PDA

View Full Version : Two Brothers Exhaust for my 2012 RT-S

Ga Blue Knight
10-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers exhaust for my '12 RT-S. just got tired of not hearing my Spyder when surrounded by all of the Harley's in my MC Club! It got so bad that I could not tell if my bike was running or not unless I checked the tachometer. Anyway this is going to be an all day install as I will also be wrapping the mid-pipe with carbon fiber "looking" exhaust pipe wrap. I did also order the PX1 tip which can reduce the noise level by 5-8 Db's. I'll try it open first. Supposedly it should provide a few more HP and increase MPG by 2-3. We will see and I'll do a detailed post when I get it done with pictures and whether or not anything changes noticeably other than the sound.

quickster47
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Looking forward to what you will have to say about the install and the after effects.

Carl

Ga Blue Knight
10-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Looking forward to what you will have to say about the install and the after effects.

Carl

Will do Carl. Supposedly there would be no need for a fuel manager with this model as it was
approved for the Can Am RT as a slip on with a mid pipe to the Catilytic Converter. I've heard this before with my Hindle on my old '09 RS. It had some popping from time to time but the extra power and fuel economy were worth it. I am hoping for similar results. Eventually I may remove the Cat and go to a Cat bypass pipe with a fuel manager. It's all kind of ironic because when I had the RS I tried to turn it into an RT so my wife would ride with me. Now that I have the RT I am trying to turn it into an RS! In any case it's great to have the wife along on rides!

Cruzr Joe
10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
"Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers exhaust for my '12 RT-S. just got tired of not hearing my Spyder when surrounded by all of the Harley's"

If you dont change anything then you will be able to sneak up on the Harleys and they wont hear you coming :roflblack::roflblack:

docdoru
10-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers exhaust for my '12 RT-S. just got tired of not hearing my Spyder when surrounded by all of the Harley's in my MC Club!
:thumbup:

Arr MiHardies
10-19-2012, 09:43 AM
That's funny. I pulled the trigger on a TB exhaust yesterday too. Getting the titanium one. Also getting a rear Elka, as I can feel the rear bumps a lot more than the front.

Ga Blue Knight
10-19-2012, 10:57 AM
We will have to compare notes on what the effects are. What finally conviced me was the potential for better MPG.

And as to sneaking up on the Harley's that's easy as I am invisible in their wildly vibrating rear view mirrors!

Ga Blue Knight
10-26-2012, 05:42 AM
Well I finally got my two brothers black seris carbon fiber can in today and it looks really cool. Ill have pictures soon as I figure out how to get them into the post. It does not want to work on my I-Pad. Anyway here are my first impressions. Build quality seems to be outstanding. They use a large weave fiber and Teflon coated end caps. The packing is first stainless steel then fiberglass which is replaceable. The welds and final finish on the stainless steel mid pipe is also clean and well finished with a light brush texture. I am going to coat the stainless steel mid pipe and heat shield with a black ceramic spray on heat resistant coating to both keep the all black theme going and to help reduce heat flow to the exhaust. I won't go into a Physics Lecture on Black Body Radiation effects but flat black objects radiate more heat than shiny silver ones. Of course on an RT everything radiates heat! They also include a heat shield that is just a flat sheet of stainless steel bent to the contour of the mid pipe and screws on to it. It should be fine. All of the tools needed are in closed as well as a pretty robust hanger for the can. Installation will be Saturday and ill report on how easy or hard that was. The specs as provided by Two Brothers is as follows; 13#'s lighter than stock, added 8hp and 5ft/#'s of torque. So for the RT it should be (according to the marketing department) a total of 108 HP and 85 ft/#'s of torque. Well maybe! I would imagine that I most likely will get a better sound, better looks, some HP and torque response mid-range and a little better mpg due to the lighter weight a leaner mix. Stock exhaust sound level is 92 db and the 2Bro's are a claimed 99 db. I have the PX1 sound reducing tip (reduces sound to 95 db) just in case it's too much sound! It will reduce performance some but will be still better than stock. The tip is easy to install and remove its held in by several hex head screws. Hopefully the computer on the bike will be able to stretch and accommodate the increased air flow. I am not adding the free flowing air filter yet until I check out the ride-ability first. One step at a time. I should have the install report Saturday Night.

captblack
10-26-2012, 06:07 AM
I have had my TB for a year and I like it. The computer handles it well and I have been from sea level to over 12,000 feet. I like the deeper rumble and it is not too loud. I hope you enjoy it!

Hberninger
10-26-2012, 07:45 AM
. I should have the install report Saturday Night.

I, too, am looking forward to hearing about how you like them and seeing some pictures.

Ga Blue Knight
10-26-2012, 07:49 AM
56289This the Black Series Carbon Fiber Exhaust for the RT56290The packaging

The Exhaust was very well packed for shipping and no damage! Everything needed is included.

packbuckbrew
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Be very careful with mounting this pipe if you have the BRP hitch installed! There is a bolt that will gouge your pipe BADLY if you do not mount it differently than TB mounting instructions!

I have this pipe. It sounds nice and I use the P1 tip. Not sure about MPG, but a little better throttle response, nothing more on the top end though. I do have a JB pro and I have messed around with it but now run it in the "0" position which is basically in the off position and the pipe/engine seem to run better like that. So, if you feel compelled to get a fuel controller, I would go with power commander with the sensor. Otherwise run it without any fuel controller and I think you will be fine.
Enjoy your new pipe!

pickelhead
10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Where did y'all get you new exhausts and how much?

Ga Blue Knight
10-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Be very careful with mounting this pipe if you have the BRP hitch installed! There is a bolt that will gouge your pipe BADLY if you do not mount it differently than TB mounting instructions!

I have this pipe. It sounds nice and I use the P1 tip. Not sure about MPG, but a little better throttle response, nothing more on the top end though. I do have a JB pro and I have messed around with it but now run it in the "0" position which is basically in the off position and the pipe/engine seem to run better like that. So, if you feel compelled to get a fuel controller, I would go with power commander with the sensor. Otherwise run it without any fuel controller and I think you will be fine.
Enjoy your new pipe!

Thanks for the information. I don't have a hitch and not planning on towing a trailer so thats a non issue for me but may be of inportance to others. I am going to run it without any fuel controllers and see what transpires. I bought the PX1 tip which is more restrictive than the P1. I figured that if it is too loud or pops too much I'd go all the way to the PX1. Expecting good stuff but who knows. Will find out by this time Saturday!

SpyderAnn01
10-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Enjoy your new pipe!

That is no longer an issue as they have a new mounting system for the trailer hitch. I have it installed on my Spyder and it is great. I recently went on a 9,000 mile trip pulling my RT-622 and it performed flawlessly. It sounds great - not too loud - and I am getting better gas mileage as well. It runs smooth no popping so they are correct that you don't need a juice box.

Cowtown USA carries the model for those with a trailer hitch. You can also get the info on it on Two Brothers Racing's website.

Ga Blue Knight
10-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Where did y'all get you new exhausts and how much?

I ordered the exhaust from my local Motorcycle Shop (not the Can am Dealer) for a few reasons, but mostly to help them stay in business. I like to support local shops rather than the internet. The Model that I got is the Black Series Carbon Fiber Two Brothers Racing Exhaust for the 2010 to 2012 RT. There are two versions of this out there. One version has a PX1 tip permantly wielded to the exhaust and is set for 80 db. This is the Certified DOT/EPA noise pollution "OK" one and I would not waste my money on it. The version I got is the regular one with removable tips. The tips are sold separatly. The Exhaust MSRP is for around $600 to $650 and the Tips $35 to $50. the motorcycle shop charged me $502 for the Exhaust and $35 for the tip. With local Tac the whole thing came to about $575. On the internet I have seen the exhaust from $475 to $495 and the Tips from $29 to $35. Sometimes shipping is included and sometimes not. Two Brothers only lists two types of exhausts the Carbon Fiber and the Titanium both priced the same.

Ga Blue Knight
10-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Well the Two Brothers Exhaust is installed and I had a day and a half to run around with it on the RT-S. The sound is a very nice bass rumble with just a little top end noise evident. With the OEM exhaust it was mostly top end noise with a little Singer Sewing machine noise out the exhaust. The install was striaght forward once you get the maine flange bolts to break loose, just three bolts and getting it all in line with no leaks. I decieded that the sound without the tip pleased me better and would provide for more performance from stock so I returned it to the Motorcycle shop.

As to performance and sound at speed. If you follow the correct procedure for installing a new exhaust it should go well. Here is what needs to be done. Install the exhaust when bike is cold. Start the bike with the new exhausr and DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE, REV THE ENGINE OR ANYTHING FOR TEN MIN!. This is needed for the computer to recalibrate the system to match the O2 levels at the sensor with the new exhaust in place. This is vital to avoid poping and uneven performance. After the TEN MIN are up, DO NOT REV the engine and shut down the bike. Let it cool down for about 30 min or so just to be safe. Now start up the bike and go for a ride letting the packing oil burn off, it will smell quite a bit!

1) The bike appeared to me to be idling smoother with less fluctuation at the same 1,350 to 1,400 rpms.
2) The low end performance seemed smoother and faster to move up through the gears then before, great sound very throaty without being too
loud
3) Mid range seamed the same sound was moderate but still able to hear radio ok with no issues.
4) Top end on the Highway was a blast, very responsive throttle, lots of passing power and screeming exhaust, but not as loud as my Son's RS
with Two Brothers exhaust.
5) As a side note the Carbon fiber can did an excellent job of dumbing heat as I did not feel any coming up through the passenger footpeg area
and the can after a hard run was only warm to the touch. There a a lot more space under the bike now and I suspect airflow has increased
greatly.
6) There were ZERO pops or backfires during this day and a half of testing and I don't expect any at this point to start showing up.

I don't know yet about fuel economy and will follow up later when I have more data. All in all I am ver pleased with this setup. The advertised increase in performance was +4HP and +3ft/pounds of Tourque. While I can not say that this is what the bike has now there has been a subjective increase in performance in my opinion and I would go with the advertised increase as being accurate. Note: The P1 and PX1 tips if installed will reduce both sound DB's and performance from what I have installed on my RT. Stock Exhaust is 92 DB's, Two Brothers Exhaust with no tip is 99DB's, the PX1 tip reduces DB's by 5. Not sure about the P1 tip.

viperred
10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered a Carbon Fiber Two Brothers exhaust for my '12 RT-S. just got tired of not hearing my Spyder when surrounded by all of the Harley's in my MC Club! It got so bad that I could not tell if my bike was running or not unless I checked the tachometer. Anyway this is going to be an all day install as I will also be wrapping the mid-pipe with carbon fiber "looking" exhaust pipe wrap. I did also order the PX1 tip which can reduce the noise level by 5-8 Db's. I'll try it open first. Supposedly it should provide a few more HP and increase MPG by 2-3. We will see and I'll do a detailed post when I get it done with pictures and whether or not anything changes noticeably other than the sound.

I was going to get here back and the dealer said I would not be able to here my music or radio good if I put it on. Wife and I us bluetooth system for communication only. If you would let me know how the sound is for auido aferwards I sure would be thankful.:spyder2: