PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Riding

rcturner
10-20-2012, 12:52 PM
I have always ridden my bikes until there was either salt on the road or it was down to about 30 degrees. Most of the time these bikes were Goldwings, Voyagers or a Harley UC. Today is the first chance I have had to ride my RT at cooler temperatures. When I left home this AM it was 45 degrees F. By the time I had ridden about 55 miles the temperature had skyrocketed to 48 degrees. My Goldwings were always the best for cold weather riding but they did require some after market add ons to get that way. My RT was much better than any of the others. No modifications will be needed to make it quite comfortable for short trips like the one I took today. I don't think another 40 or 50 miles would have been any problem. :clap::clap:

mtbear
10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I have a Widder electric vest and gloves, makes cold weather riding much nicer. They keep my core temp and fingers warm.
mtbear:yes:

ARtraveler
10-20-2012, 01:33 PM
The RT is a pretty good ride in colder weather. When I lived in MN, I was riding my motorcycle in Duluth at -10 degrees in January. That was the 60's and my tolerance was a little better than it is now.

I rode two days ago and it was 28 degrees--but the warm gear worked just fine. I do not use a heated vest because I don't like to plug in and unplug when getting on and off the Spyder. I have driven as cold as 10 degrees--but it was more an "ordeal" than a "fun" ride. We are now down into the low teens at night and I expect low 30's for a high today. Might get a small ride in this PM--but it's getting near the end before snow comes to stay.

PrairieSpyder
10-20-2012, 02:42 PM
I was wondering about winter ryding. I'd love to keep going and with the quilt lining in my jacket I think I can. I have some insulated overalls ill use when I gets worse. My main concern is my feet and hands. With heated grips, I wonder if there are gloves with heat only on the back of the hands.

Arr MiHardies
10-20-2012, 03:22 PM
You see, the guys that makes these things are in Canada, where its cold. Which is why it's great for cold riding, but also explains why so many people in the desert complain about it's heat.

bruisersbaby
10-20-2012, 05:43 PM
We started out this morning at about 50 degrees, so I 'layered up'. By the time lunchtime came around, the extra layers were coming off as it got to almost 80 degrees. Funny thing about NC - never can tell about the weather, even in one day!! nojoke

Bob Denman
10-20-2012, 06:02 PM
44 degrees this morning as I started home from the dealer with my newly repaired RT... Normal riding gear; nothing special at all! :thumbup:

harrypottar
10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
LL Bean sell lined jeans that are water proof. They won't keep you dry in a down pour but keep you warm and dry in a slight shower. There really comfortable and warm for fall weather riding.
http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/272801_0_49?wid=58&hei=67http://cdni.llbean.com/is/image/wim/272801_0_52?wid=58&hei=67
Link (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70846?catalog_id=TC&moe=INIT&subrnd=0&productId=1179001)

harry