PDA

View Full Version : SpyderPops LED fender & signal lights installed at dealership - problem...

TasmanianDevil
10-18-2012, 11:46 AM
IT'S NOT SPYDERPOPS - SO SORRY. I am not mechanically inclined so all work is done at the dealership. When my SpyderPops front fender lighting strips and turn signal lights were installed, the mechanic had a problem which he did not notify me about while I was waiting in the showroom. After several hours, I peeked through the shop door only to hear another mechanic tell him that he might have "fried" my, I think he said, computer or circuitry. I find out that he installed the left lights without problems but the right lights were defective. He switched the neg/pos wires on the right LED lights and everything is just peachy. I had the situation recorded on my invoice and part of it reads as follows.."once installed right side light does not illuminate correctly, troubleshoot and locate fault to be wires installed backwards in connecter switch wires to correct position and re-check - ok-reassemble as required - ok." I was on my way to Texas so continued on with my trip. This took place in the Vancouver BC area.

After riding for two days, I spent 4 days at a lodge in Idaho. On the SECOND day of not riding, the right LED strip lights, flashing lights and stock white round signal light FADED, THEN DIED but lit up when I turned the engine on. I used my battery tender that night and had no more problems until I reached Texas after driving everyday for a week. The SECOND day after I arrived in Texas, the above lights FADED and DIED. They did not come on after starting engine or leaving battery tender on all night. I no longer have any blinkers working on the front right side (as you are sitting on the trike).

I hate to take it to the local Can-am Dealer in Pharr, TX, as Spyders are new to them and they have only one in the showroom. I think someone mentioned that "Kent" in SW San Antonio (about a 4 hour drive) has a good mechanic. Before I contact a dealer, I would like some sage advice.

They told me the problem was defective SpyderPops lights. Why doesn't my stock fender light work? The mechanic had a problem with my left signal lights when he assembled my 2011 model this summer. We have many clever motorcycle riders here in the RV resort. Could this be easily trouble shooted without screwing up my 4-yr warranty? :dontknow: My Tasmanian Devil is all I have for transportation here in TX as my husband plans to fly down later from Canada.:(

Lamonster
10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Spyderpops doesn't sell lights.
http://www.spyderpops.com/

zrc
10-18-2012, 12:03 PM
The only thing I know that Harvey lights up is a cigar.

warp10
10-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Are you saying that the lights are on all the time, even with the key out of the bike?

Cruzr Joe
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

MRS-SPYDERPOP
10-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Yep! I can vouch for that!

TasmanianDevil
10-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Warp 10,

The lights do not stay on all the time. In fact, the ones on the right don't come on at all. I haven't ridden my Tas since this happened because the police would find it VERY noticeable and I don't need a ticket. The good thing is that this problem waited until I reached my destination -3500 miles from home (BC). I am alone here with no other wheels. My husband and truck are still in BC. I will run out of food soon - worse yet WINE:banghead:

rcdurango
10-20-2012, 07:39 AM
Sounds like you have got bad connection on that side. A pour ground would be what I would look for. If the other side still works it wouldn't be a fuze. Sounds like dealer may have cut wires in half when installing finder lights and connection on one of the wires is weak.
Lifting the front light up and out you should be able to see the connections and make sure they are tight.

Arr MiHardies
10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I have seen several fender lights with a nick in the wire about 1cm from where it meets the light. Perhaps your lights are simply shorting out at that point.

Ken Thomas
10-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Yep! I can vouch for that!

:yikes:................:chill:

TasmanianDevil
10-21-2012, 05:43 AM
No wonder I couldn't find my thread, I listed it here:shocked: That was posted the day my Mom died and I was not thinking clearly. How will I explain my :yikes: next time! I think you folks are on to something. It doesn't sound too serious and I think I have a lead on a good local mechanic. Thanks for being there.:pray::yes:

rcdurango
10-21-2012, 07:33 AM
I have seen several fender lights with a nick in the wire about 1cm from where it meets the light. Perhaps your lights are simply shorting out at that point.
This is something I notice on my Spyder also. I had to fix this also and make sure the wire are separated.

TasmanianDevil
10-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I called the closest Can-am dealership in Pharr, TX, and talked to the mechanic. He told me he didn't know when he could look at my Tas because he has 23 jobs ahead of me. I asked it if I book an appointment for two weeks from now and he said that he couldn't schedule it...and don't call me, I'll call you.

As soon as I get my legal obligations taken care of regarding my late mother, I'm heading for the hills.:spyder:I understand that Kent Powersports and Lytle "S.Tx Suzuki", both in San Antonio, have good mechanics. I will try to get this taken care of there. Hopefully, in a couple of days, I'll be cruising the Hill Country of Texas with not a care:yes: Sarah

wyliec
10-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Tas,

For sure you are better off not going to that dealer with that type of attitude displayed by the mechanic.