PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hit a critter with the Spyder?

Rar
10-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Today, I narrowly missed a squirrel. It appeared from the leaves and was by my wheel before I saw it. :yikes: My impulse was to swerve, but there was a car coming from the opposite direction. I braced myself to hit the little fella. Fortunately, the little critter stopped just in time.

I hit a squirrel once with my car and felt awful. Hitting any critter with a Spyder seems doubly awful, certainly closer and somehow more personal.

smoky
10-17-2012, 05:37 PM
They'll learn to keep they a## out of the road!.....:lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 05:38 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gif Listen carefully to this...

:lecturef_smilie:DON'T YOU EVER SWERVE TO AVOID AN ANIMAL!!!
We all love them; but it's not worth risking your life or the life of somebody you might hit to avoid them.
Just get on the brakes and grit your teeth.
And I really, truly hope that you never have to report back to us on a Spyder/critter collision. :thumbup:

Rar
10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_11_4.gif Listen carefully to this...

:lecturef_smilie:DON'T YOU EVER SWERVE TO AVOID AN ANIMAL!!!
We all love them; but it's not worth risking your life or the life of somebody you might hit to avoid them.
Just get on the brakes and grit your teeth.
And I really, truly hope that you never have to report back to us on a Spyder/critter collision. :thumbup:

On my return trip (after hitting the squirrel with my car), I'm certain it's mate returned to the scene to grieve.

Netminder
10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
I have never hit anything on my Spyder, but have hit 3 deer :yikes:over the course of my car driving time. Here in the Lauretntians of Quebec they are all over the place, and even more so during hunting season. Very hard on the deer and the car!:shocked:

Ga Blue Knight
10-17-2012, 05:51 PM
I hit a large box turtle the other day with the rear wheel and the squish and crackle was horrendous! The nanny even had a little to say about it and the rear end wiggled a bit.

SethO
10-17-2012, 05:52 PM
several people on here, including myself have hit deer with them. Some have went to the hospital over the accidents. I would not worry to much about squirrels, they breed about as fast as rabbits, both taste good but squirrels are rodents so would you feel bad hitting a sewer rat?

ezduzit
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Squirrel thump dead!! No swerve for me! Got my swerve on after:cheers:

Rar
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Was there a squirrel crossing sign posted in the area???????????????:roflblack:

:clap::clap::thumbup:

Rar
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I have never hit anything on my Spyder, but have hit 3 deer :yikes:over the course of my car driving time. Here in the Lauretntians of Quebec they are all over the place, and even more so during hunting season. Very hard on the deer and the car!:shocked:

Hubby has hit two deer with cars. Colleagues and friends would invite him to go hunting and request he bring his car. :D

Rar
10-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I hit a large box turtle the other day with the rear wheel and the squish and crackle was horrendous! The nanny even had a little to say about it and the rear end wiggled a bit.

:( The critters are so much closer on a Spyder.

FrankPa
10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
I thought that's why SpyderPops invented the Bump Skid! :clap:

Ivorspyder
10-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I hit a deer in Colorado 3 years ago riding my Goldwing.I got really lucky as I managed to keep the bike up and come to a stop totally unharmed.The cost to repair the bike was$7200.00.
The deer a big one at that landed in the ditch lying there for 10 mins. we all thought it dead when all of a sudden it got up and ran away.

Ivor:spyder:

boborgera
10-17-2012, 06:47 PM
On my return trip (after hitting the squirrel with my car), I'm certain it's mate returned to the scene to grieve.

That's very common, Especially with Raccoons and opossums. That's why you'll often see two of the same animal type' hit near each other.

Rar
10-17-2012, 06:51 PM
That's very common, Especially with Raccoons and opossums. That's why you'll often see two of the same animal type' hit near each other.

Interesting. Folks laughed when I told them another squirrel had appeared at the accident scene.

boborgera
10-17-2012, 06:54 PM
several people on here, including myself have hit deer with them. Some have went to the hospital over the accidents. I would not worry to much about squirrels, they breed about as fast as rabbits, both taste good but squirrels are rodents so would you feel bad hitting a sewer rat?

:agree: And as a bonus it gets the dumb ones out of the Gene pool.

MouthPiece
10-17-2012, 06:59 PM
"There's a dead skunk in the middle of the road." :joke::yikes:

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Hubby has hit two deer with cars. Colleagues and friends would invite him to go hunting and request he bring his car. :D

That's too heavy of a caliber to use on medium-sized game... You end up ruining too much meat! :gaah:

Rar
10-17-2012, 07:05 PM

That's actually a fear of mine - that a dead skunk would be in the middle of my lane. nojoke

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejelYnVI3U

papoandma
10-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Dead is better than a live one!!!!!:yikes:

neelbert
10-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I ran over a armadilo with the rt ft wheel @ 60 mph bump that was it

Rar
10-17-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UejelYnVI3U

That is just TOO funny!!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I've never heard it before. :clap:

Rar
10-17-2012, 07:23 PM

UGH! I suppose squirrels are as common road debris in the north, as armadillos are in the south. :(

JJW SpyderRider
10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Wasn't Fred Rau who ran over a calf right after getting his RT? The calf was first tenerized by the 18 wheeler he was following. He just kept on going.

pickelhead
10-17-2012, 07:36 PM
You gotta watch those squirrels. Where there a squirrel there's usually a Moose and a couple of Russian spy's!:roflblack:

Kungfuspyder
10-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Hit a squirrel while driving my Kenworth yesterday, there wasn't anything to see afterward.

IGETAROUND
10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
That is just TOO funny!!!! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: I've never heard it before. :clap:

oh but you have lived a too sheltered lifenojoke:yes::clap::roflblack::roflblack::roflbl ack:

bruiser
10-17-2012, 08:34 PM

I hit a large box in my truck. It just went thump.:roflblack:

bruiser
10-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Down here we call them tree rats.

bruiser
10-17-2012, 08:38 PM

thats called possum on the half shell.:roflblack:

bruiser
10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
There was a lady used to be on this site who was hit in the face by a turkey. The driver ducked she didn't.

bullant12
10-17-2012, 08:44 PM

CSW61
10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
There are 2 types of animals. Those that are squishable and those that are NOT squishable. Depending on their size.:trike:

bruiser
10-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Dude :wrong:

Sarge707
10-17-2012, 08:48 PM
If you notice- Squirels are Always playing "Russian Roulette" with cars and its a Game to them.
Sometimes they Win-:yes: Sometimes they Loose :yikes: ?

Rar
10-17-2012, 08:48 PM

:wrong: :D

Rar
10-17-2012, 08:49 PM

gazunni
10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
I thought that's why SpyderPops invented the Bump Skid! :clap:
Critter Splitter

Rar
10-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Critter Splitter

Im going to have to check this out. nojoke

bruiser
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Rar, is the base still open up there??

Rar
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Rar, is the base still open up there??

No. They closed it a few years ago. The city redeveloped the property. In fact, when we moved from Saranac Lake, we purchased one of the condos on Base. Did you know Plattsburgh has one of the longest, if not the longest runway in the US?

bruisersbaby
10-17-2012, 09:26 PM
No. They closed it a few years ago. The city redeveloped the property. In fact, when we moved from Saranac Lake, we purchased one of the condos on Base. Did you know Plattsburgh has one of the longest, if not the longest runway in the US?

Hi! Answering for Bruiser and he said he did realize that. He also said it used to be "Strategic Air Command", but he calls it "Sadistic Air Command".

I haven't hit anything and hope to never do that. At least we don't have skunks in this area, but lots of possums, squirrels and other critters. I get too upset even seeing something hit on the side of the road.

ARtraveler
10-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Happy to say that I have not squished any small critters. I have had a couple moose encounters but ended up not hitting them. On one, I had to go to the other side of the road because the moose stopped and held his ground--fortunately for me there were no oncoming cars--the other option was the ditch, which I would have taken--had I no other choice at that time.

At least with the :spyder2:,s three wheels we have more options and safety equipment than riding two wheels. My final ride in Wisconsin--before moving to AK--I encountered a deer while riding my VStar 650. I left about a 20 ft skid mark, but was able to stop in time. That one came out of the woods at the last second. A memorable last ride for sure.

Rar
10-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Hi! Answering for Bruiser and he said he did realize that. He also said it used to be "Strategic Air Command", but he calls it "Sadistic Air Command".

I haven't hit anything and hope to never do that. At least we don't have skunks in this area, but lots of possums, squirrels and other critters. I get too upset even seeing something hit on the side of the road.

Yes, it was a SAC base. Living here on the former Base, has given me a perfect spot for ryding practice- 35 mph speed limits and little traffic.

I, too, get upset with the critters on the side of the road and have to avert my eyes. :(

DR Buck
10-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?40152-Death-by-Spyder-!!!&highlight=possum

Daisyjoe
10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
They'll learn to keep they a## out of the road!.....:lecturef_smilie:

Spoken like a true Southerner:2thumbs: Squirrels---Not only do they eat my flowers, they eat my flower pots as well:banghead:

Kungfuspyder
10-18-2012, 05:10 AM

I had to put this on Facebook, I will get probably the same response that you are getting here:roflblack:

Bob Denman
10-18-2012, 07:02 AM
But it is just plain old wrong!
(And I don't even like cats!) :shocked:

Rar,
YOu guys were in Saranac Lake? Our camp is up in Onchiota on the old International Paper Company propterty. :thumbup:
We always run back out to the "Blue Line" for entertainment at least once each year...

Rar
10-18-2012, 07:17 AM
But it is just plain old wrong!
(And I don't even like cats!) :shocked:

Rar,
YOu guys were in Saranac Lake? Our camp is up in Onchiota on the old International Paper Company propterty. :thumbup:
We always run back out to the "Blue Line" for entertainment at least once each year...

Yup- lived there 23 years before moving to the 'Burgh' last year. When you next come this way, and if you bring your Spyder, we all should try to get together for a ryde. :D

boborgera
10-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Over the years if it's out on the road at one time or another i've hit it, I remember once hitting a Mr. Softee truck with my 59 Merc.:opps: But that's a story for another day.;)

Bob Denman
10-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Yup- lived there 23 years before moving to the 'Burgh' last year. When you next come this way, and if you bring your Spyder, we all should try to get together for a ryde. :D
I've already been looking for the best way to get back up to your Town! :thumbup:

The Northway is just soooo.... boring! :shocked:

billpowell
10-19-2012, 01:16 PM
My wife has the Spyder and in my rear view mirror one day, I saw her take out a squirrel, :spyder2: 1, critter 0.

Bob Denman
10-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Somebody will have to find all of us a set of those stamps used to show the number of kills... Kind of like the ones used during the Wars to show the kills of a fighter pilot! :thumbup:

NancysToy
10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Somebody will have to find all of us a set of those stamps used to show the number of kills... Kind of like the ones used during the Wars to show the kills of a fighter pilot! :thumbup:
:roflblack: After the trips to Spyderfest and Durango, I seriously considered having someone paint the kills on my cowl. Two turtles, a frog, three birds, a chipmunk, and a squirrel...in just two trips. Part of the problem was the trailer, which adds two tracks and makes avoiding an animal like trying to run slalom with a steam roller. I wonder if the RT-622 would have to get silhouettes, too, for its fair share. :)

CSW61
10-19-2012, 01:47 PM
:shemademe_smilie:

:bbq:Ummmm Boy B-B-Q Critter

:cheers:

Bob Denman
10-19-2012, 01:48 PM
:shocked: The Loonies at PETA are liable to put a bounty on you... :yikes:

Papa
10-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Got a possum on my way home from the dinner at Spyderfest last year.

Possum - totaled

Spyder - damaged left side deflector - $25