or irritate Street Masters. I plan to take the course again.

If you want, send me a PM with your email and I will send you what I remember. It won't take the place of the class.

Ride Master
11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Check their website for dates near you.

asp125
11-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Amazing how just when you think you've got this thing down, and someone shows you a way to take your riding to a new level, isn't it. :2thumbs:

Bob Denman
11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the link! :thumbup:
I wonder If it's okay to ask Santa for something like this?
After all; I'd be doing it ONLY for the added safety factor in the twisties... HONEST! :shocked:

Ride Master
11-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Amazing how just when you think you've got this thing down, and someone shows you a way to take your riding to a new level, isn't it. :2thumbs:

Yes, but which apex? lol

rc51ny
11-05-2012, 04:24 PM
I would love to take this class--wish they had something like that here in NYS.

asp125
11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Yes, but which apex? lol

Hah.. easy answer.. the correct one (apex), of course. ;)

Well that does bring up a question. Can a Spyder be trail braked to the apex? Or does the nanny put a stop to all that fun?

Ride Master
11-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Hah.. easy answer.. the correct one (apex), of course. ;)

Well that does bring up a question. Can a Spyder be trail braked to the apex? Or does the nanny put a stop to all that fun?

First time I ever experienced the nanny was during the U-Turn exercise; I began my u-turn and gave it full throttle; the nanny took over and gently completed the u-turn.
Later on the track, the nanny kicked in on about 8 turns during the free-ride portion of the afternoon; the newly acquired skills pushed the nanny to the limit a few times. The nanny is just not going to let the Spyder tip over.

daveinva
11-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I tend to be an early apex guy on public roads, but the nice thing about the Spyder is you can TOTALLY brake through the apex if necessary-- no worries about dropping it! And, a little gas at the right moment and you can free the rear wheel just enough to kick it around a turn without tripping the Nanny-- takes practice, but great fun when it all just clicks.

Ride Master
11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I tend to be an early apex guy on public roads, but the nice thing about the Spyder is you can TOTALLY brake through the apex if necessary-- no worries about dropping it! And, a little gas at the right moment and you can free the rear wheel just enough to kick it around a turn without tripping the Nanny-- takes practice, but great fun when it all just clicks.

Hi Dave, I suggest taking the course. It's a hoot!

Jdsd1
12-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Thats sounds great. Do you know when they will have the course again?Are there others available.

Joe
12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
I would love to have this course available to us here in Colorado. It would make those mountain rides so much more enjoyable.

Bob Denman
12-19-2012, 12:54 PM
I would love to take this class--wish they had something like that here in NYS.

You and me both! :2thumbs:

Ride Master
12-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Check their website

http://www.streetmasters.info/index.html

Bob Denman
12-19-2012, 03:08 PM
From what I could find, (admittedly after only a brief search! :opps:); They're pretty much a California and Nevada deal...

Ride Master
12-19-2012, 03:55 PM
Good reason for heading West for a few days

MRH
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
I just signed up for their November 2 class, and they replied letting me know they need a couple more three wheelers to be able to accommodate me (and that they would reach out and do their best to find those riders).

I thought that I would put the word out here in hopes of helping that process along. There don't seem to be many workshops that are geared to Spyders, but this is one of them. The workshop is in Lancaster, which isn't particularly far from Los Angeles.

http://www.streetmasters.info

Mark

Harpo
04-29-2013, 10:54 PM
I rode with my bike group this weekend 475 miles. Cornering is still a problem with me. Had trouble keeping up in corners and felt out of my comfort zone. Sounds like that is a class I need. Affording is another thing.

MRH
04-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Agreed - it certainly isn't cheap. I'm looking at it as an investment in my safety.

Harpo
04-30-2013, 11:41 PM
I just signed up for their November 2 class, and they replied letting me know they need a couple more three wheelers to be able to accommodate me (and that they would reach out and do their best to find those riders).

I thought that I would put the word out here in hopes of helping that process along. There don't seem to be many workshops that are geared to Spyders, but this is one of them. The workshop is in Lancaster, which isn't particularly far from Los Angeles.

http://www.streetmasters.info

Mark
Is it the precision cornering class that you signed up for. I know the sight said 4 or more a discount. Would be nice to get 4 Spyders to take it. I want to try to swing it.

MRH
04-30-2013, 11:52 PM
It is that workshop. I' think the discount would apply if you simply mention that you are "part of the same group as Mark Halper." Once we have four, I'll get in touch with them and "remind" them we are a group.

SpyderRush
05-05-2013, 01:13 AM
It is that workshop. I' think the discount would apply if you simply mention that you are "part of the same group as Mark Halper." Once we have four, I'll get in touch with them and "remind" them we are a group.

IM new to the Spyder community and would be interested in this course.

MRH
05-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Outstanding. You just sign up though their website - mention that you are in the same group as I am (and when we get two more people to the same, we'll all get a 20% discount).