PDA

View Full Version : Air intake comparisons

major911
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
OK I'm trying to decide between ESI Green Filter and kewl metal performance air intake for my 2011 RSS. I like the idea of getting rid of the stock airbox for future accessibility like plugs and wire changes and general maintenance. Seems like the everything would be cooler in the engine compartment with it being more open JMHO. However I have heard that the noise level increases considerably with this upgrade. I'm also giving BRP engineers the benefit of the doubt, surely there was some method to their madness when they created that air box monstrosity and it routing. What delicate balance might I be upsetting by eliminating it. Tell me what system you chose, why, and how is it working out for you? I expect this to be a lively thread.
:popcorn::2excited:

Ga Blue Knight
10-16-2012, 07:55 PM
The significant change is the free flow of air into the engine using these air filters creating a more lean condition. The engine is already pretty lean to start with. There will be a sort of whistling sound with the Kewmetal open airflow system that some folks like and others of course dislike. I have heard it and it sounds like a turbo spinning up to me. Not objectionable just different. If you also combine the airflow modification with a new exhaust system you may need a fuel system controller as well to return the engine to a more valence mixture.

asp125
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
You will get increased intake noise. As for lean condition, I'm sure the EFI will adjust the air/fuel mixture. If you increase the airflow at the intake, add a free flow exhaust to maximize the performance; and yes, you'll want to add a programmable module to optimize the power.

Sarge707
10-16-2012, 09:15 PM
OK I'm trying to decide between Evolusion Green Filter and kewl metal performance air intake for my 2011 RSS. I like the idea of getting rid of the stock airbox for future accessibility like plugs and wire changes and general maintenance. Seems like the everything would be cooler in the engine compartment with it being more open JMHO. However I have heard that the noise level increases considerably with this upgrade. I'm also giving BRP engineers the benefit of the doubt, surely there was some method to their madness when they created that air box monstrosity and it routing. What delicate balance might I be upsetting by eliminating it. Tell me what system you chose, why, and how is it working out for you? I expect this to be a lively thread.
:popcorn::2excited:

If You Simply buy a Purolator "Pure One" air filter for about $20 at Advanced Auto you will-
1- Equal the same air intake as a K&N
2- Provide about TWICE the filtration of the K&N
3-Increase you performance and Fuel Mileage by 10%.
4-Still retain the Normal Sound Unlike the Super Loud Sound of the alternative! IMHO Only!!!

Ga Blue Knight
10-17-2012, 04:48 AM
I can't answer for the RS but I have the Kewl Metal air intake on the RT.
The noise level isn't appreciably louder except when accelerating and then it's a satisfying growl.

As far as the "lean" question this really escapes me.
My RT runs better with the mod.
The spark plugs are the nice butterscotch color that indicates the engine is happy.

I guess I need schooling in how eliminating the airbox somehow forces more air into the engine.

Roger, it's not the intake but the free flowing filter that let's more air in. The computer should be ok with handling the leaner condition as long as the mapping can handle the increased flow. Several folks have reported popping and backfires with increased air flow. These are signs of a leaner condition. The sparks plug could still be ok as to the amount of heat they experience if the mapping by the computer is still in range. Unfornatualy when dealing with the Spyder Roadster it seems that each bike, even within a model, is different and reacts in a different manner. My son and I both had identical 2009 RS SE's. We both had two brothers exhausts and K&N filters installed, his popped badly mine not at all! We never could figure out why, maybe an air leak in the system.

CyncySpyder
10-17-2012, 06:28 AM
55762:yes:55763:yes:55764
:yes:55765

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Roger, it's not the intake but the free flowing filter that let's more air in. The computer should be ok with handling the leaner condition as long as the mapping can handle the increased flow. Several folks have reported popping and backfires with increased air flow. These are signs of a leaner condition. The sparks plug could still be ok as to the amount of heat they experience if the mapping by the computer is still in range.

:agree: A very clear explanation! :clap:

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 07:38 AM
The "better" air filters will allow the air to be drawn through them more easily.
No doubt; a larger surface area will also let more air in also... Oftentimes, we're limited by space considerations in that regard.

docdoru
10-17-2012, 07:42 AM
If Aerocharge Turbo wasn't in the market, Evoluzione Race Airflow was still on my 2008 RS. nojoke

major911
10-17-2012, 09:36 AM
55762:yes:55763:yes:55764
:yes:55765

Nice :2thumbs: let me know how you like it after the install. Of course your on an RT so the noise will be a little different than for me, but I'd still like to know what you think of it.

mcaccamise
11-26-2012, 01:06 AM
+1 on that:thumbup:

Campverdefela
11-26-2012, 08:22 AM
My mods are very similar to yours and have had the Kewlmetal K&N intake on now for 2 years. I highly recommend the combination. Love the more throaty intake sound that you will get with this setup, masks the mechanical sound of the twin. Like you said, lots of room around the engine, a blessing when doing any work in their. Probably a slight increase in performance once you fine tune the JB to the increased air flow.

blambert
11-28-2012, 12:33 AM
If You Simply buy a Purolator "Pure One" air filter for about $20 at Advanced Auto you will-
1- Equal the same air intake as a K&N
2- Provide about TWICE the filtration of the K&N
3-Increase you performance and Fuel Mileage by 10%.
4-Still retain the Normal Sound Unlike the Super Loud Sound of the alternative! IMHO Only!!!

So you are saying that by installing the Purolator Pure One filter gives the same performance as the Kewl Metal modification. I have a 2011 RS Spyder and I was considering the Kewl Metal but the price tage is $250+

Sarge707
11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
So you are saying that by installing the Purolator Pure One filter gives the same performance as the Kewl Metal modification. I have a 2011 RS Spyder and I was considering the Kewl Metal but the price tage is $250+

In My Opinion it is just as good or better than a K & N because it lets in the same amount of air but filters it MUCH better than the K & N?
Its a paper use 6 months (or Soo) and throw away! My 09 GS screams off the line and its as quiet as stock! (This is my opinion)

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/K-and-N-filters.htm

OK I found at least some tests that show K & N vs the rest of the world-Sort of like those Oil Tests Amsoil did.
I haven,t digested it ALL yet and it Doesn,t say if the Purolator is the "Pure One" or Not BUT the tests do Not show K & N
in a very positive Light!! (Scroll Down some to see the test Graphs!)