PDA

View Full Version : Wind deflector....still trapping gas???

Kratos
10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Been reading a lot of threads with the search function on the wind deflectors and their ability to trap heat and deflect wind for winter riding. But so many complaints of exhaust fumes...:shocked:. Is there a chance I might not get the exhaust fume issue, or should I explore another route of trapping heat/deflecting wind for the winter?

boborgera
10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
I really haven't had any problem with the wings in the winter, But in the Summer that's when the fumes were bothersome, If you do find that yours still cause a back draft in the winter, Take them off and use an electric [heated] jacket, That will take care of the cold winter weather. :thumbup:

Sarge707
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
First thing I took off my new RT was the Lower wind deflectors in front of the engine vent!!
I want the heat to escape and the Extra air around me!!
In the winter I wear a Thermal suit so it doesn,t matter.

NancysToy
10-09-2012, 04:33 PM
This is pretty much a case of not being able to have your cake and eat it too. You can continue to tinker with the aerodynamics, hoping to find a balance point between backlash wind/odor and rider protection, or you can pursue heated grips, hand covers, heated riding gear, and so forth. You have to decide what you prefer to tolerate and go from there. There are several approaches you could try, wickerbills on the deflectors or windshield, different deflector/windhield angles, different deflector/windshield sizes holes in the deflectors, Baker Air Wings, custom exhaust extensions, different muffler, and so on. Without a wind tunnel, only experimentaltion will tell the tale. This could be expensive and time consuming. There is no magic bullet short of trading the Spyder in for a Smart car. JMHO

DR Buck
10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
My plan when it gets cold is to park the Spyder in the garage. :joke:

Kratos
10-09-2012, 05:03 PM
This is pretty much a case of not being able to have your cake and eat it too. You can continue to tinker with the aerodynamics, hoping to find a balance point between backlash wind/odor and rider protection, or you can pursue heated grips, hand covers, heated riding gear, and so forth. You have to decide what you prefer to tolerate and go from there. There are several approaches you could try, wickerbills on the deflectors or windshield, different deflector/windhield angles, different deflector/windshield sizes holes in the deflectors, Baker Air Wings, custom exhaust extensions, different muffler, and so on. Without a wind tunnel, only experimentaltion will tell the tale. This could be expensive and time consuming. There is no magic bullet short of trading the Spyder in for a Smart car. JMHO

Ok, then I will choose thermal gear. I originally made that choice, but thought I'd entertain the aerodynamic area. You've brought me back to my original choice. Lol

1551retired
10-09-2012, 06:06 PM
My plan when it gets cold is to park the Spyder in the garage. :joke:

No way. We always head to FL where we ryde all winter each year. ;)

Yes, we are snowbirds.:ohyea:

SpyderRx
10-10-2012, 06:29 AM
As you know, I have been fighting this problem. I built a bracket Sunday afternoon to lower the exhaust down to basically parallel with the ground. Probably dropped it about 2-3 inches. To my surprise I have ridden to work and home the past 2 days and have had basically no exhaust smell on me. I want to see how it does in warmer weather before I say problem solved, but it sure seems to have fixed the problem. If I could figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone I would.

coz
10-10-2012, 06:36 AM
that's great, spyderrx. glad it solved your problem:thumbup:

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 07:26 AM
Scotty,
Did you say a "Smart Car"?? :shocked: :yikes: :roflblack:
My kid's Ford Fiesta gets a steady 45 mpg... But it's a fiesta... not a Spyder! :thumbup: When he tries to play the mpg card; I just give him my most profound sympathies! :roflblack:

Smart Car... :opps:

Sny
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
There are several approaches you could try, wickerbills on the deflectors or windshield, different deflector/windhield angles, different deflector/windshield sizes holes in the deflectors, Baker Air Wings, custom exhaust extensions, different muffler, and so on. Without a wind tunnel, only experimentaltion will tell the tale. This could be expensive and time consuming.
Playing with aerodynamics results it a lot of reading like this: http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/tech104gurney.htm

My opinion would be get things that are adjustable. Adjustable windshield (madstad), adjustable wings (baker), adjustable/removable hand deflectors (madstad) and so on. One thing not mentioned is cutting a hole in your windshield and putting in a louvered vent like on a goldwing. I've heard that flushes away any exhaust smells.

Adjust til you're happy! Cheaper than replacing parts over and over and never really getting what you want.

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
I seem to recall seeing that lots of folks were putting extensions on their exhausts with good results...

NancysToy
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Playing with aerodynamics results it a lot of reading like this: http://www.insideracingtechnology.com/tech104gurney.htm

My opinion would be get things that are adjustable. Adjustable windshield (madstad), adjustable wings (baker), adjustable/removable hand deflectors (madstad) and so on. One thing not mentioned is cutting a hole in your windshield and putting in a louvered vent like on a goldwing. I've heard that flushes away any exhaust smells.

Adjust til you're happy! Cheaper than replacing parts over and over and never really getting what you want.
Good advice! Adjustable is certainly the best way to go when trying to experiment with the air flow. Much cheaper alternative...although it can drive you just as nuts as swapping or modifying parts. What works for one does not always work for another, so it is hard to get advice that is reliable for this kind of stuff.

Kratos
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
You guys are correct. I should have just started with a Madstad and been done with it. I guess I thought after a ton of research, the shields I bought would be "close". I've tried 2 shields so far, and although the second is much better than the first, nothing that's not adjustable is gonna be just right. Sometimes we learn the hard way.....:)

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 02:43 PM
But just think of the wealth of valuable information that you have accumulated for generations of future Spyder-ers! :2thumbs:

Kratos
10-10-2012, 03:46 PM
But just think of the wealth of valuable information that you have accumulated for generations of future Spyder-ers! :2thumbs:

True...haha...even in failures there is still good knowledge.

Sny
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
You could always buy the madstad bracket and drill your windshield for it. Did that for my wife's mistak... I mean insufficiently researched purchase.

Kratos
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
You could always buy the madstad bracket and drill your windshield for it. Did that for my wife's mistak... I mean insufficiently researched purchase.

I thought about it...but the drilling has me a little uneasy. :shocked:

Bob Denman
10-10-2012, 05:19 PM

That's EXACTLY what I keep telling my Missus; but she ain't buying it! :shocked: :roflblack:

boborgera
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM

The old saying gos; A wise man learns by his mistakes;;

WRONG,

A wise man learns by other peoples mistakes.:thumbup:

pro10is
10-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I thought about it...but the drilling has me a little uneasy. :shocked:

The drilling is very easy. Mark at Madstad will even give you a special drill bit with your order that doesn't wander and cuts through the plastic like butter. All you have to do is mount the brackets (which is easy because they come with their own mount that bolts onto the windshield screws), then simply place the windshield over the brackets to mark the hole pattern.

Give Mark a call or email him, he's a great guy and will be happy to talk you through it and answer any of your questions. He helped me mount a windshield on my BRP boat. It came out great.

Sny
10-11-2012, 10:08 AM
:agree: I was afraid too, but Mark made it super easy.