PDA

View Full Version : helmet communication

Laila's Dad
10-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Hello all,

If any of you have seen my previous post, you know that I am far from being highway ready as I have not reached speeds over 40mphs(just reached that as a new high today :yes:)...any whoooo, I have been thinking about things I will want/ need when I am certified and actually taking spYder trips. I have seen on youtube spYders with speakers and amps added so I know that is an option, but I don't really want to be the guy who has the loud music as I pull up to a stop light. Plus I like the trunk(I think it was also called a Frunk) room for mini grocery runs and or clothes, helmets etc...I saw online today bluetooth systems made for motorcycle helmets that connect to a cell phone, gps, play music, and can be a walkie talkie between riders that have the same type of system. The ones I have seen online are made by interphone(F5 seems like the best option so far), Sena, Cardo. Also, my helmet came with a recommendation for chatter box but all of the reviews were bad on those for music clarity and phone call volume. Do any of you use products made by these companies or have another option that you would recommend. I have a RS-S if that matters. Thanks!!!

Arr MiHardies
10-17-2012, 01:23 AM
Hello all,

If any of you have seen my previous post, you know that I am far from being highway ready as I have not reached speeds over 40mphs(just reached that as a new high today :yes:)...any whoooo, I have been thinking about things I will want/ need when I am certified and actually taking spYder trips. I have seen on youtube spYders with speakers and amps added so I know that is an option, but I don't really want to be the guy who has the loud music as I pull up to a stop light. Plus I like the trunk(I think it was also called a Frunk) room for mini grocery runs and or clothes, helmets etc...I saw online today bluetooth systems made for motorcycle helmets that connect to a cell phone, gps, play music, and can be a walkie talkie between riders that have the same type of system. The ones I have seen online are made by interphone(F5 seems like the best option so far), Sena, Cardo. Also, my helmet came with a recommendation for chatter box but all of the reviews were bad on those for music clarity and phone call volume. Do any of you use products made by these companies or have another option that you would recommend. I have a RS-S if that matters. Thanks!!!

I had some cardos. very unhappy with them. incredibly quiet, and they dont seem to want to pair with anything that isn't cardo for intercom.

MMcc
10-17-2012, 01:29 AM
I have an old chatterbox not the latest, does not compare to my Cardo scala rider. Wife and I have good connections while riding. At 65+mph some problem with phone Bluetooth. Once connected works well, but voice command to make call has mixed results. At lower speeds everything works well. I use modular full face helmet and wife has open face with full shield. Bluetooth pairing to other devices is not a problem. FM radio works well in town, reception out in the sticks not to good.

Pandy
10-17-2012, 01:45 AM
We have had excellent results withour Cardos. We have, I beleve, the G4 set and pairing has never been an issue and the Bluetooth connection consistency seems to depend on the device. Not the cheapest, nor the costliest, but good results for us. Oh, we wear helmets with shields, with the full face hats we had, it sounded like somebody hollering down a drainpipe.

Patrick

Laila's Dad
10-17-2012, 01:46 AM
What you all are saying goes hand and hand with the reviews I have seen online. Although the one made by interphone(F5) had a good review by a dealer but I haven't seen much from actual customers. Two or three hundred dollars is a lot of money FOR ME to spend if it doesn't really help me on the highway.

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
You are really asking GREAT questions! :clap:
I've got no answer for you since I normally keep my RT's stereo hopping... (the guys in the Tuba factory downtown keep asking me to lower the volume!)
I DO know that my ScalaRider Teamset Pro intercoms have a plug that you can hook an I-Pod up to...

NancysToy
10-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Although the Sena SMH10 seems to me to be the best of the wireless units, I prefer wired systems. They are pretty bulletproof as far as communications on one machine. We use the Starcom1 systems. Seamless hookups to MP3 and phone (wired), and some of the best automatic noise and volume adjustments available. If you carry a passenger, the intercom is outstanding.

warp10
10-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Sena SMH10 works great for our group. Just bought the complete dual set up, you should be able to get a single for 130-150 range.
hurry up and get legal, have someone ride your spyder to one of the weekend courses and you can use it to pass the test. You will not be legal for 2 wheelers, just 3 wheels. We have several rides coming up in Nov and Dec. hope to see you then.

Farmbanker
10-17-2012, 07:10 AM
My wife and I use the Sena SmH10 units while riding our RT. Good volume, clarity, battery life. Pairs with my phone or IPod via Bluetooth. As mentioned can also connect via wire to Ipod or or music player. Works good that way for radio if you like.

Ivorspyder
10-17-2012, 08:26 AM
I just got my Sena SM10 yesterday.In no time I had it hooked up and went riding with good music.Also used the phone.The best deal I found was The Dual headset package.$247.00 including shipping from Eastern Performance Cycles.www.easternperformance.com

Ivor:spyder:

SPYD3R
10-17-2012, 09:07 AM
i bought the CARDO SCALA G9 in May of 2012, and it's a GREAT UNIT... it's made in the USA, Pennsyvania actually, and the guys there are GREAT to work with... the G9 is upgradable, and will also communicate with the older G4's... sound is very clear and will Blue-Tooth to your phone, GPS, etc... the ONLY thing i can think of that is a negative, is that it has so many things it can do, that it's confusing when reading the booklet for the first twenty times...

Papa
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
I've been using the Sena SMH10 for two seasons now both as an intercom with my wife on the back and to talk to my buddy on his HD. They work great in both situations. I typically have my iPhone (music) and a Garmim Zumo 220 connected on trips. Nevere have had any issues even in a downpour at highway speeds.

FreeThinker
10-17-2012, 09:11 AM
I have the dual Scala Rider set up (Cardio G4 Powerset)and have really enjoyed it. I am NOT a technology person my any means, so my partner gets everything set up and connected and reminds me which buttons to use each and every time we use them. I originally bought them to A) play music and B) to have bike to bike communication (At the time we were a 2 motorcycle family - 1 Harley, 1-Ninja; that has since changed since I just sold the Ninja to help fund a SPYDER :yes:!!!!!!) Negating my technology inabilities, I like the Scala Rider (I found it lightly used on another motorcycle forum) and would buy it again. Since the company recently released the G9 set, you might find some used G4s on various motorcycle boards.

I don't know the laws where you live; however, in Tennessee getting your DL is as easy as taking the written test then the driving test portion. I AM a big fan of the motorcycle safety classes, but in TN a class is not a requirement to attaining one's DL. If you are comfortable with studying a pamphlet and feel confident enough to ride your Spyder while making a few turns, some merging, and stopping, you would easily pass the test required for a motorcycle endorsement for a TN DL. Again, I AM a fan of the moto safety classes and this information holds true in TN; I am unsure about other states.

Enjoy,
Katie

Macca
10-17-2012, 09:41 AM
My wife an I use the Scala G4 and the voice commands are hit and miss. The intercom works but does drop out once in awhile. I will say when riding by myself it works perfectly syncd with GPS and iPhone. I may move to the Sena 10.

Dustybell
10-17-2012, 10:43 AM
We've used the Sena headsets for about a year. Couldn't be more pleased. Able to talk to the two other sets in our group, answering the phone and listening to music.

There are several good choices out there. Good luck in your search.

ARtraveler
10-17-2012, 11:15 AM
Another Cardo user here. No problems with the G'2s that we are still using.

asp125
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Scala Q2 Pro users here. Have em on our touring gear. They pair up ok, only sometimes there is a bit of delay between turning them on and pairing. The in-helmet speakers are not as good as say earbuds, but we can hear each other even while wearing earplugs. Built in FM radio is kind of weak; clumsy controls and poor reception - but I never use it anyway. Range of transmission is 1mi line of sight, less in canyon twisties. Will probably go with Sena next time.

Laila's Dad
10-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Sena SMH10 works great for our group. Just bought the complete dual set up, you should be able to get a single for 130-150 range.
hurry up and get legal, have someone ride your spyder to one of the weekend courses and you can use it to pass the test. You will not be legal for 2 wheelers, just 3 wheels. We have several rides coming up in Nov and Dec. hope to see you then.

I was thinking of getting a small trailer from Uhaul for about $35 to take my spyder to the course to avoid having it on the road before I am legal. I am excited about taking a real ride but want to be as comfortable as possible before I get in real traffic. :-)

Laila's Dad
10-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I have the dual Scala Rider set up (Cardio G4 Powerset)and have really enjoyed it. I am NOT a technology person my any means, so my partner gets everything set up and connected and reminds me which buttons to use each and every time we use them. I originally bought them to A) play music and B) to have bike to bike communication (At the time we were a 2 motorcycle family - 1 Harley, 1-Ninja; that has since changed since I just sold the Ninja to help fund a SPYDER :yes:!!!!!!) Negating my technology inabilities, I like the Scala Rider (I found it lightly used on another motorcycle forum) and would buy it again. Since the company recently released the G9 set, you might find some used G4s on various motorcycle boards.

I don't know the laws where you live; however, in Tennessee getting your DL is as easy as taking the written test then the driving test portion. I AM a big fan of the motorcycle safety classes, but in TN a class is not a requirement to attaining one's DL. If you are comfortable with studying a pamphlet and feel confident enough to ride your Spyder while making a few turns, some merging, and stopping, you would easily pass the test required for a motorcycle endorsement for a TN DL. Again, I AM a fan of the moto safety classes and this information holds true in TN; I am unsure about other states.

Enjoy,
Katie

Funny thing Katie, is that on the TxDPS website it lists the safety course as if it is required but it doesn't spefically say that. It only states that the driving test is waived if you have taken the safety course. I will take the course anyway, but wasn't 100% if it was required. My dealer gave me to pamplets for places that does the safety course and allows spyders but I have to buy some riding boots or hightop shoes to take the course. They say the shoe has to cover the ankle, which is odd to me because I ride now in low top shoes with no issues but I am sure there is a valid reason for it...

Requirements for All Applicants
All first time applicants for a Texas motorcycle license must:

Apply in person at a Texas Driver License office (http://www.spyderlovers.com/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/search.asp).
Complete the requirements for an original applicant (http://www.spyderlovers.com/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm).
Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you are 18 years of age or older.

Laila's Dad
10-17-2012, 01:44 PM
...that I use a 3/4 helmet with the communication system?

Dustybell
10-17-2012, 03:25 PM
...that I use a 3/4 helmet with the communication system?

My husband and I both use 3/4 helmets. I have added a face shield to mine. We use the sena SMH10 units.
http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview

NancysToy
10-17-2012, 03:27 PM
I was thinking of getting a small trailer from Uhaul for about $35 to take my spyder to the course to avoid having it on the road before I am legal. I am excited about taking a real ride but want to be as comfortable as possible before I get in real traffic. :-)

Most U-Haul trailers will not fit the Spyder. The ramp entry is too small.

Spyder777
10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
My wife and I ride with the Sena smh5 on the RSS. My buddy rides with one on his BMW. I can switch between talking with him and talking with my wife. We can all listen to separate music when not talking. GPS. Phone. Voice dialing. Voice answering. Helmet to helmet up to 400 meters. Waterproof. Rechargeable. Easy to use with gloves. Can skip a song when you don't like it. $90 per set or $180 for a dual set. Great volume. Great clarity. Looks slick. Works great. Can charge while using.

Laila's Dad
10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Most U-Haul trailers will not fit the Spyder. The ramp entry is too small.

Ill have to check it out. They have a 5x9 trailer and a 6x12. Both come with a loading ramp. I would prefer to tow it there and back than have one of crazy buddies destroy the motor driving 60mph in 1st gear. :roflblack:

NancysToy
10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Ill have to check it out. They have a 5x9 trailer and a 6x12. Both come with a loading ramp. I would prefer to tow it there and back than have one of crazy buddies destroy the motor driving 60mph in 1st gear. :roflblack:
The tailgate opening in their 6x12 is too narrow on most of their trailers. Be sure to measure the tailgate opening in person before your rent.

bruisersbaby
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
i bought the CARDO SCALA G9 in May of 2012, and it's a GREAT UNIT... it's made in the USA, Pennsyvania actually, and the guys there are GREAT to work with... the G9 is upgradable, and will also communicate with the older G4's... sound is very clear and will Blue-Tooth to your phone, GPS, etc... the ONLY thing i can think of that is a negative, is that it has so many things it can do, that it's confusing when reading the booklet for the first twenty times...

This is what we have, and had great communication to Lamont's and back. Being the 'follower', I have to have good communication with the leader (Bruiser), who is a more experienced rider and can let me know of anything ahead. We haven't tried the bluetooth, radio, etc., but were very happy the the G9

CurtG
10-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Wife and I have G9's as do the rest of our immediate circle. As someone else noted they do so much and the manual basically sucks swamp water they can be daunting to figure out and let's not even get into the website right now. Anyway most of the time they work fine, then I'll get a tap on the shoulder and get asked why I didn't answer the question. Didn't hear it. Sure it's something I haven't figured out yet and need to spend a little more time working with :banghead:.

Probably should have purchased through a local dealer so I could walk in and get help.

When we're connected they work fine and sound good and in our area the fm stations I programed come in fine.

I took the MSF course here in Ohio, with zero 2 wheel experience, here passing the course waves the driving test to get a full MC endorsement. Wife is going to do her's come spring and warmer weather.

Road trip tomorrow to Cincinnati if all goes as planned.

Have fun, ride safe
Curt

shelbydave
10-23-2012, 04:06 PM
We use one of the older Chatterbox units, but I didn't like that thing attached to my helmet, so I put the unit in the trunk, ran wires, and installed plugs up front, and by the passenger handgrip. I have the radio running into it (tied into the rear speakers with an impedance matching unit), and I wired in my old Garmin Nuvi-205 too.
I was going to add individual volume controls, but I think we're going to switch to the Sena bluetooth units eventually.

elixermixer
10-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Big fan of my sena unit even if you do get funny looks while you play the air drums at a stoplight it's all good just stare back (helps if you have a dark shield) or maybe you look like ray Charles at a stop light music is always good. I put a piece of velcrow on the bars so I can switch music for my mood especially on longer rides sometimes you just don't want "that song"

dave01
10-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Just saw this post as I was sitting here in my living room, helmet on pairing up the SENA SM10 bluetooth transmitter to my SMH 10 helmet sets. Phone, GPS, rider to passenger seem to work great. Tomorrows test ride will tell the whole story.
The SM10 unit can pait 2 helmets to it to hear all output from the vehicle, with an adapter cable.

SpyderRx
10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Wife got me a Sena smh 10 for our anniversary yesterday. Now I'm off to Disney World tomorrow with the family so will be next week before I can test it out

Dwanton
10-24-2012, 07:28 PM
What you all are saying goes hand and hand with the reviews I have seen online. Although the one made by interphone(F5) had a good review by a dealer but I haven't seen much from actual customers. Two or three hundred dollars is a lot of money FOR ME to spend if it doesn't really help me on the highway.

i have the F5's and i have had the F3 and F4 -- the new F5 has lt and rt speakers ,, other older versions only had 1 speaker . i listen to my iphone radio through the bluetooth feature , also talk on the phone and up to 6 units can be paired together at the same time. that is 6 riders can talk to each other on a ride.

i have never tried any other system because i havent had any issues with the interphone F series units.

i also use them when riding quads in the woods which is great

Ray&Charlotte
10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi! We've only purchase one comm system in our lives and it was the Sena SMH10 dual. Not tech savvy, but they sync'd right up, both Galaxy SIII and wife's Pantech -no issues. Can answer/make calls easily w/ gloves on - VOX was pesky at times, meaning: to activate, you had to blow the mic, get a chirp then G2G..then we'd go miles w/ open mics w/o any wind noise and wonder why we are not having to activate VOX (probably should read the manual or go to Youtube). We are not savvy enough to know how the tapping of our Jog Buttons are affecting the headsets (yet). I have to say the big negative for me, was the owner's manual - plenty thick - however, when you peal away the dozen or so foreign languages in the book, you'll find a very small section on setting up and tuning in and not friendly enough for me.

I thought after the easy set up/sync to bluetooth, we'd just take the owner's manual w/ us and look at it at stops. We are very pleased (oh and surprised) while stopped and chatting in helmets, my phone/helmet took the call, finished the call, then heard music from it's built in MP3 player! My pesky gloves caused that to happen on the cells touchscreen. Was a nice surprise to know that calls/music and intracom all worked nicely and will stop/start w/o me touching anything on the module.

Can charge while using, but we have (as far as I know) only one 12V charger in the trunk...never had to charge while riding though - long life, and lights will blink a sequence when turning on to let you know how much life is left. We are very pleased w/ Sena right now - they are loud enough too, will chirp/beep, has voice activated commands, we've not gotten that far though!! And i used to think this was a stretch, but it's the truth w/ these headsets = callers will be surprised that you are on a spyder merrily on your way!! Good luck!!

MikeinGA
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Although the Sena SMH10 seems to me to be the best of the wireless units, I prefer wired systems. They are pretty bulletproof as far as communications on one machine. We use the Starcom1 systems. Seamless hookups to MP3 and phone (wired), and some of the best automatic noise and volume adjustments available. If you carry a passenger, the intercom is outstanding.

:agree: 100%

Mike

Spyder777
10-25-2012, 09:38 AM
And what about when someone else wants to join in on your ride??

the Sena will let up to 5 or 6 helmets/riders communicate. So I can switch between talking with my wife on the back of the Spyder and my buddy up to 400 meters away and whoever I'm not talking to can listen to music. When I'm chatting with my wife and my buddy wants to let me know about an upcoming sharper than normal curve, he taps his button, my helmet says intercom requested, I tap my button and now the two of us are talking and my wife's music automatically unpauses and continues playing till either she or I requests communication.

Ray&Charlotte
10-25-2012, 10:49 PM
And what about when someone else wants to join in on your ride??

the Sena will let up to 5 or 6 helmets/riders communicate. So I can switch between talking with my wife on the back of the Spyder and my buddy up to 400 meters away and whoever I'm not talking to can listen to music. When I'm chatting with my wife and my buddy wants to let me know about an upcoming sharper than normal curve, he taps his button, my helmet says intercom requested, I tap my button and now the two of us are talking and my wife's music automatically unpauses and continues playing till either she or I requests communication.

Thanks! We experienced a similiar situation above tonight while ryding. Although we were not joined to other ryders, between the two of us - we were on intracom, w/o having to blow or activate open mic - they remained opened, talking nicely - I got a call, chimes, tapped Jog, picked up phone, wife didn't know it (didn't mention it to her about my headset chiming), while on the bluetooth call; I hear "intercom requested" - realizing it was wife tapping jog, I turned my head and said, "It's your sister! I'm talking to V***" ((turns out when I removed our modules from the helmets a couple night ago and recharged (but they can be charged in place on the mount on helmet), I placed them on the opposite helmets today - which when her sister reached me, we were both very surprised! Then realized the previously blutooth sync modules were on the opposite helmets (we have matching helmets)!

A few minutes later, I hung up, went seemlessly back to intracom - then daughter called for wife - but it came to me since I had the module attached to me! Again, another suprised caller!! But this time, i asked wife to ping me for intracom, while I kept daughter on bluetooth, and viola' - I took the intracom, my daughter was placed on hold, and I jogged back and forth w/ each for testing purposes. Learn something new everyday.:thumbup: