PDA

View Full Version : Remove seat

brian0389
10-28-2012, 08:05 AM
:yes::yes:Has any one removed the seat to fit back rest.if so what is the best way to remove the seat.thanks Brian

Bob Denman
10-28-2012, 08:41 AM
I haven't removed one... :opps:
But I can guarantee you that the first thing that you HAVE to do, is plug up those big nut, bolt and tool swallowing holes that sit right underneath it! :shocked:
Now it's time for the real mechanics to step in...

SpyRyd
10-28-2012, 08:50 AM
:yes::yes:Has any one removed the seat to fit back rest.if so what is the best way to remove the seat.thanks Brian

Recommend going to either the Ultimate or Corbin seat site and print out the instructions for removing/installing seats.

Bob is right on with his advice about covering the holes under the seat before removing any hardware...these holes have a habit of swallowing parts, tools, etc and never giving them back.

The Ultimate seat instructions recommends acquiring a rotating ratchet to remove the "hinge" bolts where access is quite restricted even with the passenger backrest removed.

Good luck!

dbxray
10-28-2012, 01:20 PM
When I did it I remove the passages backrest to give more room to get to the back bolts. And plug all holes because it hard to find the nuts when you drop then down a hole

BlueLine
10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
By all means cover any opening you see with duct tape. Removal of the passenger backrest is truly helpful because it gives you a little more room to reach the two hinge mout bolts at the rear of the seat.
Your first step should be raise the seat, plug what opening you can see, you'll probably miss at least one. Then undo the upper support of the pneumatic strut that holds the seat up, let it lay flat down in the seat compartment. You can lower the seat but don't let it latch, and then as said before remove the passenger back rest. Now you will be able to see the two bolts inserted thru the seat hinge. these bolts go thru the hinge and have an aluminum sleeve or bushing then into a nut on each side which is contained in a slide track, for your convenience tape and secure the nuts in some manner in the tracks before total removal of the bolts. This will assist you and maintain their original position during your re-installation, plus it guarantees they won't fall out to openings in the hinge recess and never being found again. With the bolts pulled out you can now lift your seat slightly and pull it forward, be careful to catch or retain the aluminum bushings. you still won't be able to fully remove the seat yet because it has wires to a pressure switch in the rear of the seat, just gently roll the seat over in place and follow the wire back down into the opening in the housing and unplug the wires at the connector, now you can lift the seat free.After the seat is totally removed you'll see the openings you forgot to tape, the biggest tool and parts trap is the opening ahead of the hinge and the fuse and battery accesses.
Hope this helps, been there, done that. PM me if you need further. BTW a flexible magnet is also a handy tool sometime on a Spyder, but not all parts are ferric.

Bob Denman
10-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Remember;
It'll probably take all of the friends that you have to pick your Spyder up, turn it over, and shake out whatever goes missing... :shocked:
No mistakes! The best of luck to you! :thumbup:

pikelakejohn
10-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Using a Stanley or similar ratchet that turns the socket by twisting/rotating the handle helps a lot; but as others suggested, first tape, fill, or cover the holes and remove the passenger back rest to make room for the ratchet and socket to remove the two bolts. I replaced the OEM seat with an Ultimate a month ago and "lost" a spacer sleeve (aluminum) down one of the slots while removing the OEM seat. I did NOT have the Stanley ratchet, which I soon added to my Spyder tool box to use later to insert the replacement spacer (back-ordered) when it arrived. Mush easier. :thumbup:

brian0389
10-30-2012, 02:23 AM
:yes:Has any one fitted utopia back rest without takeing seat off.if so any tips.thanks Brian

BlueLine
10-30-2012, 06:57 AM
:yes:Has any one fitted utopia back rest without takeing seat off.if so any tips.thanks Brian

Yes it can be done. Removal of the backrest just gives you a little more working space. If you are nimble or have non arthritic hands, and don't drop anything it can be done. Just pull forward and down on on the crested or built up portion on the passenger area of your seat. You're next trying moment will come when you have to mark and cut thru your seat top. I had to call them for reassurance before making that final plunge thru. You'll like the seat after you finish, it made a tremendous improvement in my long distance riding. :ani29: