PDA

View Full Version : stuttering engine at 3900-4050 rpms

Zydrigeon
10-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Hello,
I have a 2012 RS-S SE5 with a two bros racing m2 exhaust and a powercommander V with autotune. At around 3900 rpm to 4050 rpm, the engine stutters and feels like it wants to die. This is during cruising throttle. If i hit the throttle hard it just "hiccups" and keeps on going. Anyone know what might be causing this? the a/f table for the map is set to 13.2 in all spots (dealer installed and set). I check the trims once every 3 rides and accept changes etc. I have just a stock air filter.

CL

coz
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM
sounds like you have a leaking ''y'' gasket. how many miles on the bike ? did this start recently ? search honda gasket , you'll learn all about lt. fire 911 just did a very good write up in diy section.:thumbup:

boborgera
10-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Shot in the dark,
Check your spark plug wires for arcing especially if you did any work near them.:dontknow:

Zydrigeon
10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
6177 miles on bike, only work done recently was they had to replace the shift housing on left side handlebar...before that was some computer work on the gear position sensor. It started when i put the exhaust on it and didnt have a fuel manager...the moro...er dealership that i bought it from installed it and told me i didnt need one. bike started to run like crap, so i changed dealerships and had them put on a PCV. ran somewhat okay. then i got the autotune. it helped immensely, but the stutter isnt gone completely. The new dealership tried to tell me it was something to do with my clutch...but that was the guys up front and not the actual mechanic.

Yazz
10-19-2012, 09:50 AM
6177 miles on bike, only work done recently was they had to replace the shift housing on left side handlebar...before that was some computer work on the gear position sensor. It started when i put the exhaust on it and didnt have a fuel manager...the moro...er dealership that i bought it from installed it and told me i didnt need one. bike started to run like crap, so i changed dealerships and had them put on a PCV. ran somewhat okay. then i got the autotune. it helped immensely, but the stutter isnt gone completely. The new dealership tried to tell me it was something to do with my clutch...but that was the guys up front and not the actual mechanic.

sounds like you have a leaking ''y'' gasket. how many miles on the bike ? did this start recently ? search honda gasket , you'll learn all about lt. fire 911 just did a very good write up in diy section.:thumbup:

:agree: My right gasket was totally blown at 7-8k.

Ga Blue Knight
10-19-2012, 11:12 AM
If you are cruising at 3,900 to 4,050 rpm you are in way too low rpm's. Cruising rpm's I would expect to be around 5,000 to 6,000 rpm range. Most of the Spyder's HP is up around 6,500 to 7,000 rpm's. If you have an SE5 model you are abusing the clutch which is trying to downshft.

arntufun
10-19-2012, 11:48 AM
If you are cruising at 3,900 to 4,050 rpm you are in way too low rpm's. Cruising rpm's I would expect to be around 5,000 to 6,000 rpm range. Most of the Spyder's HP is up around 6,500 to 7,000 rpm's. If you have an SE5 model you are abusing the clutch which is trying to downshft.

I agree, that is the dead spot on my Spyder as well (I have a pipe and 02 mod) and is cured by dropping down a gear or twisting the throttle harder. I doubt there is anything wrong other than he is a to high of gear for the RPM's. If it was the exhaust gaskets I would presume he would be getting popping (backfire) on deceleration.

Ga Blue Knight
10-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I agree, that is the dead spot on my Spyder as well (I have a pipe and 02 mod) and is cured by dropping down a gear or twisting the throttle harder. I doubt there is anything wrong other than he is a to high of gear for the RPM's. If it was the exhaust gaskets I would presume he would be getting popping (backfire) on deceleration.

not to mention a whole lot of heat on his right leg!

coz
10-23-2012, 02:59 PM
on your dead spot problem ?:popcorn:

smporter420
10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
my 12 rss bogs out when I get on the throttle from a stop. It's like the throttle sticks something. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

boborgera
10-23-2012, 04:21 PM
my 12 rss bogs out when I get on the throttle from a stop. It's like the throttle sticks something. Any ideas?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Just guessing here, If your getting on it hard, And especially if the bars are turned a little, i. e. pulling out and turning it could be the traction control kicking in [aka The nanny]
More info would be helpfull.

NancysToy
10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Just guessing here, If your getting on it hard, And especially if the bars are turned a little, i. e. pulling out and turning it could be the traction control kicking in [aka The nanny]
More info would be helpfull.
:agree: Very common problem. Straighten it out before you goose it. If you lose traction, the same thing can happen.

arntufun
10-23-2012, 05:36 PM
:agree: Very common problem. Straighten it out before you goose it. If you lose traction, the same thing can happen.

If this is indeed the issue..........., mine was doing the same thing until the steering angle sensors were reset. All is well now even when goosed, unless of course the rear tire breaks free. He might want to try that next time he takes his Spyder to the DR's.

Zydrigeon
11-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Update: Finally got my spyder in and the gaskets changed. Bike exhibited the same symptoms for a short while, then i guess the autotune started sorting things out. Went for a ride the next day and almost all symptoms are gone. Thinking one more ride and then i'll accept the trims. So far the bike is running excellent. If there was any confusion earlier..5-20% throttle is cruising throttle, not much to do with the rpms. Though 4800-ish rpm is 65 on my bike. If i'm supposed to only run it at 6k or better, why is there a 5th gear? I'd never shift out of 4th. :p

Campverdefela
11-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Update: Finally got my spyder in and the gaskets changed. Bike exhibited the same symptoms for a short while, then i guess the autotune started sorting things out. Went for a ride the next day and almost all symptoms are gone. Thinking one more ride and then i'll accept the trims. So far the bike is running excellent. If there was any confusion earlier..5-20% throttle is cruising throttle, not much to do with the rpms. Though 4800-ish rpm is 65 on my bike. If i'm supposed to only run it at 6k or better, why is there a 5th gear? I'd never shift out of 4th. :p

Speed limit is 75 here, we need it. Helps with gas mileage also.