PDA

View Full Version : Which fuse....

MidLifeCrisis
10-23-2012, 11:17 PM
... controls the batter tender connection? I just tried to connect a battery tender and got a small spark. Now, nothing happens when I connect the tender at it seems to be working. I've put a meter on the tender and get a reading, but don't get anything from the Spyder connection, so a fuse must have blown.... or at least that's all I hope it is. The display lights up fine when I put the key in. I checked all fuses I could see, but can't really be sure everything is as it should be. Any ideas?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

MidLifeCrisis
10-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Okay, so I'm looking all through the manual and don't see any reference to a battery tender connection. So, could this be an after market add on or does every Spyder have one?

dave01
10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
They are added on by the dealer. Mine has an inline fuse in the positive side wire of the pigtail. Peak under the seat at the tender connection, assuming thats where yours is and you may see a fuse in the line.

Pandy
10-24-2012, 04:36 AM
Mine too has an inline fuse on the hot side of the connector. Wired straight through to the battery. With my setup, I connect the leads from the tender first then plug the unit in. When removing, I reverse the procedure. This almost guarantees no sparks or arcs.

Patrick

rc51ny
10-24-2012, 05:10 AM
I just bought an adapter and plug the tender into the 12v plug in the truck. No hook up to the battery is necessary and it's quick and easy

fispyder
10-24-2012, 05:47 AM
I just bought an adapter and plug the tender into the 12v plug in the truck. No hook up to the battery is necessary and it's quick and easy

Where did you buy the adapter?

dave01
10-24-2012, 06:16 AM
Where did you buy the adapter?

I got one from here

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Deltran-Cigarette-081-0069-5/dp/B003CJ927I/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1351077311&sr=8-9&keywords=battery+tender

MidLifeCrisis
10-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Mine too has an inline fuse on the hot side of the connector. Wired straight through to the battery. With my setup, I connect the leads from the tender first then plug the unit in. When removing, I reverse the procedure. This almost guarantees no sparks or arcs.
Patrick

Well, I guess know I know why it sparked! :banghead:

boborgera
10-24-2012, 09:02 AM
I wire directly to the battery, With both my heated jacked, And tender. Only the jacket hook up [pig tail] is fused. The tender is internally fused, Also if your checking the tender at the tenders leads without it connected to the battery it will not show a voltage reading, You can plug the the tender in and hit the connectors together and it Can't / won't spark. Now if you have a tender that was made before that safety feature was made standard or a Battery Charger then it will spark and possibility blow a fuse.

Pandy
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Our jackets are wired to a screw on the solenoid and a convenient close ground. Jackets are Gerbings and fused inline as well.

Patrick

Yes, heated gear in South Carolina, we don't always ride here>