PDA

View Full Version : engine overheating

sylblk
10-26-2012, 01:27 AM
2008 se5, 50k miles . symptom: engine heats up to 6 or 7 bars on hard accellerations, worse in hot weather. tried everything to no avail. solution: replaced water pump impeller and housing, $65. easy to inspect and replace. the plastic impeller is molded to a brass nut mounting it onto the drive shaft, impeller rotating freely onto nut. may be a wise carry on for you high mileage spyders.

sabunim5
10-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Is your fan coming on when it is supposed to?

Recluze
10-28-2012, 02:37 AM
Are you going into limp mode? If not you are not, then you are not overheating. Although 6 or 7 bars is a bit of a high indication I have run mine there in stop and go traffic.

Most likely cause is a bad fan relay. If your fan is not on by 6 bars I would swap out the relay and see what that does., I just change my relays every 3 or 4 years as they seem to go belly up and they are cheap enough to replace.

sylblk
10-31-2012, 07:29 PM
absolutely overheating, fan on but noted air flow not very hot. likely due to poor coolant flow between engine and radiator. if you notice a different pattern to your temp gauge reading, have the water pump impeller inspected or do it yourself, very easy/inexpensive.