PDA

View Full Version : Is BRP going public?

docdoru
11-03-2012, 04:56 AM
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/brps-plan-to-go-public-stalls/article4223153/?service=mobile
http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/investing/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/2011/11/25/ski-doo-maker-quietly-revives-plan-for-ipo

Ga Blue Knight
11-03-2012, 05:42 AM
Good information Doc! In particular about BRP looking for a low price entry level Spyder, maybe 2014? With a revamped low end RS?

Bob Denman
11-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I think that htis might all be pretty old news... (Last November & last May)

OldDog
11-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Good information Doc! In particular about BRP looking for a low price entry level Spyder, maybe 2014? With a revamped low end RS?

I wonder what an entry level Spyder would look like and how much it would cost? Maybe it should be designated Spyder-R (basic roadster). $12000 bare.

Also in the article it referred to a BRP customer as a typically high wage earner with a sizable discretionary income. My question is "what is the demographic of the typical Spyder owner here on Spyderlovers?"

1. Young just starting out, lots of startup debt.
2. Middle aged, decent job, time for toys.
3. Reaching retirement, loaded with lots of pocket change.
4. Retired,comfortable , but not much discretionary income.
5. Old and barely scrapin' by.

Desert Spyder
11-03-2012, 10:35 AM
I wonder what an entry level Spyder would look like and how much it would cost? Maybe it should be designated Spyder-R (basic roadster). $12000 bare.

Also in the article it referred to a BRP customer as a typically high wage earner with a sizable discretionary income. My question is "what is the demographic of the typical Spyder owner here on Spyderlovers?"

"4"

Bob Denman
11-03-2012, 10:42 AM
If you tweak this up a little; it might make for a very interesting poll... :thumbup:
I'm currently hoping to work and scrape my way up to "5"! :shocked: nojoke

Illinois Boy
11-03-2012, 11:03 AM
I would agree this is old news. IPO's are at a basic standstill since the recession and tepid recovery. No company wants to go public when there is not much of a demand for IPO's. They would prefer the market to be a bit more vibrant to raise more cash for them. Don't blame them for that.

On another note mentioned here; it seems from what I have noticed locally is most owning a Spyder are better-off than most others... if that makes any sense. Or are at a point in their lives where they can buy a toy.

Those who come up to me the most to talk about the Spyder with interest appear to be 55+ in age -- with some never having had a motorcycle or other similar vehicle. I also notice it seems the men's wives are more likely to approve of the Spyder over a motorcycle. (I assume due to the three-wheel concept for more safety.)

No scientific evidence behind my statements... just my own observations.

james danny
11-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I would agree this is old news. IPO's are at a basic standstill since the recession and tepid recovery. No company wants to go public when there is not much of a demand for IPO's. They would prefer the market to be a bit more vibrant to raise more cash for them. Don't blame them for that.

On another note mentioned here; it seems from what I have noticed locally is most owning a Spyder are better-off than most others... if that makes any sense. Or are at a point in their lives where they can buy a toy.

Those who come up to me the most to talk about the Spyder with interest appear to be 55+ in age -- with some never having had a motorcycle or other similar vehicle. I also notice it seems the men's wives are more likely to approve of the Spyder over a motorcycle. (I assume due to the three-wheel concept for more safety.)

No scientific evidence behind my statements... just my own observations.

i agree with you on this very true

PrairieSpyder
11-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Definitely 5. My life goal of becoming a rich eccentric old broad isn't working out so well.

ARtraveler
11-03-2012, 01:52 PM
If you think about it--do you really think there will be an "entry level" spyder at sub 15K? Most people that buy them add thousands of dollars to them to make them "their" :spyder2:'s.

With the advent of the ST's (an upline from base :ani29:) everyone seems to be going GaaaGaaa over that new model--costing more than the RS vesions.

I really do not see BRP going backward when they have managed to get the market to be willing to jump on new and more expensive. Look what the new introduction has done to the used :ani29: market. Its a buyers market for used and pre 2013 models just as they are.

I am still making the prediction that there will be no RS model in the next couple of years. Just the ST and the RT--and possible a bigger engine option for the ST and RT. Add a couple K or more for the big engine version---bling, bling!

lookerjdc
11-03-2012, 02:03 PM
The question is.... Going public before or after Bain Capital guts them....

PrairieSpyder
11-03-2012, 03:10 PM

Bain owns 50%. They wouldn't invest if they thought it wasn't a good business. It will probably help.

spyder3
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM

SMH:gaah: :banghead:

Ga Blue Knight
11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
If you think about it--do you really think there will be an "entry level" spyder at sub 15K? Most people that buy them add thousands of dollars to them to make them "their" :spyder2:'s.

With the advent of the ST's (an upline from base :ani29:) everyone seems to be going GaaaGaaa over that new model--costing more than the RS vesions.

I really do not see BRP going backward when they have managed to get the market to be willing to jump on new and more expensive. Look what the new introduction has done to the used :ani29: market. Its a buyers market for used and pre 2013 models just as they are.

I am still making the prediction that there will be no RS model in the next couple of years. Just the ST and the RT--and possible a bigger engine option for the ST and RT. Add a couple K or more for the big engine version---bling, bling!

I agree with you about 50%. The RS as it is now will be replaced by the ST's no doubt, better commonality with the RT. But if they keep the RS as a base model the price could go down as the development costs are already paid for and they could keep just one color, say yellow and black. Ultimately older lightly used RS's will be the starter bikes for Spyder Riders.

BLUEKNIGHT911
11-03-2012, 07:20 PM
I agree with you about 50%. The RS as it is now will be replaced by the ST's no doubt, better commonality with the RT. But if they keep the RS as a base model the price could go down as the development costs are already paid for and they could keep just one color, say yellow and black. Ultimately older lightly used RS's will be the starter bikes for Spyder Riders.
IMHO making tupperware in different colors is the least difficult thing they could do to broaden the appeal to the masses........I don't understand why they are so limited now.......:gaah:
.......Mike

Ga Blue Knight
11-03-2012, 07:28 PM
I also agree. It would be great if you could order body kits in different colors with out having to pay an arm and two legs. I also wonder what a real carbon fiber body kit would look like. My son wants a transparent body kit but frankly a Spyder Roadster in her underwear is not too tidy!

What do you think is the best cost cutting measure to make an RS affordable?

daveinva
11-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Shifting the RS to a cheaper entry model makes sense if the long-term plan is to move away from the higher-income, older demo. Which, let's face it, doesn't afford a lot of flexibility in down years.

Off the top of my head, a "stripper" RS would likely be manual only, and feature a less powerful/lighter engine-- maybe one of the Chinese Rotax copies that BMW is using now?

Can't really see many other ways to economize the design-- you can't lose the Nanny, obviously; you still need three wheels, you still need the same drivetrain, and the frame is the frame... lose the frunk? :dontknow:

jScotD
11-03-2012, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2y6xx2qnqg

jScotD
11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYETHsxAv8c

jScotD
11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
can't delete the srv post tried 4 times.. so don't click or enjoy