PDA

View Full Version : Cleaners and protectors

CurtG
10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm particularly interested in what folks are using on their seats. Right now I'm using Novus 1 on the windsheild and the light covers and it seems to work fine. I'm using McGuires' (sp) on the body work but haven't got anything for the seat and sooner or later I've got to get something for both everyday use and maybe something different for storage. Just hit the 2 week point with the RT-S and hardly stand not to ride everyday :2thumbs: but now and then life has a way of finding other tasks.

Still the best decision I've made lately.

Ride safe,
Curt

boborgera
10-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I use Turtle wax Spray Leather Conditioner, Works well after i come back from a ride in the rain,
Like today.:gaah:Gets the water spots out.

Ga Blue Knight
10-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Since the seats are vinyl and will not absorb softeners like a leather seat I would try to use materials that have UV blockers incorporated in their formulation for protection outside. for cleaning I only use mild soap and water. Vinyl may react badly to some chemicals and degrade. For example some petroleum products that work great in softening leather will destroy plastic or vinyl material pretty quickly. Take a small peice of vinyl and put vasolene (petrolatum) on it and it will disolve pretty quickly. Glad that you are excited with your RT-S, I bought mine in July and love it!

Dragonrider
10-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I only use Honda spray cleaner/polish on the bodywork and Megular's liquid leather cleaner on the Corbin seat. Once each 6 months, I saddle soap the entire seat as well. I use dish soap and warm water (ONLY) on my windshield, mirrors, and light covers.

arntufun
10-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I only use Original Bike Spirts on every piece of the Spyder including my faceshield of my helmet. This is the original formula of the Honda Spray cleaner and IMO works way better than Honda's new formula. It cleans and polishes without streaking. I have a 2008 Spyder and I would put my Spyders shine up against any newer models.

Bob Denman
10-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Gee... I just try to rub the seat down with the bottom of my britches at regular intervals! :roflblack:
But it's just not enough... :opps:

Sarge707
10-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I use Lemon Pledge (Dollar store Brand) and its been Great on the Windshield, Tupperware and Seat and it Inexpensive (Cheap)?:ohyea:

viperryder
10-19-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm particularly interested in what folks are using on their seats. Right now I'm using Novus 1 on the windsheild and the light covers and it seems to work fine. I'm using McGuires' (sp) on the body work but haven't got anything for the seat and sooner or later I've got to get something for both everyday use and maybe something different for storage. Just hit the 2 week point with the RT-S and hardly stand not to ride everyday :2thumbs: but now and then life has a way of finding other tasks.

Still the best decision I've made lately.

Ride safe,
Curt

I have used Meguiar's for over 14 years. We had a Goldwing and I used it on that. Since having a Spyder, I have continued to use Meguiar's. They have a liquid for vinyl that works great. Hope this helps.

billpowell
10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Meguiars:clap:

can-am sam
10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
For washing the Spyder I use car wash soap mixed in a bucket of water. Using dish soap will remove the wax. For waxing I found that Turtlewax Ice does a great job. You can even apply it on the plastic trim. No white residue.

Bob Denman
10-19-2012, 01:32 PM
I use Lemon Pledge (Dollar store Brand) and its been Great on the Windshield, Tupperware and Seat and it Inexpensive (Cheap)?:ohyea:

No cloudy residue from it?? :shocked:

can-am sam
10-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes, Turtlewax Ice does not leave any white residue on the plastic. It cleans and shines it.

bluestratos
10-19-2012, 03:00 PM
I use Turtle Wax Ice on everything but the windshiled and my leather seat. I still have the vinyl backrest on my RT so I do use it on that. Best product I have used in years and I used to own a automotive detailing buisness so I have done a lot of research on this. The wax dries clear but on high gloss areas like paint you need to do a very quick buff/wipe. Plastics, vinyls even rubber just wipe and ride. It does not attract dust, not oily when dry and goes forever when used on the bike. It is a bit more expensive but it is worth every penny.

can-am sam
10-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes the Turtlewax Ice costs a little higher, but a small amount of it goes a long way. Use Randy's tip in applying it. Put on a small area and then wipe it off.

major911
10-19-2012, 05:03 PM
I use Protectall or Meguires polymer spray.

Sarge707
10-19-2012, 05:05 PM
No cloudy residue from it?? :shocked:

NO. Much Too inexpensive Though?

j pat
10-20-2012, 05:48 PM
this product is 303 protectent is approved by the faa for use all aircraft plastic,deiceing boots and any thing you to keep like new i have used it on seats,vinal,leather jackets stuf in the house , does not collect dust easy to use truley a excellent product been rideing 70 years and use alot,and buy 1 gallon at at time comes airasol cans also most most dealares carry it great stufffffffffff jpat 2010 rs

tajohn
10-20-2012, 06:40 PM
:agree:Spirts on the entire Spyder.
55861[/QUOTE]

pickelhead
10-20-2012, 07:16 PM
this product is 303 protectent is approved by the faa for use all aircraft plastic,deiceing boots and any thing you to keep like new i have used it on seats,vinal,leather jackets stuf in the house , does not collect dust easy to use truley a excellent product been rideing 70 years and use alot,and buy 1 gallon at at time comes airasol cans also most most dealares carry it great stufffffffffff jpat 2010 rs

I must have missed it in your post, what is the name of this superior product? :bowdown:

IGETAROUND
10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
I must have missed it in your post, what is the name of this superior product? :bowdown:

303 protectent

CurtG
10-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Sounds good who makes it?

Curt

johnwinslow
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=arntufun;532037]I only use Original Bike Spirts on every piece of the Spyder including my faceshield of my helmet. This is the original formula of the Honda Spray cleaner and IMO works way better than Honda's new formula. It cleans and polishes without streaking. I have a 2008 Spyder and I would put my Spyders shine up against any newer models.

55861I love this stuff i use it on everything as well. car, truck, motorcycle, power wheels, well my grandaughter has to clean her vehicals too. whitehorse gear, north conway , nh http://www.whitehorsegear.com/original-bike-spirits-spray-polish-and-cleaner

SPYD3R
10-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I only use Original Bike Spirts on every piece of the Spyder including my faceshield of my helmet. This is the original formula of the Honda Spray cleaner and IMO works way better than Honda's new formula. It cleans and polishes without streaking. I have a 2008 Spyder and I would put my Spyders shine up against any newer models.

YUP, ME 2... THE VERY VERY BEST... AND @ THE RITE PRICE 2...

asp125
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Plexus for the windshield and gauge cluster, Lemon Pledge for the plastics.