PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake

Pappy John
10-24-2012, 03:13 PM
2700 miles since June, and this makes the 3rd time I've had to adjust the parking brake on my 2012 SE5. Should I shut up and get used to it, or is there an underlying problem. Really sucks when you get to a destination and have to find an absolutely flat place to park.

chisel_maker
10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
2700 miles since June, and this makes the 3rd time I've had to adjust the parking brake on my 2012 SE5. Should I shut up and get used to it, or is there an underlying problem. Really sucks when you get to a destination and have to find an absolutely flat place to park.

I had the same problem on my 2011 RT. :banghead: Took it to the dealer and they replaced the parking brake actuator motor. No problems sense then. :clap: About 5000 miles ago.

arntufun
10-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I had the same problem on my 2011 RT. :banghead: Took it to the dealer and they replaced the parking brake actuator motor. No problems sense then. :clap: About 5000 miles ago.

Chisel, a RS is a totally different parking brake System from your RT. Yours is electronic and a RS is a cable.

Pappy, you will always have to adjust your parking brake on a SE model Spyder. Sorry friend, but that is the only way to keep your Spyder in place unless you use some sort of wheel chock. It might get a little less frequent as you get more miles on it. :thumbup:

chisel_maker
10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Chisel, a RS is a totally different parking brake System from your RT. Yours is electronic and a RS is a cable.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info. :D

Ken Thomas
10-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Pappy, you will always have to adjust your parking brake on a SE model Spyder. Sorry friend, but that is the only way to keep your Spyder in place unless you use some sort of wheel chock. It might get a little less frequent as you get more miles on it. :thumbup:

:shocked::hun:........................:banghead:

flamingobabe
10-24-2012, 05:12 PM
more miles on a RS ...still adjusting park brake...I carry wheel chock on trunk

sabunim5
10-24-2012, 05:20 PM
The cable does stretch some making adjustment necessary, but every 900 miles, that seems a little too often to me. JMHO

Laila's Dad
10-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I am a fairly new spyder owner so after 65 miles everything still works perfect on mine...when you say you have to adjust the parking brake, do you mean it stopped working? That sounds crazy. :yikes:

coz
10-24-2012, 06:47 PM
it's a very simple and quick adjustment. watch the videos in the d i y forum.:thumbup:

sylblk
10-26-2012, 01:14 AM
the park brake needs adjustment regularly because the rear brake caliper doesn't self adjust to brake pads wear. if you need adjustment very often, are you releasing the brake fully? is the rear rim black coated in a short trip? don't adjust too tight, bike should hold solid in three pedal clics

Ga Blue Knight
10-26-2012, 06:02 AM
the park brake needs adjustment regularly because the rear brake caliper doesn't self adjust to brake pads wear. if you need adjustment very often, are you releasing the brake fully? is the rear rim black coated in a short trip? don't adjust too tight, bike should hold solid in three pedal clics

On a disc brake the pads always make very light contact with the disc. If you adjust the rear brake too tight but loose enough to turn under power you will experience higher rear brake pad wear. This will cause you to adjust your parking brake a lot. The parking brake should be tight enough to hold the bike on a hill but not so much that it causes premature real brake pad wear. It sort of a Goldilocks Solution " Not too tight, Not too Loose, Just Right."

flamingobabe
10-26-2012, 07:55 AM
cool chocks...but no pink....mine

Pappy John
10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
So.... I guess I'll have to come up with some kind of chock-on-a-stick tool, since it takes me a few seconds to get off the bike. Those few seconds could mean drifting half way across a parking lot before I could get a regular chock deployed.:yikes:

I already ride around with a set of crutches strapped to the side of the thing. I guess another tool won't hurt.

I know HOW to adjust it..... plenty of practice at this point....I don't think I should HAVE to though.