PDA

View Full Version : Gas Milage with the RS

Motorcycledave
10-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Hi Everyone
I am just wondering what gas mileage most of you are getting with the RS riding single not 2 up...
mine is a 2008 model. Today I filled up the tank when the little red gas pump came on I did the math
and I am getting 27.8 MPG the tank before was 27.5. Is that normal ???? my car gets better than that
my daily driver is a Cheve. HHR it always gets 30 or better average, My ST1100 and ST1300 both get
46 to 50 MPG all the time.... I am guessing it must be the added mass bigger frame more tires on the ground
and such. But how would you explain the milage the car gets it has way more mass 4 tires on the ground
and weights more. ????:dontknow:
Dave

mooneych
10-15-2012, 05:59 AM
09 RS getting 28 to 30 mpg average. :)

docdoru
10-15-2012, 06:30 AM
22-25 mpg with Aerocharge Turbo. Did not purchased the 2008 Spyder for fuel economy. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-15-2012, 07:20 AM
There's countless threads about this very issue... :bdh:
Why not take a pass through the Search function so that you get caught up? :thumbup:

dave01
10-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Mine was bad on the RS, just because I stayed in the throttle a lot. Much more fun around town than my RT. Maybe its time to go back to one? Maybe an RSS.

major911
10-15-2012, 07:52 AM
28 - 33 :doorag:

NancysToy
10-15-2012, 08:47 AM
You are right on the money. My wife gets the same on her 2008 GS...and she gets better in her HHR, too. :)

Kratos
10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
It shocks people when I tell them the fuel economy. The excited look on their face immediately turns into a sharp dissappointment. It is what it is....doesn't bother me because I don't do long distance driving anyway.

boborgera
10-15-2012, 11:33 AM
The easiest, Way to equate mileage compared to an automobile is to compare HP to weigh,.
Buy a Trike with the same HP to weigh as an average economy auto, And that Trike will get 50/60 MPG.
ie; 150/250 cc with the trike. If BRP was looking to sell Spyders with high MPG, They would have used a 250cc engine, And then very quickly go out of business selling dull machines.

Colin
10-15-2012, 02:11 PM
As much as it pains me to spend $50.00 when I fill up over here, I would not swap it or compromise anything about it for better economy. I ride it because I love it, and if I want economy I will drive a 1500cc car :D

Motorcycledave
10-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi all
Thank you for the information... I don't much care what the mileage is I was just wondering
what most people get... I never buy toys with the idea of getting economy I know better.
I did have a Honda twin star in about 1975 that got around 80 mph but with it only being a
175 cc you better not take it on California freeways....My Gold Wing only gets 32 to 35 tops
Dave:)

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi Everyone
I am just wondering what gas mileage most of you are getting with the RS riding single not 2 up...
mine is a 2008 model. Today I filled up the tank when the little red gas pump came on I did the math
and I am getting 27.8 MPG the tank before was 27.5. Is that normal ???? my car gets better than that
my daily driver is a Cheve. HHR it always gets 30 or better average, My ST1100 and ST1300 both get
46 to 50 MPG all the time.... I am guessing it must be the added mass bigger frame more tires on the ground
and such. But how would you explain the milage the car gets it has way more mass 4 tires on the ground
Dave
I hate telling you the bad news but you don't have an RS......You have a GS........As do I, more bad news I average 38 to 39 MPG consistantly over the past 5000 miles or so........Mike

CentralCoastCA
10-15-2012, 11:29 PM
32-34 with mixed city and highway. Mine's an 08 GS SM5

MikeinGA
10-15-2012, 11:39 PM
I hate telling you the bad news but you don't have an RS......You have a GS........As do I, more bad news I average 38 to 39 MPG consistantly over the past 5000 miles or so........Mike

On my 2011 RS-S SE5 I road 120 miles from North East Ga. to Maggie Valley, NC. On the way up I got 41.2 mpg and back 42.5. No the Smokey Mtn. Parkway I got 34.0 to 36.1 mpg. I used high test gas on the hole trip. I had a my carbs. cleaned and balanced and a new map sensor installed about 1,000 miles ago. I have NGK Iridium sparkplugs, BajaRon plug wires, Amsoil, K&N air fliter, and no oil in my airbox.

Mike

motoford
10-16-2012, 12:31 AM
It's hard to compare the mileage with a car as I would bet you are on the gas more with the Spyder. I'm sure if you were in the same cruising sweet spot on both the mileage on the Sypder would be better. Mileage on a bike is all in the wrist.

I ride a CBR F4i on the street which isn't that bad but I'm always filling up. A guy at Advance Auto once commented that my bike probably got good gas mileage. "Not like I ride it" I said. These 25 - 30 quotes I hear are better than I get on a 600 with half the weight.

Another good example is jet-skis, a tank can last all day or 1.5 hours depending on how you ride. I tell the kids half throttle max :D.

retread
10-16-2012, 07:27 AM
On my 08 GS, the worst I've gotten is around 28, 2 up pulling a trailer at 75 mph. The best was 38, on a ride where I rarely got above third gear, or 45 mph!

john

Black Pig
10-16-2012, 08:05 AM
30 give or take a couple.

Two up around 40, that's because I rarely go over 60mph with my precious cargo (Anne) aboard.

Tierhog
10-16-2012, 06:47 PM
33-36 juicebox pro, HMF and green filter

boborgera
10-16-2012, 09:57 PM
30 give or take a couple.

Two up around 40, that's because I rarely go over 60mph with my precious cargo (Anne) aboard.

Was that with Imperial Gallons. :dontknow:

elixermixer
10-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Most sport bikes have dismal mpg ratings and range as well. Take a stroll thru any Ducati or aprilia forum and you'll hear "blah blah blah I ran out after 100 miles" same story different ride. If its fuel sipping distance this is the wrong mount, an 883 sportster should get you 50 on the highway and probably out distance a spyder with a baby 3 gallon tank... Oh well.
twist go refuel ... Oh and smile while your at it
and when someone looks down on you when they hear your truck like mpg rating tell them to buy a EV to offset your carbon footprint so you can have fun

Black Pig
10-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Was that with Imperial Gallons. :dontknow:

Yeah, but I think the UK gallon is slightly bigger than the US one for some reason.

UK Gallon is 4.46 litres.

pathfinderjoe
10-23-2012, 12:25 AM
With my 08 GS I get 28 to 32 depending on lots of factors, With my 08 Dodge 1 ton dually I get 17 empty 11 hauling camper and pully the spyder transport. I'm happy with the 28 - 32 - it's all relative.

:thumbup:

boborgera
10-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Yeah, but I think the UK gallon is slightly bigger than the US one for some reason.

UK Gallon is 4.46 litres.

Yep,
So' that would lower your MPG figures compared to someone checking their mileage using US gallons.

Black Pig
10-23-2012, 07:45 AM
No, if the gallon is bigger, that means more miles per.

but I think the difference is minor.

boborgera
10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
No, if the gallon is bigger, that means more miles per.

but I think the difference is minor.

Imp. Gal. = 4.560 L
Us Gal.=3.785 L

Black Pig
10-23-2012, 10:24 AM
so if I was to get 36MPG (imp)
I would be getting 30.3 MPG (US)

But realistically, it is exactly the same, because in both instances I am getting 8 Miles Per Litre in both instances.

*Gad I had to take my socks off for the final part of that calculation....*

Bob Denman
10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
Imp. Gal. = 4.560 L
Us Gal.=3.785 L

So you knock about sixth-off when going from metric to U.S... :thumbup:

And and back about a fifth when doing the Math in the other direction... :thumbup::thumbup:

aka1004
10-23-2012, 08:58 PM
My average is just below 25 mpg, I think.
It's been as low as 90 miles to 150 when red light comes on but I think 23 mpg on average.

Laila's Dad
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM
I will probably never get real deep into how the engine and filters help gas milage(I put that in my mechanics hands) but if I average driving around 60 to 60 mph is it safe to assume that I should get around 30 mpg? I know that wind and other things are factors, but in general...

Bob Denman
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I would assume that 30 mpg is a safe estimate...
But your mileage may vary! :shocked: :roflblack:

boborgera
10-24-2012, 10:37 AM
I ran out of gas on purpose once, I had two 1 gal tanks in the trunk, Put the one tank in and ran it dry,
Went 49 miles, Then when i was putting in the second tank i realized the two tanks had 1-1/2 gal in each each.
So being that i thought the tank was 1 gal does that 49 mpg still count. :rolleyes: :joke:

bone crusher
11-12-2012, 12:03 PM
If you get 30, you're doing fine. My sentiment is that anyone getting 35ish is driving it like a granny. If you have a manual and punch it on twisties and like some speed here and there, you're not going to get 35.

When I 'cruise' with my harley buddies, I get around 33...when I ride in a more spirited fashion, I sit around 29-30.

Juice box, Green filter, and hindle...

MLavore
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Sounds right. I just calculated mine at 27.956 mpg average over the last 2200 miles and I don't drive like a psycho but I have a little fun on straight-away's every now and again.

I am on a 2011 RSS with a Hindle, hard bags and passenger backrest if that counts for anything.

Spyder777
11-12-2012, 09:10 PM
I always ride HARD. Shift upwards of 6,000 rpm always. Sometimes 8,000 and always get at least 30 mpg. Even 2 up.

i'm actually pretty sure that the harder I ride, the higher the mpg.

2012 RSS SM5

hawkiii
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't get very good mileage. I haven't learned how to ride like an adult yet.:roflblack:

Trevor G
01-03-2013, 03:00 AM
I always ride HARD. Shift upwards of 6,000 rpm always. Sometimes 8,000 and always get at least 30 mpg. Even 2 up.

i'm actually pretty sure that the harder I ride, the higher the mpg.

2012 RSS SM5

That actually is the reverse of what really happens.

The higher the revs, the more fuel you use.

The faster you travel, the more fuel you use.

Even if you use a lower gear with seemingly less throttle rolled on, you will still be using more fuel at the same speed than if you were in a higher gear.

That's one of the reasons we have gears, so that at cruising speeds we can be using fewer revs and less fuel.

The main reason Spyders are so thirsty is because BRP made a very bad compromise when they chose the engine and gearbox for the Spyder. They used a semi-racing engine with a close ratio, 6 speed gearbox.

They dropped 1st gear so that we could get reverse, then lowered the overall gearing so that first would not be too high. It is still too high, and 5th is too low for economical touring/round towning.

The engine is revving around 4,500 at 65mph, way too high for economy. Even 3800rpm would be probably higher than need be, especially with the torquier RT engine.

You really only need to be able to maintain cruising speed on the flat into a headwind to have the best overall gearing and economy. Meet a hill? Drop it down, afterall, that is what gearboxes are meant for, either to accelerate to pass or to keep momentum up a big hill with a big load.

For economy and best overall performance we need a wide ratio gearbox, with bigger jumps between gears, a lower 1st and a higher 5th. Better still would be the appropriate wide ratio 6 speed gearbox, but that isn't likely to happen now.

Unfortunately BRP cheapskated on the gearbox - and surprisingly they got away with it.

retread
01-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Even if you use a lower gear with seemingly less throttle rolled on, you will still be using more fuel at the same speed than if you were in a higher gear.

That's one of the reasons we have gears, so that at cruising speeds we can be using fewer revs and less fuel.

The main reason Spyders are so thirsty is because BRP made a very bad compromise when they chose the engine and gearbox for the Spyder. They used a semi-racing engine with a close ratio, 6 speed gearbox.

They dropped 1st gear so that we could get reverse, then lowered the overall gearing so that first would not be too high. It is still too high, and 5th is too low for economical touring/round towning.

The engine is revving around 4,500 at 65mph, way too high for economy. Even 3800rpm would be probably higher than need be, especially with the torquier RT engine.

You really only need to be able to maintain cruising speed on the flat into a headwind to have the best overall gearing and economy. Meet a hill? Drop it down, afterall, that is what gearboxes are meant for, either to accelerate to pass or to keep momentum up a big hill with a big load.

For economy and best overall performance we need a wide ratio gearbox, with bigger jumps between gears, a lower 1st and a higher 5th. Better still would be the appropriate wide ratio 6 speed gearbox, but that isn't likely to happen now.

Unfortunately BRP cheapskated on the gearbox - and surprisingly they got away with it.

Comparing the Spyder powertrain to the Aprilia Tuono, the Spyder has less hp, more torque, and the gear that's missing is 6th, which was replaced with reverse, the ratios 1 thru 5 are identical. Even by playing with gear and final drive ratios we won't gain much, we need an engine with a low to mid range torque peak for that.
By the way, the best mileage I've gotten was on a twisty turny ryde where I rarely got above 3rd gear, and never above 45 mph..38.7 mpg.

john

SPYD3R
01-03-2013, 08:40 AM
MPG averages around 35 if i keep it below 5000 RPM's... :thumbup: once over that speed, mileage suffers greatly... :yikes:
i do notice a true increase of 2 - 3 mpg when using NON-ETHANOL GAS... also, a set of 8.8 mm plug wires seemed to help...
i have an '09 GS SE5

Recluze
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Everyone
Dave

The gas mileage on the RS/GS sucks. I get 30 mpg riding one up for my driving style. It does not ever seem to vary very much.

You are getting MPG reports from out of the state of California. Some of these people have access to gas without ethanol in it. We don't here in Kalifornia. Everytime I go out of state my fuel mileage jumps at least 10%. It does so with my suv also. I have never quite understood why the difference is so radical. I understand that ethanol has only 70% of the energy of gasoline but it is only 10% of the mix. I would expect a 3% decrease in mileage but not 10%. I once put E85 in my Spyder and the mileage dropped even further.

Fuel costs are the cheapest part of owning a Spyder. I once had a boat that got 1/2 mile to the gallon. Anything better than that I don't complain too much about.

spydee owner
01-03-2013, 11:01 AM

If Bone crusher is right you must drive like a great granny Mike;)

Campverdefela
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM

Unfortunately BRP cheapskated on the gearbox - and surprisingly they got away with it. Unfortunately the tranny doesn't lock up until 4000 rpm so a lower cruising rpm is probably not good.

napper39
01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
never use ethanol in your spyder ,use gas hi test 98 octane.no wonder so many are having trouble with there spyders.and mine runs so good,i use high test in my scooter also.ethanol:yikes::yikes::yikes::pray:

Trevor G
01-04-2013, 12:32 AM
Comparing the Spyder powertrain to the Aprilia Tuono, the Spyder has less hp, more torque, and the gear that's missing is 6th, which was replaced with reverse, the ratios 1 thru 5 are identical.

Would you have those ratios handy? And the gear tooth numbers?

Even by playing with gear and final drive ratios we won't gain much, we need an engine with a low to mid range torque peak for that.

With a 6500rpm ceiling? It would need to be 1400cc or more.

Actually, we would gain quite a lot with an appropriate wide ratio gearbox. First needs to be a lot lower to help with trailer and hill take-offs, and also in slow or bumper to bumper traffic.

5th needs to be somewhat higher to allow a lower rpm for cruising. Need extra performance? Just drop a gear or two. That's what the gearbox is meant for.

Trevor G
01-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately the tranny doesn't lock up until 4000 rpm so a lower cruising rpm is probably not good.

You must be referring to the SE5.

I don't believe your information is correct.

I have done 400 miles on two different RT SE5s, one with about 4,000 miles and the other with over 20,000 miles.

On neither was there any sign of clutch slip once under way. I don't remember at what speed the clutch locks in when taking off in first, but it seemed to stay locked in.

I do know that the GCU would only allow me to change up once I reached a certain engine speed, obviously based on the speed that would be available once the next higher gear was selected. I kept flicking to change up as soon as possible - I think I could select 5th at around 40mph. That is around 3,000rpm, I believe, maybe just below.

I repeat - at no time was there any sign of clutch slippage. I'm the sort of person who would notice something like that.

However, if you are in 1st in slow moving traffic or a parade you could expect a lot of clutch slip - that is when it will occur, and cause the main damage.

Second problem will be with a big load, (bulky rider and passenger), a trailer and hill starts. In some cases that might be the only time major slippage and wear occurs. Whatever the circumstances, a lower first gear (and appropriate intermediate ratios with a higher top) is the best solution.

The cheapskates should have done it in the first place!

NancysToy
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
You must be referring to the SE5.

I don't believe your information is correct.

I have done 400 miles on two different RT SE5s, one with about 4,000 miles and the other with over 20,000 miles.

On neither was there any sign of clutch slip once under way. I don't remember at what speed the clutch locks in when taking off in first, but it seemed to stay locked in.

I do know that the GCU would only allow me to change up once I reached a certain engine speed, obviously based on the speed that would be available once the next higher gear was selected. I kept flicking to change up as soon as possible - I think I could select 5th at around 40mph. That is around 3,000rpm, I believe, maybe just below.

I repeat - at no time was there any sign of clutch slippage. I'm the sort of person who would notice something like that.

However, if you are in 1st in slow moving traffic or a parade you could expect a lot of clutch slip - that is when it will occur, and cause the main damage.

Second problem will be with a big load, (bulky rider and passenger), a trailer and hill starts. In some cases that might be the only time major slippage and wear occurs. Whatever the circumstances, a lower first gear (and appropriate intermediate ratios with a higher top) is the best solution.

The cheapskates should have done it in the first place!
The SE clutch locks in at 3,200 +/- 200, so anything below 3,500 has the possibility of slippage. You cannot go by the seat of your pants here. The slippage is slight and subtle. A great many SE clutches have been replaced at the owner's cost due to too low RPM operation. BRP has put out a firmware update that raises the allowable shift points to try to address this issue. They have also introduced a new clutch pack, with an additional disc and different material for the plates, to combat clutch slippage issues.

danlnc
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi Everyone
Dave

I get what I get. I don't care because I am going to ryde it anyway.

Trevor G
01-05-2013, 12:28 AM
The SE clutch locks in at 3,200 +/- 200, so anything below 3,500 has the possibility of slippage. You cannot go by the seat of your pants here. The slippage is slight and subtle.

3,200 + 200 = 3500? I know you are just averaging out for safety's sake.

It's so subtle that the engine doesn't speed up at all?

Isn't this an over-centre clutch that locks up at a certain rpm, but unlocks at a somewhat lower rpm?

A great many SE clutches have been replaced at the owner's cost due to too low RPM operation. BRP has put out a firmware update that raises the allowable shift points to try to address this issue. They have also introduced a new clutch pack, with an additional disc and different material for the plates, to combat clutch slippage issues.

I would have thought that BRP would have designed the auto shift to not allow engine speeds that would damage the clutch.

Are you sure they aren't ripping off owners?

Or are those having their clutches replaced doing so because they were trickling along in first gear, slipping the clutch, in slow traffic or the like?

I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share - thanks. The questions I raise are more rhetorical, directed at BRP themselves, rather than at you as a helpful Spyder man.

Tierhog
01-05-2013, 03:01 AM
The gas mileage on the RS/GS sucks. I get 30 mpg riding one up for my driving style. It does not ever seem to vary very much.

You are getting MPG reports from out of the state of California. Some of these people have access to gas without ethanol in it. We don't here in Kalifornia. Everytime I go out of state my fuel mileage jumps at least 10%. It does so with my suv also. I have never quite understood why the difference is so radical. I understand that ethanol has only 70% of the energy of gasoline but it is only 10% of the mix. I would expect a 3% decrease in mileage but not 10%. I once put E85 in my Spyder and the mileage dropped even further.

Fuel costs are the cheapest part of owning a Spyder. I once had a boat that got 1/2 mile to the gallon. Anything better than that I don't complain too much about.

Hey Recluze...try Boyette fuel. No ethanol that I'm aware of..but I don't care for the winter formula :)

NancysToy
01-05-2013, 08:26 AM
3,200 + 200 = 3500? I know you are just averaging out for safety's sake.
You don't want to run right on the edge. 100 rpm is the bare minimum safety margin that should be considered.

It's so subtle that the engine doesn't speed up at all?
That's correct. You are very unlikely to notice it until there is significant wear (and slippage), but the clutch plates and discs will...in time.

Isn't this an over-centre clutch that locks up at a certain rpm, but unlocks at a somewhat lower rpm?
It is a centrifugal clutch, that engages and disengages gradually. It is not "on & off". It doesn't "lock up", but gradually engages and disengages.

I would have thought that BRP would have designed the auto shift to not allow engine speeds that would damage the clutch.
So would I. They seem to be trying to correct that error with the recent update. I don't think they envisioned owners trying to operate outside the norminal power band of the engine.

Are you sure they aren't ripping off owners?
:hun:

Or are those having their clutches replaced doing so because they were trickling along in first gear, slipping the clutch, in slow traffic or the like?
Generally, I expect that is the case, as well as trying to use the engine to climb hills at lower speeds, instead of downshifting. Many people used to automatics on cars don't understand the downshifting concept well. The car will kick down with a vacuum or mechanical modulator, to select a better gear. The Spyder won't. The car's torque converter will also slip without wear or damage...something a centrifugal clutch cannot do.

I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share - thanks. The questions I raise are more rhetorical, directed at BRP themselves, rather than at you as a helpful Spyder man.
Understood. BRP has really done nothing wrong here. They have introduced a vehicle that has attracted a large following of sometimes neophyte users, and has proven to have capabilities that tend to make it ridden a bit differently than what was probably imagined, both in terms of performance and utility. People don't consider the limitations of the platform...they just want three wheels with outstanding stability. To them, all else is secondary. JMHO

:D

coz
01-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I get what I get. I don't care because I am going to ryde it anyway.:agree:

Trail200
01-12-2013, 06:13 PM
I've used all 3 grades of fuel. Mid grade seems to work best for me. I commute to work on my spyder averaging 30mpg. My worst mileage was riding into the wind 28 mpg.