PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak, a.k.a. "That's just grrrreat."

daveinva
10-18-2012, 05:48 PM
So this morning I roll my Spyder out of the bike barn down the driveway. I often have a little oil spotting on the asphalt (go figure). Today, I had a nice big chunk of fresh oil. Hmmm. Still ran the couple of miles to work, figured I'd check it when I got home.

Once I returned home, I took the tupperware off. Just as I feared-- the oil hose connecting to above the front sprocket was an absolute mess. Just plenty of sludge, grit, and fresh oil dripped down the sides. Joy.

I went to check the hose fitting to see if the clamp was on tight-- guess what? The clamp split in half under my fingers! WTH? It was like it was cracked, clean break and all, just held on the hose by the sludge. Dunno how something like that could happen-- I'm just glad it didn't fall off down into the sprocket.

Longtime Spyderlovers may recall I had questions about this before-- I had a little bit of leaking there earlier this year, really just a tad of it near the sprocket.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?37745-RS-front-sprocket-oily-residue-should-I-be-concerned

Verdict then was this was normal, to be expected. Alas, what I discovered today was anything but.

Thankfully I caught it when I did, as I subsequently checked my oil level-- and I've got hardly any left :yikes:.

While I'm sure that the solution here is pretty easy-- just a new clamp for the hose-- I'm not going to take any chances. I think my belt is coming loose off the *rear* sprocket, a gap is developing there, so I'm just going to drop off the bike at the shop and have them fix the oil hose while I get the belt checked/adjusted.

The frustrating part? It's supposed to be a nice weekend, I was looking forward to riding the Skyline ride. :mad:

widowmaker2011
10-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Install new clamp , spray some brake clean on the area to clean it up , top off oil and go ride the skyway. The belt moving away from the lip of the rear sprocket is of no concern unless its now protruding over the outer lip , I've never seen a belt come off for the reason your stating. Go enjoy your ride.

NancysToy
10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Install new clamp , spray some brake clean on the area to clean it up , top off oil and go ride the skyway. The belt moving away from the lip of the rear sprocket is of no concern unless its now protruding over the outer lip , I've never seen a belt come off for the reason your stating. Go enjoy your ride.
:agree:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-18-2012, 11:23 PM
So you are saying you were almost totally out of oil.??????.......and the oil WARNING LIGHT never came on.?? What's with that ???????...........Glad you didn't seize your engine....:yikes:....Mike..:thumbup:

mooneych
10-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Take Scotty's advice and let's go!

Anakrid46
10-19-2012, 06:35 AM
I had a very similar mess happen to my 2003 Vrod HD. While doing the Great Lakes Run some years ago I had an oil change done at HD of Cleveland. Twenty miles out from Cleveland I noticed oil all over the drive belt-sprocket area. Took to another HD dealer and for the small price of $85.00 the loose hose clamp that Cleveland HD left loose was tightened. The bike is long gone as are all but one of my HD's. RT"s forever!

arntufun
10-19-2012, 05:49 PM
So you are saying you were almost totally out of oil.??????.......and the oil WARNING LIGHT never came on.?? What's with that ???????...........Glad you didn't seize your engine....:yikes:....Mike..:thumbup:

Mike, if you have 4 full quarts of oil in your Spyder it will not show in the stick. When you add the last 1/4 quart thats when the level shows on the stick. I'm sure his Spyder is not anywhere near being out of oil.

I also agree with the others, buy a 50 cent clamp, add a little oil and ride it. There is supposed to be a small gap on the belt and also agree if it is not near the outside edge of the sprocket, your good to go.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Mike, if you have 4 full quarts of oil in your Spyder it will not show in the stick. When you add the last 1/4 quart thats when the level shows on the stick. I'm sure his Spyder is not anywhere near being out of oil.

I also agree with the others, buy a 50 cent clamp, add a little oil and ride it. There is supposed to be a small gap on the belt and also agree if it is not near the outside edge of the sprocket, your good to go.

Randy, I was just going by what HE said "almost no oil left".....I don't know how he arrived at that ????Mike

arntufun
10-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Randy, I was just going by what HE said "almost no oil left".....I don't know how he arrived at that ????Mike

Got ya !!!! :thumbup: If four quarts of oil leaked out, the puddle on the ground would spread out and almost be the size of a small car. I hope that was not the case and hope he meant to say it just wasn't registering on the stick.

daveinva
10-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Got ya !!!! :thumbup: If four quarts of oil leaked out, the puddle on the ground would spread out and almost be the size of a small car. I hope that was not the case and hope he meant to say it just wasn't registering on the stick.

Heh... yeah, it just wasn't registering on the stick, that's all.

But the stick was *dry*, and I had just filled it to the top not 500 miles before. So I definitely lost plenty of oil.

NancysToy
10-19-2012, 08:56 PM

But the stick was *dry*, and I had just filled it to the top not 500 miles before. So I definitely lost plenty of oil.
Hot or cold? It will drop off the stick just sitting overnight. I think you may be over-reacting.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-19-2012, 10:46 PM

But then HE went for a couple of MILE ride, so the oil would be spread on the ground somewhere......with that hose disconected he sure could lose a lot of OIL....The only way we will know for sure is HOW MUCH HE PUT BACK IN...?????????........MIke...:thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-19-2012, 10:48 PM

So how much did it take to re-fill it..??????????.....So we can end this :yikes: