PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch info

strictlyred
10-21-2012, 09:23 AM
I hve a GS 2009, and my key wont go into igintion switch.. now I expect it probably needs to be replaced..any ideas on what to cost expect for this adventure

thanks

sue

boborgera
10-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I hve a GS 2009, and my key wont go into igintion switch.. now I expect it probably needs to be replaced..any ideas on what to cost expect for this adventure

thanks

sue

Have you tried wiggling the bars as you insert the key?
Or just a ''LITTLE'' lubricant on the key, [not the switch] :dontknow:
:popcorn:

Ken Thomas
10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Have you tried wiggling the bars as you insert the key?
Or just a ''LITTLE'' lubricant on the key, [not the switch] :dontknow:
:popcorn:

:popcorn:......:banghead:

billybovine
10-21-2012, 12:39 PM

thanks

sue

If was mine I would try to fix the ignition switch I have before I bought a new one. Oil would be a good place to start. If it has to be replaced then you have to get the dealer involved to program the new keys that come with the new ignition switch. I have heard of some dealers telling their customers that they need a new DESS module and that is not true as long as you still have one of your old keys that was programed to your spyder. There is a procedure for this in the service manual.

NancysToy
10-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Don't use oil in a lock. It can cause more problems than it cures. I don't know that I woulsd even use a lock lubricant in an ignition switch, since it could conceivably short the contacts. WD-40 (a dielectric) could insulate the contacts and prevent them from working. I'd see if a local locksmith could pay you a visit. I would at least ask them about safe lubricants for ignition switches.

It sounds like someone may have jammed something into your switch, in an act of vandalism...unless you are trying the wrong key by mistake, or one is broken off in the switch.

lapirow
11-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Try powdered graphite. It is the traditional lube.

bluestratos
11-04-2012, 09:54 AM
My key refused to in all the way and I thought someone had stuck something in the lock. I got standard lock lubricant from Napa and it cured it instantly. That was over a year ago and it has caused no issues.

Good luck with it.

Bob Denman
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
:agree: Could this have been an act of vandalism? :shocked: