PDA

View Full Version : Indicator switch driving me crazy

canamgirls
10-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi.
Has anybody had this problem with the indicator switch?
Instead of cancelling when you push it centrally, it indicates left :sour: Thought it was me at first, when riding, but tried it when stationery with no gloves on and it still does it.

samewok
10-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Hold switch down for one second and it will center.

canamgirls
10-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Hold switch down for one second and it will center.

If i push it centrally, it still indicates left..... Is there something i am missing here? Been riding motorbikes for years.. very simple process on the indicators... push switch right..to indicate right, switch returns to centre...... Push switch to cancel.... Same process for turning left...
Is there something different about these bikes?

cjackg
10-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Here is an extensive thread on this problem:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39013-Why-does-nt-BRP-fix-the-RT-turn-signal-return

ARtraveler
10-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Not a perfect solution for a switch on a very expensive machine. Holding in the switch one to two seconds always cancels it.

The :spyder2: should have a switch that works every time without the mickey mouse.

Pennyrick
10-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi.
Has anybody had this problem with the indicator switch?
Instead of cancelling when you push it centrally, it indicates left :sour: Thought it was me at first, when riding, but tried it when stationery with no gloves on and it still does it.

Patience.

Push and hold... it will cancel.

Not the greatest design but we have learned to live with it.

JkRbbt
10-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Nice to see this come up at this time. I just test rode a 2012 RS and a 2012 RT last week. I thought I was the problem because I wasn't familiar with the machine. Come to find out, it WAS the darn switch. I ride a BMW RT right now, so I am familiar with the push-to-cancel switchology. Never had a problem before. I do have smaller hands, so it was a little more difficult to get a straight push on the switch every time, but the switch itself seemed a bit flimsy compared to the BMW switch. For the money, I think BRP could get a handle on this. 2013, maybe? Hope so, because I am really looking :shocked: at the ST.

See ya on the road!

canamgirls
10-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies :) I will keep trying the push and hold technique. I guess the fact that they are self cancelling after you turn is what makes the whole switch system more crazy. Perhaps it is a bit too technical for its' own good. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained i guess.

eddieshep999
10-14-2012, 05:08 PM
A redesigned switch should be considered by BRP now, but for existing Spyder owners wth this problem mine included -

It would have been good if BRP could find a way to enable riders to use the PTT Switch
(When the CB Radio is not going to be fitted ) as a manual cancel switch for the turn signals

Maybe something could have been configured in the Menu to allow this function - The switch is easy to use and they would not have to change the handlebar layout
BRP software engineers should look at this and if it could be done - Dealers could use BUDS when owners are getting their Spyders serviced for the software update

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

IGETAROUND
10-14-2012, 05:38 PM
A redesigned switch should be considered by BRP now, but for existing Spyder owners wth this problem mine included -

It would have been good if BRP could find a way to enable riders to use the PTT Switch
(When the CB Radio is not going to be fitted ) as a manual cancel switch for the turn signals

Maybe something could have been configured in the Menu to allow this function - The switch is easy to use and they would not have to change the handlebar layout
BRP software engineers should look at this and if it could be done - Dealers could use BUDS when owners are getting their Spyders serviced for the software update

Eddie Sheppard
Reading UK

Great idea, now if BRP will just take it to heart and do something about this everyone would be happier campers.:yes::bowdown:

Bob Denman
10-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Okay; Quick Poll!
Who's going to trade in their Spyder because they improve the turnsignal switch?? :dontknow:

denviola
10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
That exact scenario happed to me yesterday on the highway, and I was sure that the turn signal was cancelled only to find the left signal blinking. It happened more than once and the last time I was watching the signal very carefully. I did have gloves on, I always ride with gloves. Guess I'll find the sweet spot of the switch and be happy. Nothing else to complain about, I love this Spyder!

Babyblue
10-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Finally took my 2012 RT to the dealer to replace the switch. In my case I couldn't get the left signal to turn on at all 1/2 the time. Then it wouldn't shut off, 2 second hold or not. Finally started sticking my left arm out, but only half my arm can be seen. Husband says it looks like I am drying my nails. or waiving at good looking gentlemen.

I can deal with the 2 second delay.....I hope......:shocked: I pick it up Tuesday, so we will see.

ThreeWheels
10-15-2012, 10:28 PM
For what it's worth.......................
After about 20,000 miles, the switch seems to settle down.

Bob Denman
10-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Or it tales us 20,000 miles to get the correct routine sorted out... :D