PDA

View Full Version : Spyder riding season side lined......Due to a Pumpkin??!!

H.L.Spyder Guy
10-20-2012, 12:34 AM
After 13,324.4 miles into my first ever Spyder riding season,:yes: ......It has come to a sudden end!! :banghead::banghead: I am from Minnesota, but it is not due to cold weather, an accident or equipment problems; but rather it has been brought to a halt by a 125 lb Pumpkin!! :hun: I had attended a Booya at our local fire station with my Cub Scout Den. They had two pumpkins there that if you could guess the weight of the two pumpkins together you'd win a prize! Well in an effort to better guess the weight of the pumpkins, the judge let me give the pumpkin a little lift and the pumpkin bit back!! I knew things weren't good when I heard the most god awful popping sound coming from my left elbow!! My arm curled up into my chest and wouldn't move for the next three hours. Being that it was Sunday, I'm a guy, no bones were sticking out, there was know way I was spending a couple of grand to visit the E.R. The following day I saw my Doctor who scheduled an MRI. I waited a couple more days to find out that I had torn my left bicep tendon that attaches the muscle to the bone. I had surgery this past Week to repair the pumpkin bite!! For the time being I'll be in a temporary cast until the swelling goes down. My Doctor says once the swelling goes down and I get a more permanent cast he may be able to shape the cast in a way that I could possibly ride my Spyder again! No gaurantees but it was a glimmer of hope!! :yes: (Full recovery expected to be about 3-4 months!!) :banghead::yikes: On the lighter side I'l have plenty of time to change my oil, engine coolant, spark plugs, and exhaust seals!! :thumbup:

This is worse than having to wait the 3 weeks I had to wait when I first bought it; in order to ride it!! Too add insult to my injury I didn't even win the contest! Please help me out by, getting revenge on Pumpkins Everywhere!! EAT PUMPKIN PIE!! :roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
10-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Well I guess it is a good thing that Halloween isn't in April or you would have lost the entire riding season. I hope you get healed up soon.

dave01
10-20-2012, 03:52 AM
55887 You just can't trust those pumpkins. I still believe they are actually alien pods in disguise.

MouthPiece
10-20-2012, 06:51 AM
I can truly sympathize. Good luck on the rehab. Next time it may be wise to use a "JACK OH LANTERN" (sorry....I couldn't resist)

Chris

Bob Denman
10-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Well this just su... stinks! :gaah:
Get yourself healed up quickly; maybe some of your friends up there can save a warm sunny day or two for you when the arm is back to functioning as you want it! :thumbup:
In the meantime... grab the catalogs and start shopping! ;)

Spyderjockey
10-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote: I had torn my left bicep tendon that attaches the muscle to the bone.

I did the same thing to my right arm in a little different way........but with the same result of tearing the muscle away from the bone. My doctor told me no surgery was needed unless I was a "bodybuider" who needed a concentric body shape.......which I was and am not. He said the tendon would "scar" in wherever it was and would not loose any strength in the arm, which I didn't. It was fine in just a few short weeks. I do have a "popeye" bicep when I flex my muscle and my wife suggested I do the same for my left arm. Not gonna happen though!!!!:lecturef_smilie:

Good luck with your recovery though.:thumbup:

harrypottar
10-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Ouch, that sounds painful, maybe once in a while you can just sit on the spyder in the garage.

you could become a passenger while you wife rides.

harry

NancysToy
10-20-2012, 08:51 AM
:yikes: That sounds painful! I'm glad they can repair it. It wasn't that long ago that such injuries were disabling for life. Heal fast.

I will work on getting your revenge every chance I get. I always have felt bad about eating pumpkin pie...one of my favorites. It adds to my ballast far too quickly. I will feel much better now, knowing I am doing the humanitarian thing, and helping you out with every slice. :D

BeachSpyder
10-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Same thing happened to my right arm. Take healing times and physical therapy as seriously as you can. And look into the laws in your state before mounting the spyder with anything on your arm. In Virginia, if you ride with a cast or sling and get caught, it is considered DWI (Driving While Impaired) and you could lose your license! I found this out after driving to my appt. to my orthopod after surgery. I caught a holy ration of sh_t from him and the physical therapist. Plus, the spyder requires more arm strength to turn than even a regular bike.

bruiser
10-20-2012, 09:12 AM
www.punkinchunkin.com (http://www.punkinchunkin.com)

H.L.Spyder Guy
10-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Bruiser, I like your style! Let's start Chunkin!:thumbup:

Bob....I have already figured out that I can get a new seat, highway pegs and floor boards with the money I saved by not going into the E.R. right away. Now all I have to do is get the MRS. to buy into my flawed logic!:thumbup::roflblack:

Ken Thomas
10-20-2012, 11:02 AM
I can truly sympathize. Good luck on the rehab. Next time it may be wise to use a "JACK OH LANTERN" (sorry....I couldn't resist)

Chris
:clap::clap::clap::yes::yes:

ARtraveler
10-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Sorry to hear about the mishap. I will also do my part to diminish the number of punpkins out there. :thumbup:

d.o.spyder-rts
10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
:yikes: That sounds painful! I'm glad they can repair it. It wasn't that long ago that such injuries were disabling for life. Heal fast.

I will work on getting your revenge every chance I get. I always have felt bad about eating pumpkin pie...one of my favorites. It adds to my ballast far too quickly. I will feel much better now, knowing I am doing the humanitarian thing, and helping you out with every slice. :D
+1 Dale

Bob Denman
10-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Bruiser, I like your style! Let's start Chunkin!:thumbup:

Bob....I have already figured out that I can get a new seat, highway pegs and floor boards with the money I saved by not going into the E.R. right away. Now all I have to do is get the MRS. to buy into my flawed logic!:thumbup::roflblack:

I DO like the way that you think! :thumbup:

YOu could always try for some sympathy... mope around a bit with a tear in your eye... :shocked: Lots of deep,sad "sighs" might even help!;)

chickridin
10-21-2012, 11:48 AM
After 13,324.4 miles into my first ever Spyder riding season,:yes: ......It has come to a sudden end!! :banghead::banghead: I am from Minnesota, but it is not due to cold weather, an accident or equipment problems; but rather it has been brought to a halt by a 125 lb Pumpkin!! :hun: I had attended a Booya at our local fire station with my Cub Scout Den. They had two pumpkins there that if you could guess the weight of the two pumpkins together you'd win a prize! Well in an effort to better guess the weight of the pumpkins, the judge let me give the pumpkin a little lift and the pumpkin bit back!! I knew things weren't good when I heard the most god awful popping sound coming from my left elbow!! My arm curled up into my chest and wouldn't move for the next three hours. Being that it was Sunday, I'm a guy, no bones were sticking out, there was know way I was spending a couple of grand to visit the E.R. The following day I saw my Doctor who scheduled an MRI. I waited a couple more days to find out that I had torn my left bicep tendon that attaches the muscle to the bone. I had surgery this past Week to repair the pumpkin bite!! For the time being I'll be in a temporary cast until the swelling goes down. My Doctor says once the swelling goes down and I get a more permanent cast he may be able to shape the cast in a way that I could possibly ride my Spyder again! No gaurantees but it was a glimmer of hope!! :yes: (Full recovery expected to be about 3-4 months!!) :banghead::yikes: On the lighter side I'l have plenty of time to change my oil, engine coolant, spark plugs, and exhaust seals!! :thumbup:

This is worse than having to wait the 3 weeks I had to wait when I first bought it; in order to ride it!! Too add insult to my injury I didn't even win the contest! Please help me out by, getting revenge on Pumpkins Everywhere!! EAT PUMPKIN PIE!! :roflblack:

I'm sorry about your delema. To make you feel better, I will eat as much pumpkin pie as I can.

Rayelljay
10-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, I don't like pumpkin pie but I will cheer on the shots taken at the Punkin Chunkin festival.

JJW SpyderRider
10-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote: I had torn my left bicep tendon that attaches the muscle to the bone.

I did the same thing to my right arm in a little different way........but with the same result of tearing the muscle away from the bone. My doctor told me no surgery was needed unless I was a "bodybuider" who needed a concentric body shape.......which I was and am not. He said the tendon would "scar" in wherever it was and would not loose any strength in the arm, which I didn't. It was fine in just a few short weeks. I do have a "popeye" bicep when I flex my muscle and my wife suggested I do the same for my left arm. Not gonna happen though!!!!:lecturef_smilie:

Good luck with your recovery though.:thumbup:

I tore the muscle from my leg, breaking the bone it was attached to in the process, in the early 70's when I kicked a soccer ball. No cast, no way to put one on. The muscle just reattached after a few weeks. To this day I can feel where the break occured and have a hard time running. I hope that modern day medicine and a better doctors will mean you heal up better than I did.