PDA

View Full Version : RT Gas Tank - Is My Gauge Working?

MRH
10-17-2012, 10:04 AM
It seems that when I fuel up, even with the gauge in the red and the fuel light on, I'm putting in no more than four gallons. I may be missing something everybody else knows. Aside from the day I got it from the dealership (when it registered just over full), filling the tank to capacity (and letting the pump turn itself off) doesn't bring me up to full, and it seems to empty faster at the top of the tank than it does at the bottom. It just doesn't feel or act like a 6.6 gallon tank, but more like a 5 gallon one.

Am I missing or misunderstanding anything here? I have a 2010 SE5 A&C Spyder.

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 10:23 AM
You're seeing just about what everybody else is seeing... :gaah: It'll hold more than five gallons; but not much more! By the time you leave some room for expansion when re-fueling; it's pretty much normal!

AbNormy
10-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Where i wonder is how full to fill? I like to keep mine full to prevent moisture and seems to boil less when full. Worry about satirating canister.:confused:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Everybody has their own ritual at the pumps...
I hang on until the nozzle clicks off, and then I squeak some more in until I've run it up to the next even-dollar amount.
But that's just me! ;)

CyncySpyder
10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Yup, this has been discussed many times over & over & over. Believe it or not, but Teddy's NOT a retriever, but he is really good at finding things. But before I show you what he found, he asked me to tell you how to do it for yourself. Something about giving a man a fish & teaching him how to fish. I tell you, that dogs just ate up sometimes :roflblack:

Anyways, if you look toward the top right hand side of every page on the SpyderLovers Forum, you'll see a small white rectangular box with a small magnifying glass icon next to it, that's the forums Search Engine & its very useful. Or, right below that, you can click on the Advanced Search and it will take you to a different page with many more search options.

You can type in something like FILLING FUEL TANK & it will bring up every thread that contains those words, which at this time, there were 84 threads. Then all you have to do is look thru a few of them and most of the time, your answer to your questions will be in front of you for the reading. I love this site!

Now that you know how to search for yourself, I'll copy & paste a few of the aformentioned answers here for you. Hope this helps & ENJOY THE RYDE!!!

Approximately 6.0 gallons is the usable capacity. That leaves room for the necessary head space and the tanks irregularities and opening position. Filling that full is a gamble, though, and could overflow to the emissions canister under certain conditions. On the opposite end of the tank, the low fuel light should come on with about 1.4 gallons remaining

Many, if not most, vehicle gas gauges are not linear. They are merely an approximation of the fuel that is left. At the low fuel light on a Spyder, you should have roughly 50 miles worth of fuel left, give or take. All you can do is learn how your gauge acts, and ride & fill accordingly. I typically just refill based on the mileage on the trip meter, which I reset at every fill.

"BRP states that on empty one should get about 40 miles give or take out of the tank before it is truly empty. This is not a flaw, but built in safety by design." Now, it all makes since.

Also of note, the fuel tank is larger at the top & smaller at the bottom. So, if one of the above posts didn't point this out, I will. It will take a consideralbly longer time for the fuel gauge, Analogue or Digital, to actually start to move once you've filled up. Ours can usually go around 40-50 miles before the first bar (Digital) disappears, but then they start disappearing ever more rapidly as the fuel gets lower in the tank. This is by design, but frustrates many of us, cause its not a linear flow, so each bar on the guage doesn't represent the same amount of fuel used or left in the tank. We live, we learn, and most of all, we :yes:ENJOY THE RYDE:yes:

ARtraveler
10-17-2012, 11:11 AM
RE: gas gauges. If you are using the analog gauge the gas light normally goes on at about 120 miles. If you are getting the "usual" 30mpg or so--that is going to be your 4 gallon fill.

If you are using the digital gauges, the gas light goes on at about 150 miles which should take about 5 gallons if you fill up at that time.

NancysToy
10-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Best way I have found is to insert the nozzle just barely into the opening, then fill slowly. Stop when gas just starts to squirt out of the slots in the fill ring. Slowly sneak in a bit more until it squirts back a second time, just to make sure you got it. When the fuel light first comes on, that should take about 4.6-4.7 gallons. That leaves 1.4-1.3 gallons in reserve. The Spyder 6.6 gallon tank only holds 6.0 gallons of actual liquid, the rest is necessary head space for expansion and venting. If you are filling before the light comes on, 4 gallons nearing the red is about right.

james danny
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
treat it like it is a 5 gallon tank than way you won't be walking

bruiser
10-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Best way I have found is to insert the nozzle just barely into the opening, then fill slowly. Stop when gas just starts to squirt out of the slots in the fill ring. Slowly sneak in a bit more until it squirts back a second time, just to make sure you got it. When the fuel light first comes on, that should take about 4.6-4.7 gallons. That leaves 1.4-1.3 gallons in reserve. The Spyder 6.6 gallon tank only holds 6.0 gallons of actual liquid, the rest is necessary head space for expansion and venting. If you are filling before the light comes on, 4 gallons nearing the red is about right.

That's the way I do it to. If I fill it as soon as the light comes on it takes 4.1-4.3.

boborgera
10-17-2012, 04:48 PM
The Spyders gas tank is only 6 gallons, That .6 doesn't exist.:banghead: