PDA

View Full Version : Which Elka Shocks to Buy?

spydeyblue
10-26-2012, 03:41 AM
Which model of Elka front shocks are all of you using? My husband and I have a 2012 RT, which we're in the process of upgrading, since we can't afford to buy a 2013 RT. Which model of Elka shocks would give the most performance improvement for the amount of money spent? My husband wants the Stage 5's, but I'm in sticker shock at the price tag, and more inclined to go with the Stage 1+R's. Does anyone has any input on whether the Stage 5 shocks are worth twice the cost of the Stage 1+R shocks? We ride our Spyder two-up and together we are that "heavy load", unfortunately. :(

Ga Blue Knight
10-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Everything that I have heard from folks is that if you just want an improved ride in the twisties the 1+R is fine. If you really hammer the ride in the twisties and do the tail of the Dragon three times a week and race on Sunday get the highest level.

currin20fan
10-26-2012, 05:44 AM
I have the Stage 1 Elkas. When I purchased mine, Lamont was a big help on the deciding factor plus I contacted Len at Cowtown for the purchase. He's great to work with and will explain the differences to you.

captblack
10-26-2012, 06:15 AM
For the same reason as you, I got the stage 1's. I noticed the difference from the start and I have enjoyed the new stability as I have been visiting the mountains. If he wants to be a bit more aggressive, he can have them set up for the weight and pre-load for the more aggressive ride when they are ordered.

Bob Denman
10-26-2012, 06:48 AM
I guess that the question that needs asking is; "How much tinkering are you willing to do with them to wring out the last little bit of performance?" :dontknow:

Stage 1 shocks would be a quantum leap...
Stage 1 +R; I think that allows for some changes to the rebound damping characterisitcs...
Stage 5s? There just must be more adjustments to play with; but will they be put to use or not?

kinggeek
10-26-2012, 07:49 AM
I was in the same boat. I WANTED the stage 5, I had the money and was willing to spend it. I talked to people here and all recommended the stage 1+r for combination of price and performance despite the fact I ride 10-15 thousand miles a year. One person said given the amount you ride the Stage 5 might be worth the difference in cost.

I bought the Stage 1+R for all three shocks for <$1100 installed and absolutely LOVE THEM! They make a MASSIVE difference in ryde quality. Just make sure you adjust them to you weight and riding style, when initially installed mine had way too much preload that resulted in a pretty bumpy ride. Also consider the BajaRon swaybar that will be available soon as it performs a different job then the shocks.

Good luck on making a decision and happy modding!

fastfraser
10-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Stage 1 20,000 miles two-up riding :thumbup:. Just a note if you only get the Elkas on the front you will notice the cagers will be flashing there lights at you more often as the new Elkas will raise your Spyder about 1 inch so you may have to re-aim your head lights .

NancysToy
10-26-2012, 09:01 AM
I'd wait a couple of weeks and try BajaRon's new swaybar first. I'm assuming that your preload has already been set to the highest setting. If not, it is a good idea. Make sure you have enough air in your front tires, too. The factory reccomendations are pretty low. 17-20 works better for most of us. After the swaybar, which will go a long way toward conquering any body lean you are experiencing, you can evaluate your need for aftermarket shocks again...and which ones you need. JMHO

flybuddy
10-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Has the price target point been determined yet on Ron's swaybar?

Bob Denman
10-26-2012, 09:12 AM
VERY sound advice from "The Master" :agree: :bowdown:

Bob Denman
10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Has the price target point been determined yet on Ron's swaybar?
He hasn't publicly announced it yet...

farmerjim
10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm also looking at Elkas and I thank everyone for the great information. You really give all of us new guys a good sense of confidence and enough information to make educated decisions. Thanks again. :firstplace:

farmerjim
Jim Dumey

Trooper
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I guess that the question that needs asking is; "How much tinkering are you willing to do with them to wring out the last little bit of performance?" :dontknow:

Stage 1 shocks would be a quantum leap...
Stage 1 +R; I think that allows for some changes to the rebound damping characterisitcs...
Stage 5s? There just must be more adjustments to play with; but will they be put to use or not?

I was going to chime in here, but this is as good of an answer as it gets. Thanks Bob !! :thumbup:

My suggestion would be to look into the Stage 1+ shocks. If load is what you are concerned with , then you don't need to worry about the Stage 5 as they are more geared for people who want more fine tuning capabilities/ performance. The Stage 1+ will be a considerable leap from what you have on there over stock...and they are also considerably less expensive than the Stage 5 shocks.

If you need more information, please do not hesitate to contact me at 1-800-557-0552 ext 257.

Regards,

John @ Elka Suspension

Bob Denman
10-26-2012, 11:33 AM
:shocked: I got one RIGHT??? :ohyea::yes:
:opps: I sure didn't mean to steal your thunder though...

Ride Master
10-26-2012, 01:53 PM
I opted for the Stage 5's and they are great. I can't compare them because I never had the others.
I ride hard so wanted the most help possible.

You will find an amazing difference.

Next up, Ron's swaybar

spydeyblue
10-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Everything that I have heard from folks is that if you just want an improved ride in the twisties the 1+R is fine. If you really hammer the ride in the twisties and do the tail of the Dragon three times a week and race on Sunday get the highest level.

Ok, I just have to ask. What and where is this "Dragon"? I'm guessing it is a really twisty, tortureous, and treacherous stretch of highway, somewhere back East. I'm in California, so I probably won't ever get to ride this road, but I'd like to know where it's located, anyhow.

Linda

spydeyblue
10-26-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree with Jim.:agree:

I truly appreciate all of the input from the senior members on this forum. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and experience with us newbies. Not every hobby or sport has folks like you, who are happy to share their hard-earned information with others. You guys are the best! :firstplace:

I am going to forward this thread to my not-so-computer-savvy husband, and tell him to give John a call, as well. We have already set our front shocks to 5, and I'm on the waiting list for Bajaron's anti-sway bar, so I think we have everything covered. I wasn't planning to replace the rear shock, but it sounds like it might be a good idea to look into doing so.

Once again, thanks for all of your help!
Linda

d.o.spyder-rts
10-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Ok, I just have to ask. What and where is this "Dragon"? I'm guessing it is a really twisty, tortureous, and treacherous stretch of highway, somewhere back East. I'm in California, so I probably won't ever get to ride this road, but I'd like to know where it's located, anyhow.

Linda
The Dragon is also known as Deals Gap. It's 318 curves in 11 miles an yes, it's in the East. If I remember correctly, it's US highway 129 in and around North Carolina and Tennessee. How is it in Suisun City? I was stationed at Travis from '76-'79. Dale

captblack
10-27-2012, 05:26 AM

Linda

It's a fun place to play for anyone on the east side of the country. There are some great rides out there as well, especially in northern CA.

Read all about the Dragon and other rides in that area, here (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/) ...

Trooper
10-29-2012, 10:14 AM
:shocked: I got one RIGHT??? :ohyea::yes:
:opps: I sure didn't mean to steal your thunder though...

You are very welcome to steal my "thunder", as I think it is great that members can help other members get the information they need. You are a great resource on this forum Bob.

:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I kind of thought that I was just a good source of what Bess Truman worked on Harry for thirtys years; trying to get him to call it "fertilizer". :roflblack:

Ga Blue Knight
10-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Linda

Imagine the Pacific Coast Highway compressed to only 11 miles. Then elevate it into tree lined Mountain veiws and then add too many crotch rockets, corvetts, mini coopers and tractor trailers following their GPS directions and getting lost. Speed limit is around 25 to 45 but everyone tries to double that. It's not the best riding in the country but it is the most interesting 318 curves (many 270 degree)11 miles.

Pandy
10-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Linda

The Dragon is a nice twisty curvy road that has a great press agent. I can show you roads in North and South Carolina that make the Dragon look like I-70 in Kansas. Meanwhile, go to Killboy.com the quasi official Dragon photographer.

Patrick

Bob Denman
10-29-2012, 12:01 PM
It's pretty well-located in prime riding country, so once it started developing a reputation; it just kind of snowballed... :shocked:
But :agree: There's lots of great roads all over! :thumbup: You just have to go out and find them... :2thumbs:

Trooper
10-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I kind of thought that I was just a good source of what Bess Truman worked on Harry for thirtys years; trying to get him to call it "fertilizer". :roflblack:

Lol!!

Ummm, a little off topic, but shouldn't you be bracing for a hurricane right about now?

Bob Denman
10-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Peanut Butter sandwiches and warm beer are ready to go! :thumbup: :roflblack:
It's starting to get s little bit of bite to the wind gusts... They're coming from the east/northeast right now... :shocked:

pro10is
10-29-2012, 03:24 PM
I'd wait a couple of weeks and try BajaRon's new swaybar first. I'm assuming that your preload has already been set to the highest setting. If not, it is a good idea. Make sure you have enough air in your front tires, too. The factory reccomendations are pretty low. 17-20 works better for most of us. After the swaybar, which will go a long way toward conquering any body lean you are experiencing, you can evaluate your need for aftermarket shocks again...and which ones you need. JMHO

:agree: Sway bar first, then if you're still not satisfied worry about the shocks. I have the Evoluzione sway bar (bought it before Ron offered his) and Elka shocks. The biggest performance gain was from the sway bar and best of all it it did not alter the ride comfort. Performance shocks provide additional improvement but at the cost of some ride comfort. So try out the sway bar first, if it's enough improvement for your style of riding you're all set. If not then go with performance shocks.