PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Mod

arntufun
10-11-2012, 05:02 PM
This Spyder is for sale on Ebay, ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-SPYDER-SE5-2009-CAN-AM-SPYDER-SE5-SEMI-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-LOTS-OF-EXTRAS-/221138409848?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item337ce05978) and it has a very interesting parking brake mod.

I had one of those on my riding tractor to lift the mower deck up.

Bob Denman
10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
:shocked: That doesn't look as if it would be very comfortable; wouldn't it steal a lot of legroom from the passenger?

coz
10-12-2012, 04:52 PM
it looks to be pretty close to the bodywork, as for passenger comfort,,,,,,,,,,who cares?:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:
some enabled spyderlovers have had a similar set up :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Asking prices rarely are the same as buying prices... :thumbup:

DrewNJ
10-12-2012, 05:17 PM
:yikes: $12,950 :yikes: Holy crap what has that guy been smoking? I know it's a very low mileage Spyder but heck I didn't pay much more than that for my brand new 2009 in October of 2010 and now the 2013s are right around the corner.

but yours doesn't have that custom handbrake!.....:joke:

farmerjim
10-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

wilfredopr
10-12-2012, 05:49 PM
This Spyder is for sale on Ebay, ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Can-Am-SPYDER-SE5-2009-CAN-AM-SPYDER-SE5-SEMI-AUTOMATIC-TRANSMISSION-LOTS-OF-EXTRAS-/221138409848?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item337ce05978) and it has a very interesting parking brake mod.

I had one of those on my riding tractor to lift the mower deck up.

I fabricate an exact parking brake for a friend as a favor. Because he is missing the left leg from the knee down (motorcycle accident) The lever is rigth under his prothesis, so no issues with comfort.

FLSPYDERRYDER
11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Here's my custom parking brake...
http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/i-LvbbfT7/0/M/DSCF5182-M.jpg

resulting in...
http://gargoyle.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Spyder1374/i-HMdDMfN/0/M/DSCF5176-M.jpg

The original owner of Sunshyn's '08SE5 made MANY modifications. One of them resulted in an on and off "...BRAKE..." message, b/c the top of the pedal kissed the underside lip of the fender. Finally, she took the vertical steel part off and put the rubber pad on the remaining lower part. Other than leaning waaaaay over to engage or disengage it, one has to be beside the bike to engage or disengage. No more PBrake messages. She says she is going to have the part she took off shortened, but she's not riding now, so ...........

Bob Denman
11-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Let her know that she's being missed... :shocked:
I know that she's had more than her share of issues with that bike; I hope that she's finding a way out from under all of them! :thumbup:

FLSPYDERRYDER
11-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Let her know that she's being missed... :shocked:
I know that she's had more than her share of issues with that bike; I hope that she's finding a way out from under all of them! :thumbup:

I know she misses her "spyderlovers.com" friends. I told her that you said, "... she's being missed."

As for her bike issues, I know next to nothing about her machine. It seemed fine at first,but then the backfiring, the quitting, the error messages and on and on. However, I am one who would think hard about buying an almost 4 years old machine with only 1,500 miles on it. I told her that even though the low mileage sounded good, not being driven was not a good thing. Previous owners wife told Sandy that after the initial new toy excitement, this Spyder just stayed in its own climate controlled, custom made trailer home. I remember Sandy telling me about this incredible "just missing a kitchen sink" Spyder house on wheels priced at $10K. Those owners left few dollars unspent dolling this Spyder up, and it really is a "farkled" out machine. After wife and I looked at a pure stock model, I was quite amazed at how much has been added to her HOTRED. Sandy's last ryde was to get LED light strings installed.

My wife and I thought it would be a nice surprise for her if I could mount the trunk. Sandy aka Sunshyn and my wife are friends. They enjoy sharing their creativeness. They enjoy making pottery, stained glass, landscaping, etc.. Soooooo, my wife, after looking online for the plate that was removed and replaced with the adjustable backrest, found one for about $110. After showing me the plate online, she asked if one of these plates could be made using the flat metal in the tailgate of Sandy's "...pretty little Nissan truck..." that is in a paint and body shop getting wreck repair work done. Talk about imagination!!!! With nothing to lose but a tailgate that is going to the scrapyard anyway, she is going to try her hand at cutting the general shape of the plate, based on a pattern she's going to make from the Spyder Sport Rack with the backrest removed. Wife and I were digging around in a junk yard recently and saw someone using a Sawsall (sp) to cut Jeep metal. Sandy's Nissan PU is a '91 3.0L V6 SE that was built in TN about 20 miles from where she used to live before retiring and movingd to Florida. I don't know if the metal will be strong/sturdy enough. However, it is most certainly thicker than the thin metal used in the Spyder. I told wife to "go for it!"

DR Buck
11-09-2012, 10:56 AM
:agree: but this is an auction and it doesn't have a "make an offer" as an option. The bidding opens at $12,499.00 and that was the Buy It Now price. It has an 8 day listing and I saved it just out of curiosity to see what happens.

I've looked at this link and it is NOT a buy-it-now price. That is the starting bid. And, there is no make-an-offer option.

Tazzel
11-09-2012, 12:56 PM
:yikes: $12,950 :yikes: Holy crap what has that guy been smoking? I know it's a very low mileage Spyder but heck I didn't pay much more than that for my brand new 2009 in October of 2010 and now the 2013s are right around the corner.

Thats about average here in Colorado of 2008's