PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy your RT all over again?

stallion143
10-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Thinking about buying an RT and need to know if you guys (& gals) who have already bought one would pull the trigger again? I've read a lot of posts on this and other forums about problems with their RT's. Are these isolated issues, or are they fairly common with this model?

Not trying to "flame" the RT, just need some honest input. I think the RT is an awesome looking ride!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Rar
10-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Absolutely!!! I'm a very new (female) Ryder, both to cycles and the Spyder. My dealer is 26 miles away. I've not had any problems or issues in approx 1200 miles. I have confidence in the Spyder and the dealer. :thumbup: :clap:

ARtraveler
10-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I have had two RS's and now have my second RT. I have not decided about a third RT yet.

james danny
10-14-2012, 09:32 PM
of course i would rt is the only way to ride

rollingstone
10-14-2012, 09:46 PM
After 2 months of ownership and seeing my ride leave on the back of a tow truck for the second time....... I doubt it. Brilliant concept undone by poor reliability (for me).

GadgetGuy442
10-14-2012, 09:46 PM
We've had our 2010 RTS and 622 trailer for 2.5 years and 26,000 trouble free miles. Love it more now than when we first got it....

Yeah, would say we'd do it all over again!

Bill & Sandy

spydercoach
10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a 2012 RT se. I got it about 2 months ago and now have 1900 miles on it. Here in Salem, Oregon there are not very many (i think 2 or 3) and just the attention EVERY TIME i ride is worth it.. By the way I have had absolutely no problems with it. I love it and would definitely do it again. I think they are a little like plane crashes... there are a few of them and draw a lot of attention when it happens that that is all you dwell on, when you don"t consider how many flights there are a day. I think its the same with spyders, there are alot of them out there that have no problems but they don't draw attention to themselves like dissatisfied customer.:yes:

NancysToy
10-14-2012, 10:15 PM
Yes!

We have owned a PE GS since early 2008, and I got one of the first Premiere edition RTs. Teething problems with that did not keep me from trading for a 2011 RT. The breed keeps improving, and the new Gen 2 Spyders look like they will be even better. I hardly ride my other motorcycles anymore. I dearly love the Spyders!

acinpcola
10-14-2012, 10:23 PM
I have a 2011 RT SE and I would surely do it again. Purchased it from a dealer in Kissimmee and have it serviced at a dealer in Gulf Shores, AL. I live in the Pensacola area of Fl. Have had no problems with it since I bought it new in 2011.

AC:spyder2:

Arr MiHardies
10-14-2012, 11:57 PM
13000 miles and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

bikeguy
10-15-2012, 12:00 AM
2010 RT SM5 with just under 30,000 miles. I would definitely buy one again and my wife and riding partner loves it more than I do.

Cotton

btcherm
10-15-2012, 12:20 AM
of course i would rt is the only way to ride :spyder2::firstplace:

DMENTR
10-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Absolutely, Coming up on one year with my 2011 RT-S. I haven't drank the BRP Kool-aid like some. BRP has lots room for improvement, they are nowhere near the product of Honda. I have read about the new product features, not much being said about quality improvements. Not meant as negative, just my thoughts. My daughters love to cruse with me on the Spyder, priceless. The youngest brand it the "Dementor"

Best advice, buy from BEST dealer not cheapest deal. Check out the dealers if you have any choices. Hang out in the service area for awhile, talk to their customers. Good Luck

Pandy
10-15-2012, 03:12 AM
With the modifications and such that I have added post purchase, I would go for the RTS Limited with the trailer and save myself some time and effort. At nearly 32k miles since March 1 2011 yes,probably.

Patrick

CyncySpyder
10-15-2012, 04:37 AM
55647 55648 55649

55650:yes:55651

When the RT first came to market in 2010, ours was not set-up properly from the dealer, causing problem after problem after problem. So much so, I had an attorney on retainer, cause many states' Lemon Laws do NOT cover motorcycles, which the Spyders are legally considered in most states.

After 13,700 miles, I was addicted, but had NO FAITH in that particular unit. Ended up trading for an 11 with Len at Cowtown in Cuba Mo & I can't come close to telling you how different this experience has been from my previous experience. When a dealer knows what their doing, and genuinly cares about the product and the customer, its a WIN WIN for everyone involved.

We've had our 2011 SpyderFest Eddition RT-S now for about a year & a half and have over 34,000 miles with no issues besides general recall stuff that has effected most of them, but nothing thats caused us to loose ryding time and NO LOSS of FAITH in this unit at all, WE LOVE TEDS RED SLED.

If you check over the forum, you will find that many of the issues that folks have, are in fact, dealer induced from lack of initial proper set-up. Not all, like the Throttle Body issues spoke of, but we've never had an issue with ours. And we wouldn't trade the experience & joy this machine has brought us for anything.

MouthPiece
10-15-2012, 05:36 AM
Yes!

We have owned a PE GS since early 2008, and I got one of the first Premiere edition RTs. Teething problems with that did not keep me from trading for a 2011 RT. The breed keeps improving, and the new Gen 2 Spyders look like they will be even better. I hardly ride my other motorcycles anymore. I dearly love the Spyders!

The above response speaks volumes.

Chris

dancogan
10-15-2012, 05:45 AM
We have a 2010 RT-S. I just cannot imagine doing our trip out to Glacier and Yellowstone NP's in any other machine. Having the trailer meant no compromises on clothes, camera equipment and even some fly fishing stuff. While we had a problem in West Glacier, we found a dealer only 35 miles away who had us back on the road faster than I would have imagined. I would not trade our memories from that trip for anything! Still ride 2 wheels, also, but the RT has a special place in our garage.

2ndChildhood
10-15-2012, 05:52 AM
I have a 2012 RTL with 7000 miles on it since June and LOVING IT! No problems here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

harrypottar
10-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Yes, I love my RT and would buy another in a heart beat, the issue for me is not the Spyder.

My wife loves to garden and the hole in the back field is getting longer and deeper, if I came home with a new 2013, guess what would be filling it.

Harry

SpyRyd
10-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Thinking about buying an RT and need to know if you guys (& gals) who have already bought one would pull the trigger again? I've read a lot of posts on this and other forums about problems with their RT's. Are these isolated issues, or are they fairly common with this model?

Not trying to "flame" the RT, just need some honest input. I think the RT is an awesome looking ride!

Absolutely! Great fun...no issues...5600 miles including a 1565 mile trip to TN last month. Probably won't buy another one unless I run the wheels off my 2012 model. Very happy with my :spyder2: RT!

dave01
10-15-2012, 06:14 AM
As my RT sits right now, NO I would not purchase another one. If I were one of the MANY that have had thousands of trouble-free miles, then I would purchase another in a heartbeat. The ride is very comfortable and BRP has learned from us that have been customers since the first spyders rolled out and you can see that by the changes they make each year. The RT is a direct result from RS owners adding side bags, taller windscreens, cruise control devices, stereo's etc to their rides. The ST was born when BRP saw the many posts from us wanting something in-between the two platforms they offered. Comfort and a sport oriented ride.

Champagne
10-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Yes ! I would buy a spyder RT of course there are a few issues but overall
I love my spyder. I also love the spyder community. The spyder is my first motorcycle and in about 30 years
some people have a lot of problems with there's I picked my spyder up" August 2012 4300 miles on it.
No problem other than the anti-free leak. And how hot the right side get. But that is okay. I will work
on that issues.

Ga Blue Knight
10-15-2012, 07:12 AM
On my second Spyder first was a trouble free 2019 RS now I have a trouble free 2012 RTS. It's all about the dealership and how much they know about getting the bike ready to hit the road and keeping it on the road. My next RT in about three or four years will be a Limited Model with all of the add ons. I really pushed the RTS the last few weeks with rides to the twisty roads in the mountains and long distance Highway runs. No problem and nothing but fun!

There are those that have had significant issues, and that is a fact of owning a new design with lots of complex parts and electronics. This is where competent honest dealerships play a major part in customer satisfaction and confidence in the Spyder.

Good luck in your decision!

Bob Denman
10-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Not a "Yes"... :shocked:
More like an, "Oh Hell Yes!!" :2thumbs:
I've had a couple of glitches along the way; but it's still been a blast!:ohyea:

warp10
10-15-2012, 07:24 AM
In a heart beat, YES. 9 months and 9k + with no issues. :yes:

StanProff
10-15-2012, 07:33 AM
13,000 trouble free miles. I can't imagine going cross country any other way. My wife and I covered 13 states from Tenn. to South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma and more. We covered 4,500 miles on a 17 day vacation that we will remember the rest of our lives. Our 2010 RT-S and 622 trailer is the best way to go. All new products have growing pains and even some not so new ones have issues, you can check almost any car or motorcycle forum and read of problems. I had a 2010 ford fusion, A very highly rated car, that had transmission problems and it was not a isolated issue. And speaking of throttle body issues, cars also have these problems as well. A friend of mine had one go bad at 35,000 on his car and when checking in on forums he found that he was not the only one.
Enough said, you might buy a Spyder and have some sort of issue, you may not. You could be like the 10's of thousands of us (world wide) just enjoying the unique ride and having a great time everytime you get on it. My two wheelers are grathering dust in the garage due to the Spyder. I firmly believe the safety of the spyder greatly overshadows any warranty issues or problems that may arrise. If mine were to go into the shop for some reason, for one or two weeks I know that, without a doubt, when I would get it back the wife and I would still be riding the Safest, most unique open air experience there is. That is well worth it. Check out the Safety features of the spyder and compare with any other three wheeler on the market. The Spyder has it Hands Down! The Spyder is engineered from the ground up to be the safest three wheeler on the market. It is not a Kit with a motorcycle front end.

Farmbanker
10-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Not this particular unit since it only made it 86 miles before blowing up. But overall I love the ride, the concept and would buy an RT. Just not this one....

ulflyer
10-15-2012, 07:43 AM
With 20K on my '11 RT I enjoy it more all the time and would likely buy another if finances permitted. They do require more attention than any of the Japanese machines. Unless you're one heck of a good mechanic you're gonna spend a lot of money having the dealer do the servicing. If you can afford that, go for it. Outside of oil/filters every 4500 miles, theres not much else many of us can do. Be aware you're buying a machine with some growing pains and look into getting some sort of extended warranty or at least towing.

But what a teriffic group of folks on this forum that will help you in every way possible if you need it.

bullant12
10-15-2012, 08:02 AM
I have to admit that at first I was a little skeptical, but thanks to Spyderlovers.com I got over my fear so I pulled the trigger with a 2010. After a few mishapps and almost 12K miles later, I love it so much that my wife fell in love with her 2011 RS-S. However, I have noticed that my dealer has been slipping thru the cracks and this has worried me quite a bit, so I bit my tongue and went to the dealer nearest my house which I promised never to set a foot on because they didn't even gave me a time of day when I was in the market. Since some of my local riders (and some that I have never met before) had good thing to say about the dealer near to me, I figured I'd give them a chance since my original dealer did a sloppy job adjusting the belt.

To answer the question: YES! :yes: I'm really looking at the 2013's ;)

shelbydave
10-15-2012, 08:19 AM
Yes. We've had no problems with our RT from day one - that wasn't self inflicted.

fyrertuck
10-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Yes I would hands down.

I have been riding since 1982 and the last 19 years on a 1986 gold wing. I have had 3 big motorcycle accidents and man a man I was going to stop riding. But I pick up my 2012 RT-S ME5 and my wife and I are riding more and more. Hands down the best ride I have had in a long time. I have been pulling my aftermarket trail more and more. I have 5000 miles on it and I cannot say enough about it. Yes as time goes on they will get even better.:ohyea::yes::2thumbs:

Ronsam
10-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Not a "Yes"... :shocked:
More like an, "Oh Hell Yes!!" :2thumbs:
I've had a couple of glitches along the way; but it's still been a blast!:ohyea:

YES

Pennyrick
10-15-2012, 09:36 AM

WE are on our second set of RT's. My wife bought her '10 RT SE in the early part of the year and when the Lava Bronze Limited was offered she traded up. She put 16,000 miles on the first and has 9,000 on the second one.

I had an '11 RT SM and after 12,000 miles traded for a '12 RT Limited in Pearl While. Mine now has 9,000 miles on it.

We're thinking about 2013 models but just thinking at this point. Maybe in 2014?

muonwhiz
10-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Love my Red 2012 RT- now if I can just get my brother to buy one! He loves to ride mine, and I don't mind, but would be alot more fun if he would get one too!

KCPete
10-15-2012, 09:50 AM
In a heartbeat! 11 months, just shy of 12k miles, and not a hiccup on a 2011 RT A/C & 622 Trailer.

BikerMike
10-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes, we would buy another RT. This one is a 2012 with 9000 miles. Our previous bike was a HD Ultra that we rode over 65000 miles. We are very glad to have made the switch to our RT.

grumpybob
10-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah

SpyderAnn01
10-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Absolutely YES! 49,600 miles on my 2010 RT-S SM5 and I am still loving it.

PrairieSpyder
10-15-2012, 11:20 AM
I just got my used 2011 RTS about 3 weeks ago. Had to get the throttle body replaced right off. I had good service from Reno's in KC, who had the part in stock. Put 100 miles on it yesterday.

If I can afford it in about 2-3 years, I'm definitely going to trade it for a new one. I love it.

jerpinoy
10-15-2012, 11:38 AM
YES, Love my 2012 RT SE5 I'm looking forward to ride her to 5, 10, 20, 30, 50 plus k miles like others have done. Hopefully trouble free, I will try to take good care of her, ride her carefully, give her maintenance she deserve, not to race her like sports bike because she not. I read all forums stuffs which I learned from others. I think most of problems are self inflicted. Lets have fun riding safely and enjoy life to the fullest.:yes::yes::yes:

spyderjim2012
10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Better than any harley i had in the last 30 years , very safe ,with all the dumb drivers out there its just as safe as a car,and OMG fun factor of 1000 , 2012 rt with 6k tfm,this site is the bomb, i think we should have a paypal set up so when the site helps us out we can give back and us it for more BBQ ect ,jim

budsspuds
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes after 3000 plus miles on our 12 RT , tempered by the fact that maint. on it is $$$$$$ and compalcated :mad:

Sarge707
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes indeed!!~nojoke
I have had the Yellow one 23,000 miles and Added a Base RTsm5 to my garage for $17,000 plus tax about 10 days ago!
The RT is not the Crotch Rocket the GS is BUT-
It drives so smooth and quiet with the windshield up I don,t really feel any wind noise around my helmet.
The manual is not hard to get used too-I hadn,t driven a manual in 30 years and I Love It!!!
You can get some Real Bargians Right Now so I would go for It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: After you ride the RT you won,t miss the Slightly less performance because the thing Still Moves Well!!

Carold571
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Yes, after 5 months and 9000 trouble free miles on my RT SM5 I would do it again. I plan on a new one for 2014. I love my Spyder:yes::yes::yes:

DR Buck
10-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Absolutely No Way !!!!! I can't afford payments on a second one. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:

But I really love the RT limited I have now.

tofriendscreek
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
An unequivocal YES!!!!
In my lifetime few activities have evoked a love and passion like :f_spider: ryding. I bought an 09 RS having never sat on it. 15K priceless miles, smiles and friends later, I bought an RT, without having ridden one. I rode it home in March 2012. It now has over 9K trouble free miles and it would have many thousands more if work didn't get in the way. :banghead: My love and passion for :f_spider: ryding only increases with time. I often tell folks buying my RT was one of the best investments I have ever made. :) Zero regrets; Zillions of rewards!!!

Deputy56
10-15-2012, 12:30 PM
would buy something smoother. Gild Wing Trike

spyder3
10-15-2012, 12:39 PM
No doubt I would do it again. The spyder has been my only MC ride and love it. 2011 RT LMT with 10k trouble free and fun filled miles. :doorag:

I do have some curiosity surrounding other rides though:dontknow:

billpowell
10-15-2012, 12:43 PM
My wife rides a 2010 RT with 22,000 miles and I just ordered the 2013 RT for her, she loves the :spyder2: and I love the safety of it for her.

Jeriatric
10-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Bought the best mass marketed forward trike designed for touring at the time, and have enjoyed it very much. When I pull the trigger again will the next one be from the same company. If there's nothing better. Yes.

chris56
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I`m just an over the Alps-RT-taxi driver for my wife (29.000 kms) - (never any problem) - so the decitions for a new modell comes from the backseat
;)

Adirondack Mik
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Love it! Sits next to my HD, and my wife's RT.

samewok
10-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Yes I would but the wife said I could not trade my 2011 RT.

CSW61
10-15-2012, 04:34 PM
You bet you. Wife loves it more everythime she rides it. 12,000 miles this year so far and still riding. 2010 RT

Buttsy
10-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Was asked this question on another forum about 2-3 months ago. Initially said most likely wouldn't do it again? As time has continued on I would say I have changed that to maybe I would do it again.

Reliability for me (knock on wood) has not been an issue.

Service costs (only completed the 1000 Kilometer so far) was not an issue, my dealer is excellent. I am just about due for the 6000 Kilometer service and I do not anticipate my dealer changing his operation method much so again not a cost issue.

I think why I have changed my mind slowly is the acceptance that this thing is in no manner a motorcycle, I used to believe it was just another flavour of a motorcycle. Sorry it ain't, compare it to a Goldwing or a BMW or a Harley all you want..............it ain't. So at first it was like @^&%#* me what have I bought, but slowly I accepted it for what it was a CanAm Roadster. No one currently builds anything remotely similar other then of course the cheap knock offs that try and copy cat everything. Once I accepted this "motorcycle comparison" I quit being disappointed in it and started to appreciate the uniqueness of it, with all its beauty and warts showing.

Last thing for me was the "Fun" or "Wow" factor, when you get a handle on the performance and on the handling this thing is just downright cool. The only reason that I may not do it again is if money was not an issue I would most likley go back to a motorcyle.......the Goldwing Trike really floats my boat but up here you will need a fair bit more of a "toy budget" to play.

can-am sam
10-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Yes I would do all over again. In fact, I have ordered a new 2013 RT Limited.

Grandpa Spyder
10-15-2012, 05:30 PM
8200 miles now and not the 1st problem.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/CW_Tuggle/DSCF0001-2.jpg

Netminder
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes, I would, great fun riding and have met wonderful people along the way. Not enough miles on it yet to give an opinion on reliability, but so far so good and a pile of fun!

safecracker
10-15-2012, 07:51 PM
The wife and I sure would. We really enjoy our new toy. :yes::yes:

plescaille
10-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Yes. I have owned Goldwings, BMW's, tricked a gold wing, Harley Road King, Harley FLHTCUSE3( custom Vehicle Operations Ultra Classic Screaming Eagle) and I am enjoying these RT's more than all of them. And this is despite a few problems. :thumbup:

cmar157
10-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I would buy another in a minute only been a few months but have really enjoyed the ride

ruthie
10-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes I would!

farmerjim
10-16-2012, 09:41 PM
If indeed, all of the above responses didn't kinda sorta give you a "BIG" clue, here's one more. I have been on this sight for two years now, biding my time while I rode a Honda VTX1300 which was a great ride, just not a Spyder. I was finally able, due to SteveMac and especially Len at Cowtown to pull the trigger and ride home from Cuba with a 2012 Spyder RT A&C which I DEARLY LOVE as does my wife. One thing that has been mentioned just a few times but I will repeat is "DEALER IS EVERYTHING". If you're on this sight very long, you'll come to know Cowtown and Len as the best reputation I've EVER seen in any dealership, not just Spyders. My only advice to you is talk to the dealers in your area. You'll soon find out who is reputible, and if you don't have dealers close, I promise you, Len and Cowtown in Cuba is worth the drive. You won't be sorry.

Jim Dumey
farmerjim

Cruzr Joe
10-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Simply put, YES

Cruzr Joe

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker

murphybrown
10-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Absolutely! Soon to be 43,000 awesome miles on 2010 RTSE5. I am with Bob it's a big ole' hell yes!!! :thumbup:

Spydee8
10-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Yes, yes and yes!! We love our Spydee!! It is an awesome ryde. I also did a lot of research before we decided to sign on the dotted line. It was the best decision we made!! If we had it to do over again, the only thing we would change is not waiting so long to get one!!

Dee and Mike

GeoffCee
10-17-2012, 05:51 AM
We recently did a tour into France and Germany with a bunch of couples on bikes. Only 4 days in and our RT's passenger seat was voted by the ladies on tour as the "Most Envied Place to Park Your Posterior".

The RT gets noticed, mainly because there is nothing else like it on the road. We have just over 6000 miles on the clock and are loving it. What is there not to like? :dontknow: :roflblack:

Shewhoprays
10-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Absolutely! I have a 2010 RT and have almost 15,000 miles on it. Have not had any problems with it so far. Just wish I could ryde it more but weather gets in the way and then of course there's WORK!!!! bj:sour:

Ivorspyder
10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
I have had my RT Limited for nearly 4 months 3500 miles problem free.I agree with many posts be sure of the dealer you buy from.Not just the price but the key is how they assembled it.I lucked out I bought from an excellent dealer during a 2 month stay in Michigan.Now I am back in South Florida I carefully selected the dealer to service it.I now ride 100 miles instead of 4 dealers who are much closer.
I certainly would buy it again.Its a great ride.I feel much safer than I did on my Goldwing which I loved riding.In the back of my mind 1 or 2 years down the line might get the latest model.

Ivor:spyder:

OldDog
10-17-2012, 09:09 AM
If indeed, all of the above responses didn't kinda sorta give you a "BIG" clue, here's one more. I have been on this sight for two years now, biding my time while I rode a Honda VTX1300 which was a great ride, just not a Spyder. I was finally able, due to SteveMac and especially Len at Cowtown to pull the trigger and ride home from Cuba with a 2012 Spyder RT A&C which I DEARLY LOVE as does my wife. One thing that has been mentioned just a few times but I will repeat is "DEALER IS EVERYTHING". If you're on this sight very long, you'll come to know Cowtown and Len as the best reputation I've EVER seen in any dealership, not just Spyders. My only advice to you is talk to the dealers in your area. You'll soon find out who is reputible, and if you don't have dealers close, I promise you, Len and Cowtown in Cuba is worth the drive. You won't be sorry.

Jim Dumey
farmerjim

Jim, congratulations on your new ride. I remember we both joined Spyderlovers at the same time and related our similar experiences and how we were biding time til we could pull the trigger. Good for you! I'm hoping to pull the trigger too! :clap: :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-17-2012, 09:34 AM
We've been waiting for you to "Drink The Kool-Aid"... :shocked: :roflblack: