PDA

View Full Version : Right front tire wear..Finally got the Answer's

spyderrock
10-23-2012, 08:05 AM
So about a month ago I noticed that the inside right tire(sitting on rt) was worn down to the wear bars. I just got word yesterday from the service Manager that the lower bushings on the A-Arms were completely worn out. Now they did check both sides and found that the left lowers were not much better so those got replaced as well. They do have a call into BRP to see if this is a warranty issue, I was told that because this is a wear item it may not be covered. I understand that breaks tires belt battery and the (air conditioning:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:) are not covered but really these bushings to. I'm hoping that this is covered I have had a few issues with BRP last summer but that is a whole other story. I have seen quite a few posts here about this issue and just thought I would let every one know what the problem with my 2011 rt limited was. I get to pick it up today ya it a balmy Minus 8:banghead:. They did check the upper bushings in case some of you want to know and they were still good, no need to replace.

Lamonster
10-23-2012, 08:15 AM
While they had the a-arms loose I would have had them change them all. I just changed all mine on my GS/RS

ulflyer
10-25-2012, 07:48 AM
I've got an elderly buddy with same tire wear and shop says nothing is wrong, that some just wear like that. I find that hard to accept as it didn't start showing till around 10K or more. If its something I could do for him I would. I have the normal home workshop tools but no special ones made for the RT.

spyderrock
10-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I've got an elderly buddy with same tire wear and shop says nothing is wrong, that some just wear like that. I find that hard to accept as it didn't start showing till around 10K or more. If its something I could do for him I would. I have the normal home workshop tools but no special ones made for the RT.

Hi Ulflyer, the bushings are pretty easy to change out but the frunk does have to come off. Once that's off there are 8 bushings on each side. Because of a sever back problem I had the dealer do this for me. I was also getting a service done at the same time. I'm not sure what the bushings are worth you would have to call your dealer. They only replaced the lower bushings on both sides, I was out of town and out of cell phone coverage but like Lamont said they should have all been replaced.

Bob Denman
10-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Question: How much do those bushings cost? :shocked: (Suggested MSRP...)

ulflyer
10-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Bob, I looked one time and don't remember for sure but am thinking about $5-6 each.

Spyderrock: thanks for info. I have a weak lower back so it doesn't sound like a job I want to tackle at this point. I'm wondering exactly how one goes about determining that a bushing is bad? Jack the wheel up and shake the snot outta it I would guess? I might urge the dealer to take another look at his the next time we go in.

BajaRon
10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Abnormal tire wear is, well, abnormal. If your car did the same thing they'd fix the alignment and you'd be good to go. Same with the Spyder. But it's easier to tell the customer that it's normal than to figure out how to correct alignment. So you get option #1 a lot.

ALWAYS Replace ALL Bushings on the A-Arms! If you don't, you're going to be right back where you started in much less time.

#2 - Lube those Bushings every time you do an oil change. They wear because people don't lube them. I don't think shops are lubing them either.

I've been using Amsoil Synthetic Grease. Don't know yet if it will help the bushings last longer, but it sure can't hurt!

Bob Denman
10-27-2012, 05:31 PM
UL,
Thanks! :thumbup: This may get added onto next Spring's preparatory servicing laundry-list.

capt.jim
10-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I also doubt if the dealers are getting grease to all the fittings, a couple are almost impossible to get to. If you ever have the frunk off that is a good time to put some 90 degree zirk fittings in. Maybe with the shorter A-arms and front suspension redesign on the 2013's some of these problems will go away.

Bob Denman
10-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Good point! :thumbup: Make some changes while it's apart for the servicing! :clap:

spyderrock
10-28-2012, 10:19 AM
Bob, I looked one time and don't remember for sure but am thinking about $5-6 each.

Spyderrock: thanks for info. I have a weak lower back so it doesn't sound like a job I want to tackle at this point. I'm wondering exactly how one goes about determining that a bushing is bad? Jack the wheel up and shake the snot outta it I would guess? I might urge the dealer to take another look at his the next time we go in.

your right you have to jack the front up, but don't shake the life out of it lol. If you pull on the wheel in the direction of travel(light tugs) and there is play it could mean that the bushings need to be replaced. Also pull on the wheel out-words toward your body and lightly move the wheel in a up and down motion, try to just move the suspension not the whole bike. When we jacked up the rt there was quite a bit of play, the inside of the right tire was worn down to the wear bars and the rest of the tire probably still had 20k left on it.

soepy
10-30-2012, 11:28 AM
I had the same problem with my 2011 RTS . But my 2 front tires were wearing on the inside. Finally fiquered out that the bike was badly out of alignment. About a inch out. Must dealers do not know how to align this bike. You must take it someone who also sells snowmobiles. Because of 3 wheels. Normal shops cannot align as they have no way of using their lasers to line up wheels. I was on second set of tires in 8000 miles when they saw what the problem was. BRP gave me a new set of tires and dealer said this should have been caught in PDI. No Charge. Helps to have a good dealer. (Andrews Sports in St. Thomas Ontario Canada). Now my bike handles great and hopefully no more wear. Happy riding everyone.

So about a month ago I noticed that the inside right tire(sitting on rt) was worn down to the wear bars. I just got word yesterday from the service Manager that the lower bushings on the A-Arms were completely worn out. Now they did check both sides and found that the left lowers were not much better so those got replaced as well. They do have a call into BRP to see if this is a warranty issue, I was told that because this is a wear item it may not be covered. I understand that breaks tires belt battery and the (air conditioning:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:) are not covered but really these bushings to. I'm hoping that this is covered I have had a few issues with BRP last summer but that is a whole other story. I have seen quite a few posts here about this issue and just thought I would let every one know what the problem with my 2011 rt limited was. I get to pick it up today ya it a balmy Minus 8:banghead:. They did check the upper bushings in case some of you want to know and they were still good, no need to replace.