PDA

View Full Version : My First Oil Change

Spidergirl27
10-09-2012, 01:17 AM
I did my first oil change only because the Spyder dealer in town charges more than $300. However I think I might pay it next time and get them to put in the two screws I had left over. It's not an easy task and it took more than 3 hours. I'm sure now that I've done it once it will go much faster but what really upset me was once I was all done and started it up I got the "LIMP HOME" mode.:gaah: Thank you everyone who posts on this site because I was able to do as you said (MODE--->SET---->SIGNAL CANCEL)to get the code error. It was the low oil pressure. After driving it slowly for a few meters the preasure built up and cleared.:thumbup: Drives like a dream but did it really have to be so freakin complicated? Two filters, two drain plugs, removing skid plate and panels that have different size screws on the same panel. Not to mention the low clearance to try and get a jack under it. If an oil change is a once/yr ordeal, my advice is to save up for it.

boborgera
10-09-2012, 07:07 AM
I would change the oil on all my Vehicles [don't do it any more], Mostly because i enjoyed doing it, And also when i do it myself no appointment necessary, I would do it at my leisure.
What i do notice in most of the oil change posts is there seems to be a running contest on how fast you can do it, Whats up with that?? I would think your not getting paid by the hour to change your own oil.?

Can-Am Poogs
05-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Did my first oil change on Friday after work. The dealer is running 2 weeks behind plus they are changing locations . I was already a few hundred miles overdue. So I bought the kit and followed the instructions. Took about 3 hours. I think I can get that down to 1.25 hours. Surprised how dirty the oil gets. Could just be me but it seems to run better after the first oil change. Hopefully this will cut down on the time they need the bike for a check up.

Chupaca
05-12-2013, 01:16 AM
We have an RS manual, so we will not mention the ease, speed, or cost and just say good job it will get easier..!! :thumbup:

rc51ny
05-12-2013, 06:45 AM
I removed the bottom splash pan (ala Lamonster) and it makes the oil change faster and neater. Check out post #2 here to explain what I mean:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?14647-Lamonster-Oil-Change-on-the-RT

ulflyer
05-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Yep, leave the pans off the bottom, drill the hole for the one hard to reach Xmsn bolt, get an extended tool for this one, and its all much easier. I jack mine up and set it on 3 large blocks about 8" tall just to give more clearance for draining and such. FWIW, it took me 3 hrs for the first one also, what with pulling all the panels. With the updates this is no longer necessary and makes it much easier.

Now if BRP would only fix the turnsignals..............

NancysToy
05-12-2013, 08:46 AM
While I highly recommend that an owner do some of his or her own maintenance, there is another reason to visit the dealer, even if you change the oil yourself. There is more to a service interval than a mere oil and filter change. The dealer can hook up to BUDS to check for past fault codes, and can install any updates or perform any TSB work that may apply. Most are familiar with the machine, and will give it a thorough check while they are at it. This is especially important for the 600 mile service. Even if you do the oil change yourself, it is a darned good idea to pay to put it in the dealer's hands for a periodic checkup. JMHO

Bob Denman
05-12-2013, 09:13 AM
The kit cost about $85 bucks. My dealer only charges another $30 for the labor to do it...
This is a no-brainer for me! :2thumbs:
That; and the Missus has forbidden me to tackle this maintenance item! :gaah: :opps:

retirednick
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Congrats on exploring the wonderfulness of Spyder self maintenance. Ihave changed the oil a couple of time and certainly recommend following Lamonsters mod. Ihad a bike lift from my two wheel days and found it was invaluable. Our dealer here also charges way too much, but at least once every season, I will pay for the privilege of having BUDS check things out.

revjvegas
05-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Most are familiar with the machine, and will give it a thorough check while they are at it.
Agree with what you said NT; just want to emphasize the "Most" part. :thumbup:

WARWAGON
07-27-2013, 06:54 PM
The kit cost about $85 bucks. My dealer only charges another $30 for the labor to do it...
This is a no-brainer for me! :2thumbs:
That; and the Missus has forbidden me to tackle this maintenance item! :gaah: :opps:

Man I got to get your dealer. My local dealer wants two hours shop time X $75/hr plus kit. $235 not including taxs.

Jim&Teresa
07-27-2013, 09:52 PM
The new panel for the RT makes it a lot faster.
And once you get on to it, it does get easier.

If you have an SE use a torque wrench on the (both) of the filter covers.

Hello,

I have a 2012 RT Limited and the black panel on the left side is NOT the quick change panel. It has been to the dealer twice for service and still no panel. Are dealers normally putting this panel on when they do an oil change or is it hit or miss???

Anyway, I did send BRP service an email and see what they say....last oil change I done tooks hours, but went slow and did it right. That quick access panel would be worth having. Did it cost you anything or was it already on your bike???

Thanks.

Happy and safe rydin' :spyder2:

Jim&Teresa
07-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Check out this link: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55627-First-Oil-Change-RT-Limited&referrerid=12858

NancysToy
07-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Hello,

I have a 2012 RT Limited and the black panel on the left side is NOT the quick change panel. It has been to the dealer twice for service and still no panel. Are dealers normally putting this panel on when they do an oil change or is it hit or miss???

Anyway, I did send BRP service an email and see what they say....last oil change I done tooks hours, but went slow and did it right. That quick access panel would be worth having. Did it cost you anything or was it already on your bike???

Thanks.

Happy and safe rydin' :spyder2:
The quick change panel is normally not installed unless requested...or the voucher is presented. A sharp dealer might ask if you want it...mine did. Some aren't that keen on the new panel. Mine says it only saves about ten minutes per oil change. Harder to inspect other things in that area without all the panels off, too. If your oil change took you hours, don't count on relief from the new panel.