PDA

View Full Version : Brake squeel

VIspyderman
02-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Anyone out there found a decent fix for that annoying brake squeel? :( My wife had me take her home today as she was embarrassed by the screeching sound coming from the rear brakes. Yeah, and before anyone asks "why were you stopping so often?" ;D My wife likes to shop. I much prefer not using the brakes at all. LOL

I have 2900 KMs on my machine!!!

Lamonster
02-14-2008, 07:54 PM
::) Mine don't squeal and neither does Ron's so I'm not sure what to tell you. :dontknow:

csmead
02-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I was told that the squeal is common during the early miles....true or not, I am going to put some more miles on the bike before take it in.
Don't think of it as a squeal...think of it as an early warning system...let everyone know that someone is braking, so watch out!

Diggittt
02-15-2008, 01:34 AM
mine has started squeeling the other day. went riding with the salesman yesturday and he said that is common and it should work itself out.

Diggittt

Wijllie
02-15-2008, 01:52 AM
I thought I've seen in a shop a spray to prevent this, maybe take a look at your local car shop?

(NOT WD40 !) ;D

Way2Fast
02-15-2008, 12:31 PM
While not positive, I think the brake squeal might be do to improper new vehicle prep at the dealer. They are supposed to remove the anti rust coating on the rotors before delivering the Spyder. It appears a lot of them don't do it. Mine didn't. I used acetone to clean the rotors myself. There is a warning about this in the owners manual.

Richard

wildwillie
02-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Richard hit the nail on the head , clean your rotors with brake cleaner. Your dealer failed to do it when he put it together if that doesn't stop then I would make him replace the brake shoes. If he miss that better check everything all your lug nuts fluid levels and just tighten everything you think of.wildwillie

Way2Fast
02-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Also check the air in the tires...seems like a lot of dealers also fail to do this. The tires on my Spyder loose air pressure too...much quicker than any tires on cars that I have owned. They have to be topped off every week or two.

Richard

Diggittt
04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
took her in last week for the 1st service and told them to get rid of the brake squeek which he said he cleaned the pads they were dusty. sure enough the squeek went away ;D ;D ;D but now a week later I can hear it coming back. I think its faulty pads if it gets as bad as it was before he cleaned them i am going to have them change them out...

Digg

barb36jack31
04-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Turned 2300 miles today and am starting to hear a squeal from the rear brake. Not too loud and just as I come to a complete stop. Will pay more attention from now on. The bike runs better and better every day. I switched from 87 octane to mid range 89 and I seem to have a little more punch when I crack the throttle and I certainly am getting more miles on this tank than before. Will keep you posted.

Jack H

barb36jack31
04-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Filled up again today with 89 octane. Mileage up to 33.5 which is the highest yet for me. I live fairly close to Orlando, FL and spend an inordinate amount of time sitting at lights. This does not help my mileage at all.

Jack H.

Crisis
09-12-2010, 10:25 AM
I purchased CRC De-Squeak (tall blue and white can). Only product I could find to apply directly to rotors. I spray it into a cup and use a small paint brush to apply to rotors. Lasts approx. 2 weeks. Works for me.

golfman
09-12-2010, 10:33 AM
I took my bike in recently for the dps sensor and while it was in they adjusted my parking brake. On the way home I was embarassed by the loud squealing as well. Parked it in the driveway, took off the parking brake arm and pushed it forward as though I was trying to push the wire back into the sleeve. Brake squeal was gone and my parking brake works perfectly as well.

golfman
09-12-2010, 10:39 AM
I see people from Bakersfield and Leemore in this thread. We should have a few Central Valley Rydes!

BLACK WIDOW
09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Anyone out there found a decent fix for that annoying brake squeel? :( My wife had me take her home today as she was embarrassed by the screeching sound coming from the rear brakes. Yeah, and before anyone asks "why were you stopping so often?" ;D My wife likes to shop. I much prefer not using the brakes at all. LOL

After about 3 or 4 thousand miles mine quit----hasn't squeeled since.nojoke

sealfloorboards
09-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I have about 5,200 miles on my RS SE5 and the breaks have squealed since I bought it, particularly in reverse. Have been to the dealer twice (CycleSport, Eugene, Or.) Both times they told me it was just the way these pads were. They spray soapy water on the disks. It helped for about a day. They said that was all they could do. I've heard there' a now a new pad that doesn't squeak. Anyone know anything about them?

John
Seal FloorBoards.com

Raptor
09-13-2010, 03:33 PM
The Brakes on the RS-S were sqweeling a bit but 14's are A-OK. Believe it or not my tech told me that I was babying the brakes on the RS-S too much. He told me to go out an just stomp on 'em a couple of times and put put a glaze on 'em.

Ya know what? I did just that and now they are fine! A simple fix... and fun too!! :2thumbs: Of course 14's brakes are fine because Im ridin the... well you know... out of it!! Not much babyin going on there!! :roflblack:

Euripedes Neves
09-13-2010, 03:50 PM

I have a 2008 spyder only 6 months old, My wife to was embarrassed by the screeching sound coming from the rear brakes, for the last 6 months, whent to dealer in Lake City, FL and after 3 times, cleaning, change habs and ajusting brakes, and oil change and I was low in oil, because was not fill all da way, and returne to fix the problem and my bike was at the shop for 3 weeks and itill not fix, now I going to dealer in Saint Augustin to fix the problem and service of 15,000 mls, yes 6 months I ride the mach.:helpsmilie::(:hun::dontknow::ani29:

NancysToy
09-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I have about 5,200 miles on my RS SE5 and the breaks have squealed since I bought it, particularly in reverse. Have been to the dealer twice (CycleSport, Eugene, Or.) Both times they told me it was just the way these pads were. They spray soapy water on the disks. It helped for about a day. They said that was all they could do. I've heard there' a now a new pad that doesn't squeak. Anyone know anything about them?

John
Seal FloorBoards.com
Your dealer is not very well informed. There was an early (2008?) service bulletin regarding brake noise. There are several solutions, although all will be at your cost or labor, with that amount of mileage. First service bulletin suggestion was to dismantle and clean the brakes with CRC Brake-Kleen, then the apply CRC Disc Brake Quiet to the back of the pads. The second solution BRP came up with was to replace the first generation brake pads with their second generation pads. This was done free at low mileage, free pads and owner labor at higher miles, and at owner cost thereafter. There are now third generation pads that have an insulator on the back. Those would be the best replacements.

Another solution is to carefully apply CRC De-Squeak to the discs periodically. Keeping the brakes clean helps, too. Cheapest alternative is to get speed up to 45-50 and hit the brakes hard. Do this a few times to de-glaze the brakes and they should quiet down. You can also dismantle the rear brakes and add a spring, per Tatt2r's solution (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13434&highlight=brake+spring). This works especially well on the reverse noise. Be aware that it increases pedal travel before the brakes grab, though.

rogerb
09-13-2010, 06:42 PM
the mechanic at my dealership mentioned it to me about the squeaking when he took it out for test drive. apparently there is a third generation brake that is suppose to eliminate this. I told him it didn't bother me. The dealer said that if it was still doing it when I bring it in for the DPS recall they will check it out and replace them. So apparently there is a replacement available :dontknow:

dvmdf
09-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Ear plugs work well ( in your ears) not on the rotors:roflblack:. I also heard that there is a third generation brake pad.

venom
09-21-2010, 07:37 PM
My mecanic gave me a good trick, and you can't get it easier
smack the throttle and at the first stop sign hit the brakes hard...
squeeking comes from a very small corosion film on your rotors, the rest of the ryde should be smooth....

Bob Denman
09-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Mine have squawked since we put about 500 miles on the bike... I'm thinking that it's an accumulation of dust and crap in the rear. I'm thinking about pulling the pads and grooving them with a hacksaw to see if that helps at all... :shocked: