PDA

View Full Version : Risers for handlebars

RocketLady
02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
For those of you who have installed the Riser from BRP for the Spyder, do you think spacers and longer bolts would work as well? Thanks for you advice.

wildwillie
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Once you get it down that far why not install the proper part. :bigthumbsup:wildwillie

srarndt
02-17-2008, 02:46 PM
What I'd love to hear from folks with the riser:
1. How tall are you?
2. What is your inseam? (to know if you've got long legs or a long trunk)
3. How you like the ride with the riser installed?

Thanks!

Spyderryder798
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Im installing my riser today.

Im 6'5" and my inseam is 36....I'll let you know how I like the ride after i can get this thing put back together.
But I imagine that it will be great, not having to lean over as much to reach the bars.

mdr
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm six feet tall and my inseam is 33. I had the dealer install the riser because I don't trust myself! I really like the addition of the riser--it's a much more comfortable ride for me. It took me a day or two to dial in the perfect riding position, and now it's great.

jeuchler
02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Im installing my riser today.
....I'll let you know how I like the ride after i can get this thing put back together.
But I imagine that it will be great, not having to lean over as much to reach the bars.

...So, how did the install go??

Wijllie
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
...So, how did the install go??

I hope he tightened the screws enough ;D

kma10-4
02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
installed mine wish i would have marked up on bars before removing.where a littloe hasssel to get bars in position so upper and lower cover's where flush together with each other.ok now i like them i'am 6'1 and glad i added them my wife rides it mostly and she hardly notices (newby) but i can tell now waiting for highway pegs :bigthumbsup:

Slim Jim
02-21-2008, 03:38 PM
I finally got my bike 3 months early woo woo!! I am interested in the handle bar risers but the dealer hasn't heard about them and I don't see them in my accessory book. Can some one give me a hint where I can get one. By the way how tall is the spacer? I am 6'-2 with 36" inseam. I don't like bending over anymore than I have too.

Director
02-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I finally got my bike 3 months early woo woo!! I am interested in the handle bar risers but the dealer hasn't heard about them and I don't see them in my accessory book. Can some one give me a hint where I can get one. By the way how tall is the spacer? I am 6'-2 with 36" inseam. I don't like bending over anymore than I have too.

The risers are on the BRP Spyder website. Part #219400087
Regards,
Bruce

Slim Jim
02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks Bruce appriciate the help.

Star Cruiser
02-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I am wondering about risers as well. I think for opposite reasons. I always put risers on my Cruisers because I am short (5'4"). I found that the reach was easier (short arms too). So I am wondering if I should stick with my original plan and have the bike delivered with the risers installed. Do you think it will be too "tall" for me with them on?

RocketLady
02-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I am short (5'3") and I can't wait to get the risers ! Being short you will have pressure on your wrists from leaning forward. It really is comfortable but that 1 inch will make a difference for you that I think you will like.

aubierules
03-14-2008, 08:17 AM
anybody have any reports on the risers yet...im 6'2 and probably will want them when i get my spider....i have a ninja and i had to put risers on it cause it hurts my back to lean over....anyway what are the results? good? bad? ugly? ;D

Trypod
03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
anybody have any reports on the risers yet...im 6'2 and probably will want them when i get my spider....i have a ninja and i had to put risers on it cause it hurts my back to lean over....anyway what are the results? good? bad? ugly? ;D

I put the riser on myself...took about 30 mins (except for dropping the top inside screw twice and having to go fishing for it, another story, another time)...I'm 5'9" but fall into the older category and the extra inch to inch and a half sure do help me with sitting up straighter and taking some pressure off the lower back. I am also able to keep my wrists straighter and relieve some pressure on them as well. All in all, in my opinion, probably one of the best $32 mods you can make. I'm happy with the way the Spyder feels now and handles. :bigthumbsup:

Spyderryder798
03-18-2008, 01:10 AM
Just my two cents, for what its worth...

The riser itself was a fantastic addition...the best thing for the best price as far as an accessory.

But here is my warning...and I say this from experience.
If you try to install it yourself (which I did), make sure to use a torque wrench to tighten the main bolt holding on the riser (which I didn't) and not a regular wrench.

I guess I didn't know my own strength and when I was tightening the riser into place, I snapped the bolt right off.
Come to find out that that bolt is part of the steering shaft. To replace the bolt, you have to pull the entire shaft out.

I spent most of this last Sunday pulling the entire bike apart, just to get to where the steering shaft is connected to the "axel".

I got it out though (and have the resulting nicks and cuts on my arms to prove it) and now Im waiting the one to two weeks for the new shaft to come in from BRP.
The replacement shaft was only like $140.00....but if I had just used a torque wrench, I would have saved myself alot of aggravation.

Anyway...just a warning for do-it-yourselfers like myself.

Wijllie
03-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Just my two cents, for what its worth...
The riser itself was a fantastic addition...the best thing for the best price as far as an accessory.
But here is my warning...and I say this from experience.
If you try to install it yourself (which I did), make sure to use a torque wrench to tighten the main bolt holding on the riser (which I didn't) and not a regular wrench.
I guess I didn't know my own strength and when I was tightening the riser into place, I snapped the bolt right off.
Come to find out that that bolt is part of the steering shaft. To replace the bolt, you have to pull the entire shaft out.
I spent most of this last Sunday pulling the entire bike apart, just to get to where the steering shaft is connected to the "axel".
I got it out though (and have the resulting nicks and cuts on my arms to prove it) and now Im waiting the one to two weeks for the new shaft to come in from BRP.
The replacement shaft was only like $140.00....but if I had just used a torque wrench, I would have saved myself alot of aggravation.
Anyway...just a warning for do-it-yourselfers like myself.

Wow, thanks for sharing this info :)
Question; could it be if you install it and tighten it to hard it would be 'near' broken so on one
day you have the handlebars apart from the bike in a turn? Or do you feel the mounting is good
enough to ignore this question...

Spyderryder798
03-18-2008, 07:47 PM
the mounting is good enough that the bars wouldn't just suddenly separate from the bike if the bolt broke going around a corner.
I rode mine for two days with the bolt completely broken off (no freeways or high speeds), but it was in my head that the only thing holding my handlebars to the bike was the grooves that the riser fit onto.

So, for my own piece of mind and definitely for my own safety, I chose to be without my bike for a couple of weeks while i wait for the new shaft to come in.

RocketLady
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
I now have the riser on my Spyder. I am very pleased with the "feel", less pressure leaning forward on my wrists. What was a surprise for me is the change it made in my side mirrors ! Now I must have the mirror extensions.

kma10-4
03-26-2008, 10:27 PM
I now have the riser on my Spyder. I am very pleased with the "feel", less pressure leaning forward on my wrists. What was a surprise for me is the change it made in my side mirrors ! Now I must have the mirror extensions.

the mirror extensions are great my wife loves them....i got big points for installing them ... the difference from them and stock is like night & day.i like the risers and highway pegs ROCK

Calzonejoe
03-27-2008, 01:21 PM
mirror extentions? highway pegs? where do i find these cool parts? i'm 6'2 and my elbows cut into half my mirror view.

Lamonster
03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0 :doorag: :spyder:

RocketLady
03-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Click here for price and to order Kewlmetal Mirror Extensions for your Spyder. You must call them and mention SPYDERLOVERS.COM for a discount price. They are in stock and shipping now. Waiting for mine.

Star Cruiser
03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I am short (5'3") and I can't wait to get the risers ! Being short you will have pressure on your wrists from leaning forward. It really is comfortable but that 1 inch will make a difference for you that I think you will like.
Thanks Rocket Lady. Most of the posts seemed to indicate risers would be best for the taller riders. I had them on my V-star and it was a welcome addition. They were pull-back as well. (2" rise 1 1/2" pull back I think). I am just not sure about the body positioning versus a Cruiser. Appreciate your feedback

RocketLady
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
The riser has helped me sit taller on Spyder. That changes the way I see in the side mirrors, also over the windshield, and especially less pressure on my wrists. Really that 1" + riser (even for shorter people) makes a bigger difference that I ever thought it would, also the handlebars come back slightly. It makes riding longer, more fun and comfortable. Rocketman, my hubby, did this install. Advise if you need shortcut directions.

wildwillie
03-29-2008, 06:43 AM
I was just reading can-am talks ,there is a post but a guy that had a riser installed and his shaft broke just below the nut when installing riser.by a factory tech with a torque wrench. (49nm) may be to tight or shaft to soft.wildwillie

Lamonster
03-29-2008, 07:20 AM
I was just reading can-am talks ,there is a post but a guy that had a riser installed and his shaft broke just below the nut when installing riser.by a factory tech with a torque wrench. (49nm) may be to tight or shaft to soft.wildwillie

I've seen more bolts broken with torque wrenches than without. ::) I never use a torque wrench on stuff like that but I was a Ironworker for 20 years or so and I've torqued a few bolts in my day. ;D :doorag:

dryheat
03-29-2008, 10:55 AM
I have seen more than a few cases in which fasteners are improperly heat treated... causing hydrogen embritlement. The bolts cannot withstand standard torque levels and even if they don't snap are frequently weakened and cracked.
I hope this is not a systemic problem with one of BRP's suppliers. :dontknow:

NancysToy
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I've seen more bolts broken with torque wrenches than without. ::) I never use a torque wrench on stuff like that but I was a Ironworker for 20 years or so and I've torqued a few bolts in my day. ;D :doorag:

Big problem with the modern ratchet type torque wrenches is that people don't back them off when storing them. The spring inside eventually takes a set, and causes the actual torque to be more than the reading. I remember my first incident with this, installing chrome moly head studs in a dragster engine, with a borrowed torque wrench. Broke the HD studs! Put the ratchet up against a beam type wrench and it was way off. Now I alway check calibration of my torque wrenches against a beam wrench regularly.
-Scotty

aubierules
04-08-2008, 12:48 PM

i mostly just "torque" people off! ;D ::)

ps..trap door spider count increase :spyder:

Mad Matt
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
I decided to take a different approach to the riser mod. I installed some pullback handlebars and I am now designing a new center handlebar cover that will incorporate options for mounting a gps and xm radio and a cup holder, etc. The new cover will allow various choices of handle bars and can even be used with the stock bars and BRP riser if desired. Here is a pic of the pullback bars installed, awaiting the prototype new center cover and gps mounts. I will probably make 2 different sets of handlebars with different rise.
http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/001/CIMG5836a.jpg

Mad Mtt ;D ;D

TrailerTrash
04-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I put the riser on myself...took about 30 mins (except for dropping the top inside screw twice and having to go fishing for it, another story, another time)...

How long does the install take, I have early instructions from this site that have you pratically taking the whole bike apart...but this post says only 30 minutes? Is there a change in the procedure that can shorten the time that dramatically? My husband hasn't gotten started on this project because of the time involved, but we've got a long ride coming up and I'd like to get it finished.

Any thoughts? Or change in instructions?

Trypod
04-08-2008, 08:47 PM
How long does the install take, I have early instructions from this site that have you pratically taking the whole bike apart...but this post says only 30 minutes? Is there a change in the procedure that can shorten the time that dramatically? My husband hasn't gotten started on this project because of the time involved, but we've got a long ride coming up and I'd like to get it finished.

Any thoughts? Or change in instructions?

TT, I don't have a service manual yet so i followed the directions that came with the riser. The instructions are very good and are step-by-step. The only nut i used a torque wrench on we the center nut putting the new riser on. The most difficult time i had was the 2 upper/inner screws (i kept dropping them down the neck). I would assume that even with minimal mechanical skills the job wouldn't take over an hour and a half. From what ya'll have done, should be no problem. As far as taking the whole bike apart, the instructions make it sound in depth but in actuallity all you are taking off are the clutch lever/cylinder (as a unit), loosening the throttle grip and sliding it back, then removing the bar cover (where your PE and # are), remove the clamp (3 bolts), lay the bar over, remove the yoke nut, then reverse the order, DONE!! Don't forget to put a cover over the "tank" and guage cluster to keep from scratching your baby. Hopefully, i haven't confused the issue any more. ::)

LaughingHeart
04-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Jim installed mine for me. Makes a HUGE difference - position was way to forward for my back. I am 4'10".

W

Wijllie
04-18-2008, 10:08 AM
I've heard the torque NM in the installation manual for the riser is too high and will be
lowered in future manuals. So I suggest not to tighten the center nut to much...

2faston3
04-18-2008, 07:45 PM
I got my riser today! After reading instructions found out I needed a wheel puller.

Is that really necessary?

2faston3

Wijllie
04-18-2008, 11:57 PM
I got my riser today! After reading instructions found out I needed a wheel puller.

Is that really necessary?

2faston3

Probably, the original riser is realy hard to get of

2faston3
04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
When installing risers, do you need the wheel puller, cause I don't have one!

Thanks

2faston3

kma10-4
04-21-2008, 01:02 AM
i used a harmonic balancer puller worked great :bigthumbsup:you can ushually rent 1 for a day at most auto parts stores for a small price.