PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Tolerance

Rar
10-09-2012, 07:50 PM
This is my first year ryding and I am sad that this season's days are numbered. Under what temperatures and conditions do you hibernate your Spyder? Do you ever awaken it during a January thaw or the hibernation period?

schnauzermom
10-09-2012, 07:55 PM
We live in a temperate climate here in Western Washington. So, we sometimes get 50 degree days in January. Our temps in the winter are in the 40's, sometimes 30's, rarely gets below freezing. So we keep our bikes hooked up to a trickle charger and try to get them out at least once a month for coffee or something. The Pacific is our heater in the winter and air conditioner in the summer.

Rotaxer
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Have been riding still here in Canada, 8*C (46*F) Getting a little cool but with the proper riding gear it is tolerable. Up where I live in the dead of winter it can go from -30* C up 20* C over night. So if there is no snow I will be out Spydering!

warp10
10-09-2012, 08:31 PM
get a heated jacket, use the heated grips and ride when there is no snow on the ground. :yes:

Rar
10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
If the temps moderate, does anyone worry about the salt and/or sand on the roads that accumulate during the winter?

Sarge707
10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
In CT I rode More Last Winter Than in The Heat of the Summer on a GS.
Thermal Suit, Bella Cava, and Heated Grips is All you need and the Spyder runs Cool and Powerful!!!!!!!!!!!
Our Snow is Removed from the roads within 24 Hours- BUT this might not be the case in Many Parts of the US.
I wouldn,t ride on Snow Covered Roads?

2 Cruysyn
10-09-2012, 09:32 PM
This is my first year ryding and I am sad that this season's days are numbered. Under what temperatures and conditions do you hibernate your Spyder? Do you ever awaken it during a January thaw or the hibernation period?

No hibernation here. If the roads are clear I gear up appropriately and enjoy the ryde.

Ga Blue Knight
10-09-2012, 10:05 PM
I ride all year all over the country in all kinds of weather. There is no bad weather just bad equipment!

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-09-2012, 10:22 PM
If the temps moderate, does anyone worry about the salt and/or sand on the roads that accumulate during the winter?

" yes ", you would be foolish not to......Spyders are stable, but they can slide pretty good on these wide tires

asp125
10-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I plan to keep the battery charged up, and break out the cold weather gear when the roads are snow free. Just dress for the weather.

If cars are sliding, the spyder stays home. If not, the spyder can play.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

d.o.spyder-rts
10-10-2012, 12:48 AM
I can and do ride year round; of course I do live in the Panhandle of Florida. Yes, it does occasionally get cold but if you dress for it, it doesn't get bad. Dale

Grandpa Spyder
10-10-2012, 04:39 AM
I ride year around, No hibernation for my Spyder. Hardly ever go a week without riding. 40 degrees and up.

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 06:40 AM

That's what'll keep mine in the garage in the Winter; I watch for road surface conditions! If the temperatures manage to get to about 38 or so... I'm ready! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Oh; I almost forgot! :opps: Did you guys feel that quake that was centered a bit South of Montreal? :shocked:

mick ruhdorf
10-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Hi ill put mine away at first snowfall and since it never ever snows here i guess ill be riding all year-round :yes:
cheers from OZ mick

daveinva
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Ride year round, cold and rain. Park it when there's snow or ice on the ground. Once it gets cold enough, I use a battery tender every night.

This weekend I was returning from the lovely mountains of West Virginia riding over passes at 37 degrees in a piddling rain. Gerbing heated gear FTW. :thumbup: (A big windshield and wind deflectors are a bonus).

Had one sketchy moment coming over Shenandoah Mountain-- going downhill the rear wheel hit something slick, think it must've been a patch of oil, Spyder went squirrely for a second. Two front tires pulled me out of it. I hate to think what it would have been like on two wheels. :shocked:

Thank goodness for three!

Rar
10-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Oh; I almost forgot! :opps: Did you guys feel that quake that was centered a bit South of Montreal? :shocked:

No- sound asleep. :)

boborgera
10-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Like mention before get a heated jacket, And I'll add also Heavy gloves and lined jeans and ride.:thumbup:

DocRags
10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Do you ever awaken it during a January thaw or the hibernation period? What are THOSE??? :roflblack:

oldgoat
10-10-2012, 09:19 AM

I was just going to sleep when I thought a huge, sustained wind gust was shaking the house, ending with a big bang. Felt like a truck had run into the basement.
No apparent damage thank goodness.

Rar
10-10-2012, 01:21 PM
What are THOSE??? :roflblack:

I'm SO jealous. !!!!!!!! nojoke

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Let's go visit them in January... :agree:

grumpybob
10-10-2012, 05:29 PM
When the roads are salted for the first time the spyder gets put to sleep until spring when it rains enough to get the salt & sand off the road.

Rode with PGR riders Nov. 11th last year. Got about 2 inches of wet snow. Nanny kept shutting me down. Went home & got my truck & trailer to haul 2 wheelers home for other riders.

Rar
10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
Let's go visit them in January... :agree:

:thumbup: We need to make a plan. :)

MtlBen
10-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Yep. The entire house was vibrating.

For winter riding, there is a new law in Quebec (from a few years ago) that makes winter tires mandatory. That keeps all 2 and 3 wheelers off the roads during winter months.

...Ben...

bruiser
10-10-2012, 07:19 PM
What is this hibernation you speak of?

vtrider
10-10-2012, 07:22 PM

I've taken the spyder out in as low as 25F, but once the roads get ice and the salt and sand trucks are out, it is time to put up the spyder for the winter. I don't go into hibernation for long though. This is when I get ready for my other passion during the winter months...
SNOWMOBILING!

Rar
10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
What is this hibernation you speak of?

The hibernation which I am referring to is the period of Spyder 'sleep' during which it is not ridden until roads clear of snow, ice, sand and salt debris and/or when the temperature or conditions become tolerable for the Ryder.

bruiser
10-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Hmmm, I thought that was for bears. :roflblack: We don't get much snow here and the average temp is about 45. Having said that it'll probably be one of the worst winters in NC history.

MTFan
10-10-2012, 08:43 PM
With a heated liner I have gone to 15 degrees last year. As long as there is no ice between me and the interstate I will ride.

Jharpo
10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
QUOTE=Bob Denman;528072]Let's go visit them in January... :agree:[/QUOTE]
Come on down. I put over 500 Miles on my Spyder last January and enjoyed every minute of it going through Ocala National Forest. Intend to put more miles this Jan. because I'm retiring at the end of Dec. and will have no money, but lots of time to Ryde.

SPYD3R
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
here in SoCar, we ride 12 mths per year.....
i've been on the Blue Ridge Parkway when there's been ice hanging from the tunnels... cold? ya... but great riding anyways... you need to dress appropriately, and be cautious of road conditions... while my "2 wheel" pals are sitting home wishing they could ride on a nice sunny winters day, us SPYD3R's are out on the roads enjoying ourselves... COME ON DOWN, i'll ride with you.... :~)

Rar
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
QUOTE=Bob Denman;528072]Let's go visit them in January... :agree:
Come on down. I put over 500 Miles on my Spyder last January and enjoyed every minute of it going through Ocala National Forest. Intend to put more miles this Jan. because I'm retiring at the end of Dec. and will have no money, but lots of time to Ryde.[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap::clap:

Bob Denman
10-11-2012, 06:58 AM
The hibernation which I am referring to is the period of Spyder 'sleep' during which it is not ridden until roads clear of snow, ice, sand and salt debris and/or when the temperature or conditions become tolerable for the Ryder.
A.K.A. The Dark Spell :shocked:

CyncySpyder
10-11-2012, 07:33 AM
We've been using Teds Red Sled as our only mode of transport for the past 2 years now, in ANY & ALL weather conditions & have learned a little about which you speak.

Ryding year round, even in freezing temps is totally doable with a Spyder, as long as YOU & IT are properly prepared for the conditions.

I have the 1st Gear Thermo Riding Suit that we got from BajaRon, and that paired with a full face helmet with Baclava, gloves with the RTs heated Grips & fully adjustable shield to block most the direct wind, Thermal socks with insole warmers, and riding boots, & we've been able to do 100 miles trips in 16 & 28 degree temps without issue.

The stock tires don't handle snow or ice very well, but with the assistance of the Nanny, she'll keep kicking and trying the best she can. We just switched to car tires with a better winter rating, & I'm hoping to get a little better traction for those rare off days when there is some snow actually coating the road.

Our trailer hitch had alot of corrosive debris inside the hollow axle that caused our hitch bolt to become solidly lodged when we tried to remove it. Took 4 days, an electric impact, one BFH, a HUGE Pipe Wrench and three men (& Teddy) ALL working in unison to get the hitch bolt out. I thought for sure it had to be bent or something to that effect, but I was wrong. Nothing wrong besides a bunch of corrosive debris from the road salt put down when it snows.

Also, when trying to remove the 2 clamp/bushing assemblies that hold the muffler on, the one closest to the outter part of the bike, by your foot, was solidly seized and had to be physically broken off to remove it, again, due to the corrisive road salt.

Two things I learned:
Remove the hitch (especially in winter) when not needed and make sure to put the hitch caps on, with liberal amounts of marine grade lube.

When ryding in the winter, make sure to coat all underbody metal with a nice coat of silicone to help prevent corrosion from road salt.

I've learned alot in the past 2 years, and am learning more every day, especially with our current undertaking as it stands. For those of you that choose, there's no reason you can't ryde if the roads are nice and clear, no matter the temps as long as your prepared. Your Spyder doesn't have to hibernate all winter long, unless thats what you choose. You're likely to find, as we did, the Spyder actaully seems to run better & a bit more spirited in colder temps ;)