PDA

View Full Version : MY RIGHT PANEL IS LOOSE!!!!

bruisersbaby
10-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Bruiser noticed that the right panel on my Spyder is coming loose. He said it looks like the grommets are loose or something. Any suggestions on how to tighten it or what I (well, really he) needs to do to fix it. Thanks!

:yikes:

SpyderAnn01
10-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Are ou talking about the panel on the right that is like the one on the left where you check the oil? if so, a grommet may have pushed through. If it isn't pushed all the way through you can pull it back into place.

NancysToy
10-22-2012, 10:34 PM
It is usually caused by a grommet being pushed through, a missing grommet, or the little hook on the top rear of the panel not being properly engaged on the adjacent panel. Remove the cover and inspect it. The cause should be fairly obvious. Don't ride with it loose...you will lose it!

ThreeWheels
10-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Yes, it's most likely a missing grommet. The grommets can be glued in place using silicone cement, but you still need to be careful putting the panels back in place. Lubricating the spears before you put the panel back in place is helpful. I use spit. You want the lubricant dry after you put the panel in place.
Also, I've added velcro to the top of the panel to help hold it in place.
I know that BRP wants to make these panels easily removable for maintenance, but in my humble opinion, we would be far better served if there was a simple mechanical fastener in addition to the existing grommets.
My Honda ST had a large flanged chrome screw that was opened using a simple #2 phillips head.
As Scotty said, if it's loose now, you WILL loose it.
Without the mechanical fastener, gluing the grommets and adding velcro is about the best you can do.
Good Luck

Ken Thomas
10-23-2012, 12:56 AM
:chat:...............:banghead:................... .:dontknow:

mrfats
10-23-2012, 03:55 AM
I was at my dealer two weeks and he replaced those grommets on both sides. They charged .95 cents a piece. If it weren't for my Baker Air Wings I could have lost either one...another reason I like my Wings!!

Bob Denman
10-23-2012, 07:10 AM
The grommets are cheap enough that having several spares is a good idea...

billpowell
10-23-2012, 07:53 AM
The gromets are very easy to push thru and they are gone forever, your dealer should stock em and getting extras is a must, I spray lubricant on them before reinserting the panel.

Tonga
10-23-2012, 07:56 AM
My dealer glued in my grommets after the first time one went missing.

JJW SpyderRider
10-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm in the same boat. I pushed 2 of mine in during my first round of mods. The thing is they didn't hit the ground and I can't see them wedges anywhere around the engine. I did my second oil change last night and dug deeper around the engine again but still could not see them or where they would have landed when they were pushed in. :banghead: I have the part number, 705000321 Oval Washer. These are the grommets that hold the long side panel on, not the service covers under the mirrors. I will be calling my dealer today to see if he has any.

Bob Denman
10-23-2012, 01:20 PM
They'll actually end up laying in those "pans"** under the bike... if you're lucky! :thumbup:

** The ones that you'd remove to let the hot air escape once you start blocking off vents on the RTs... nojoke

MidLifeCrisis
10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Mine kept pushing in when I tried to push the panels back on. I discovered the new ones were far more difficult to pop off and on, so I replaced them all and my panels have remained tight since. The original ones were way too soft and could also rip if not careful. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

jerpinoy
10-23-2012, 05:49 PM
I used petroleum jelly before I re installed the panel.

NancysToy
10-23-2012, 07:07 PM
I used petroleum jelly before I re installed the panel.
Petroleum jelly will decay rubber and many synthetic rubbers, over time. If you have to use something, use a silicone lube or an alternative that is compatible with rubber products. if you feel you have to lube, do it very sparingly...too much and the panels come off as easily as they went on. It is better to just use a little water (or spit) just before installing the panel.

gypsy_100
10-23-2012, 08:03 PM
When my right-side panel came loose (2011 RT), all the grommets were still there but I decided to get a new one for the rear position as that's where the panel came loose. The dealer looked up the part and said there was a new number -- 705002149. He gave me those. I put one in on the right side and could tell it felt much "tighter" when I reinstalled the panel. And the panel is held firmly in place, no play or movement at all. I couldn't see the difference when I compared the grommets prior to installing but the proof is in the results. Ask for that number and see what your dealer says. At least for a 2011. Other years could be different.

Those side panels seem to get a lot of wind and really have to be held firmly. If anyone ever put any lube on your pins or grommets other than water or saliva, I would suggest getting all new grommets and cleaning the pins thoroughly to get every trace of lubricant off.

The front two grommets (upper and lower) are now held in place by a metal plate with two screws holding the plate over the grommet and keeping it in place. They started doing that in early 2011 production. You can quickly see if you have those or not. If not, you can order the individual grommets, screws, nuts, etc. or you can get the complete assembly kit with everything you need for the whole side.

bruisersbaby
10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks, all! Bruiser hasn't really had a chance to look at it, but all of these ideas are great! That's why I asked the question on here!!

:chat:

eddieshep999
10-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Ref loose panel see

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?26434-Panel-flew-off&p=297004#post297004

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?31559-2011-RT-Upper-Left-Panel-Screw-Problem