PDA

View Full Version : Possible Driving Light ??

FrankPa
10-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Thinking about mounting these on the A-Arms, or perhaps even on the inside fender to allow pointing with the front wheels.

Looking for comments... why they're good, why they might be the wrong way to go... these would eliminate the need for HIDs and be a heck of a lot simpler to install. Any thoughts on the best way to get power and control (switch in the blank center spot right to the battery through a fuse? it's only 3 A per pair)... Finally, recommendations for spot vs flood?

Specs are each: 1.5A, 12V, 6x 3W LEDs and producing 1500 lumens (each!). They are about 3-1/4" square.

Thanks for your responses!

Trickie Dick
10-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I have lights similar to those mounted on the A arms. I would have mounted on the fender braces but the mounts cost more than the lights;). I like them where they are. They do give out a lot of light. I have mine directed to the area right in front of the spyder out about 50 feet. I found if I raise them they blind the oncoming traffic.

cjackg
10-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Can you give the link to the source & specs of these???

MMcc
10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
I tried that location on my 2008 GS. Worked very well but when driving at night on less than good roads I did not like the bouncing light pattern. Other drivers kept flashing their lights at me. I tried aiming them lower but then the light beam was almost worthless. Ended up mounting them on the lower wing and that was much better. Much less bounce. Traded for an RTS last year and it had all the front lights I felt I needed for night driving.

ARtraveler
10-12-2012, 12:03 AM
I put dayrunners light strips on my A frame bars. They are more for looks rather than lighting the road ahead though.

You may run into oncoming cars flashing their lights at you if driving lights are not aimed properly. I cannot give you any info about the brand that you are considering though.

Bob Denman
10-12-2012, 07:05 AM
From the picture it looks to me like there isn't any focus indicating the light might be for general. diffused lighting instead of a beam.

:shocked: 55371

chris56
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM
would be intresting to find some - which could be installed on the fenders - to have a "Adaptive Headlight" (like the BMW 1600) lighting in the curves ..

NancysToy
10-12-2012, 08:09 AM
would be intresting to find some - which could be installed on the fenders - to have a "Adaptive Headlight" (like the BMW 1600) lighting in the curves ..
:thumbup: Ugly as sin hanging out there, and they wouldn't do any good for the fuel mileage, but they would be a good idea. Better yet would be articulated lights mounted on the body, so they didn't bounce, yet turned with the wheels.

CyncySpyder
10-12-2012, 08:14 AM

:agree: This would be nice & ideal even:2thumbs: but have you ever watched your front fenders while going down the road:dontknow: especially a bumpy road:shocked:

I'm sure ours are different than stock due to the fact that we have Elka shocks, but :shocked:WOW!!! Do those things ever bounce around:yikes:

Like another poster stated, I'd think they would cause issues with oncoming drivers thinking you were flashing them, not to mention that it might be distracting for the rider as well.

Again:agree:, it would be ideal, but I don't know how one could overcome this issue :dontknow::gaah:

chris56
10-12-2012, 08:46 AM

I think the LED - Lights get smaller and brighter in the future - was just my Idea when I saw the new fenders the first time ....

cjackg
10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
One of our best sponsors, TRICLED, already offers a set of very hi-power 4-LED driving lights with solid mounts for the RT fender braces.

I use a similar mount from KewlMetal on my RT fender braces and never notice lights shaking. The mounts are expensive but worth it if you want a top quality mount on the braces.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42789&d=1332709886

mrb
10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
One of our best sponsors, TRICLED, already offers a set of very hi-power 4-LED driving lights with solid mounts for the RT fender braces.

I use a similar mount from KewlMetal on my RT fender braces and never notice lights shaking. The mounts are expensive but worth it if you want a top quality mount on the braces.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42789&d=1332709886

+1 for Tricled. Reggies units are 2,000 lumens with great mounts. Just dont look straight into the light.

Bob Denman
10-14-2012, 09:16 AM
:shocked: Why not?? :shocked: :roflblack:

napper39
10-14-2012, 10:23 AM
heres mine but ive seen a lot of other spyders with lights mounted there.they work good for me.:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
10-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Do you notice the suspension cycling with them mounted their?

Trickie Dick
10-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Can you give the link to the source & specs of these???

Sorry, I missed your request. I got mine here. http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/StoreFront.bok The model I bought is no longer available. I've had mine for 3 years with no problems.

mooneych
11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Has anyone seen or tried these? They look pretty promising. The model 30 puts out 500 lumens less. I also like the idea of the dimmer...

Where would you mount these lights? Mr. Orange mentioned the mirror mounts, but I'm not quite so sure how I'd go around doing this. Any ideas?

http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok (http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok)

*** I just realized Trickie Dick's link above is the same website. Which model did you buy? How did you mount it?***

Bob Denman
11-01-2012, 01:01 PM
The lights that you've mentioned are listed as a "floodlight"; I'm not sure what sort of beam they'd throw out there onto the road. :shocked:
They might just do a great job of blinding oncoming traffic??? :dontknow:

mooneych
11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
The model 30 is a spotlight. My intention is to use the dimmer to have the light on low intensity (15%), and go to 100% when the hi beams are toggled. I'm not impressed with my HID's and the halogen fog lights. :mad:

Trickie Dick
11-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Has anyone seen or tried these? They look pretty promising. The model 30 puts out 500 lumens less. I also like the idea of the dimmer...

Where would you mount these lights? Mr. Orange mentioned the mirror mounts, but I'm not quite so sure how I'd go around doing this. Any ideas?

http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok (http://stores.advmonster.com/-strse-2/Black-Model-44-LED/Detail.bok)

*** I just realized Trickie Dick's link above is the same website. Which model did you buy? How did you mount it?***

As I said, the model I have is no longer available. It has 3 levels, 1500 lumens and is the flood. I think if you read the thread on ADVrider, you will find most opted for the floods. I have mine mounted where Napper has his(post 16). I drilled a hole in the plastic cover and used some rubber washers to cushion the vibration. The lights are adjustable on their mounts so you can have the coverage you want. Yes, if pointed too high, you will blind on-coming drivers especially on the highest level. I use mine for lighting the immediate area up to 50 feet out front of the spyder. Another use is, of course, being seen. I can reach out a lot further if I wish. You can get a rheostat for them now I think which would make it even better. I've been really pleased with mine.