PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions ...

Harley
10-17-2012, 09:38 AM
With a blown engine in my 2012 RTSE5 A&C with less than 4000 miles, I need some advice on whether to go with a new engine (under warrenty) or go with a new 2012 RT Limited, for additional green backs, which I wanted in the first place. I have 4000 to 5000 dollars worth of mods, which most can be transferred. I need help!!

MRH
10-17-2012, 09:49 AM
If they pay for the repairs I don't see how is different from simply trading your Spyder in had it not needed the repairs. You haven't provided details, but it does seem that you are looking for a reason to upgrade, which is what you want to do.

TuckMiddle
10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
If you've got the bucks, swap it. If you'd hate to lose a bunch of $$ on the problem Spyder, fix it and ride it forever. Have they agreed to fix it? Several seemed to have a problem with BRP about warranty on engine failures, I'm not in the know about the exact situations and I'm sure each case is unique. Good luck with it. These engines seem pretty darn reliable overall, I'm surprised it would be a problem this soon.
:cheers:
Tuck

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Well I'm all about he farkles...:shocked:
What have you added to your A&C?
What would you be missing if you didn't pop for the Limited??
Over the past 2 years, I've brought my A&C up to RT-S specs; it can be done! :thumbup:
A new engine would (or at least should!) make you whole again, so this choice has to be yours...
Oh the decisions that need to be made! :yikes:
Good Luck, and please let us know which path you choose! :thumbup:

mooneych
10-17-2012, 10:49 AM
OK, accuse me of being simple...

If you always wanted the 2012, then get it.

See? Simple!:p

AbNormy
10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
What caused engine failure? Lugging or defective to start? :confused:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ARtraveler
10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
More information about the engine failure please.

can-am sam
10-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Can you take the "farkles" off the 2012 and install on a new Limited? If you can it will help with your decision to buy a new Limited.

Ga Blue Knight
10-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd go with the new bike that has a factory sealed up bike instead of one that was rebuilt at a dealership.

Jeriatric
10-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd go with the new bike that has a factory sealed up bike instead of one that was rebuilt at a dealership.

:agree:

R30SHIRE
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
You won't be happy with the rebuild/new replacement. go for the new one. satisfy your wants.

MidLifeCrisis
10-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Engine replacements at 4k could give a future perspective buyer the impression you abuse your machine, so it could be a tougher sale down the road regardless of upgrades. You're definitely going to lose on the trade as well, but when you trade up as a result of a failure under warranty, you tend to have some leverage to minimize loss. Take your upgrades off and cut your losses early, since a limited is what you really want anyway. You'll likely be tons happier.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Orrrrr..... Keep the A&C forever; happily farkling away at it until it's all used up! :dontknow:

james danny
10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
go with a new one warrenty will be better

billpowell
10-17-2012, 01:32 PM
Get what you want

ValCruzSpyder
10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Harley, if I may offer this bit of advice to you...go for the upgrade. As with a new car just recently purchased, what would you do if that same vehicle died within a few short weeks of purchase? One would lean toward a new purchase, leaving the crippled ride to the demise of the dealership. Ask yourself if spending the additional cash to get a new set of wheels would set you back to the point of dispair, or, will the additional cash ensure you don't run into the same problem again? For the money, I would suggest a new purchase. Especially if that new purchase was an upgrade to the piece of equipment I wanted in the first place! The choice is yours alone. Be secure in any choice YOU make. Whichever way you choose, let us all know what you decide and how you feel about it! Trust your own decision. I'm pretty sure no one will criticize your choice either way. We just want you back on the road. Good luck, either way!!!

NancysToy
10-17-2012, 03:36 PM
It would depend on the out of pocket cost, I guess. Since you really want the LTD, and it would also be a fresh start, I think I would go that route if it wasn't too expensive. Hard decision, I don't envy you.

Ivorspyder
10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
No brainer go with the RT Limited.After all that is what you wanted in the 1st place.You should be getting a good deal with the extra discount BRP are giving at the moment on 2012 models.

Ivor:spyder:

Farmbanker
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
With a blown engine in my 2012 RTSE5 A&C with less than 4000 miles, I need some advice on whether to go with a new engine (under warrenty) or go with a new 2012 RT Limited, for additional green backs, which I wanted in the first place. I have 4000 to 5000 dollars worth of mods, which most can be transferred. I need help!!

Toss-up. See if they would extend the warranty on the new engine/whole bike. Can't hurt to ask. All depends on how good/fair of a deal they will give you. What failed in the engine? I am extremely curious since my 2012 RT also blew at 86 miles a month and a half ago. Cam chain let loose, no unusual driving or lugging in my case.

budsspuds
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Get the new RT ............. it is what you wanted in the first place and farkle that with new farklen farkles it is only $$$$$$$$$;)

retired1
10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
If you decide to get the LTD, strip the upgrades off of the A&C and sell the ones that the LTD already has. The dealer won't probably allow you much for your upgrades anyway.
JMO