PDA

View Full Version : Top Cargo DIN Connection install problem

jcusick
10-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm in the process of installing the NTouch radio in my 2010 RT with the rear cargo DIN connector. Bigger job than I anticipated, not to mention I had a surprise (pleasant) guest over the weekend which slowed me down considerably.

Anyway, here's the issue now; I'm almost ready to button everything up except for the fact that the instructions do not tell me where to plug in the DIN cable that runs from the rear top cargo compartment for the IPOD/MP3 DIN cable, and for the life of me, I can't seem to find any adequate plug. I'm almost afraid that I need the additional entertainment harness, even though I was told by the dealer that this was not necessary (since it was included with the radio kit).

Is anyone able to give me a hint as to where this darn thing plugs in?

Thanks.

JC

stevedfive
10-08-2012, 03:12 PM
I hate to give you the bad news, but I think you need the Entertainment Harness. The Entertainment Harness is not included in the radio kit.

ENTERTAINMENT HARNESS - Harness required to install the CB & Communication System (219400145) and Satellite Radio Kit (219400148).
Spyder RT #219400201
$114.99

jcusick
10-08-2012, 03:59 PM
I hate to give you the bad news, but I think you need the Entertainment Harness. The Entertainment Harness is not included in the radio kit.

That's what I'm afraid of, which means I'm going to have to button it up without it. This DIN plug was the leading reason I wanted the radio. I know that sounds kinda funny since that is an awful expensive way to add an mp3 player with a couple of speakers, but I won't be using the radio often locally since there are very few stations around here in the north Mojave.

I also have a call in to Bert's service dept to see if someone there can also give me the definitive answer. If so, it will be a real bummer since they are three hours away from here and I specifically asked if I would need that cable before driving down there and was told, "No.".

All in all this was a PITA-type job with all the cover removal, and there is nothing more fun than to open up top covers and find missing screws and one or two broken clip mounts underneath, and at least one of the broken clip mounts was an obvious factory cob-job when the rear top case panel was originally mounted, which gives me a (hopefully unnecessary) reason to worry about Factory QC.

Hopefully the cable itself will not be as aggravating to install when the time comes.

Thanks for the bad news :joke:

JC

jcusick
10-08-2012, 04:44 PM
I also have a call in to Bert's service dept to see if someone there can also give me the definitive answer.
Hopefully the cable itself will not be as aggravating to install when the time comes.

Bert's just called back. Bummer... 'nuff said.

JC

stevedfive
10-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Roger is right. I thought you meant the headset plugs. I also have a A/C and it had the DIN plug already there in the trunk. I just bought the MP3 plug cable and it worked. However, my AM/FM came with the bike. I bought the Entertainment Harness because I needed for the CB and Sat Radios. I will apologize now. I would suggest going to the BRP web site and looking at the parts fiche to see what's missing.

NancysToy
10-08-2012, 07:40 PM
The Entertainment Harness is only needed for the CB/Commm System or the XM option. The standard audio does not need it. The wiring diagram does show some kind of intermediate auxiliary harness, however. I would expect it is included with the audio system, or already installed in the Spyder from the factory.

jcusick
10-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Roger is right... I would suggest going to the BRP web site and looking at the parts fiche to see what's missing.

I went to the fiche, and like the factory manual, it shows the cable and part number, but it does not show what it plugs into. The whole thing is a little confusing; no instructions in the installation guide other than tying it into the rear top cargo. Typical automotive style manual, some bad instructions and not complete. Very frustrating, especially since it clearly shows the radio cable harness and specifically calls out where, and even when, to plug it in while installing. It's just floating now, plugged into nothing and unusable at this time. :(

On the bright side, in all other regards it seems to work great.

How is BRP service on the phone? Bert's service (unlike last week) today said I needed the entertainment harness and so, unfortunately, I've already buttoned that section back up, but I'll gladly take it back apart if someone can explain where it goes. I really want things right.

Here is one site that has the fiche, http://www.flatoutpowersports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=1351140&category=Motorcycles&make=Can-Am&year=2010&fveh=37955

and it is cable 17 near the upper right. Maybe someone can read this better than I can and point out the clue I can't seem to see.

I have to agree, though, that it doesn't make sense that the entertainment harness would be necessary since it came with the AM/FM kit and no mention was made in the instruction set whatsoever about any additional requirements.

JC

jcusick
10-08-2012, 11:44 PM
When I installed the ACS on my RT the entire rear cargo section had to come off.
I'm real certain, well pretty certain, that I unplugged one connector from the back of the radio.
I'm not in a position to look right now, but I believe there is an 8 pin connector socket that the DIN plug cable fits into on the radio itself.

There are two sockets on the radio, the main socket for power, speakers, etc. and a second connector that has far more than eight pins. I don't recall the exact number of pins (less than the primary socket) but I checked it and it didn't look like the DIN cable connector (8 pins, as you said) would fit that one. I could be wrong, of course, and I will double check that one. The instructions pointed out the second connector more than once and always showed it with the cover on and no explanation of what it was for.I did pull the cover and there were more than 8 pin sockets, I believe.

There is another cable next to the primary cable that has an 8 pin socket, but the plastic connectors did not match up and the DIN cable connector did not physically fit this particular socket. I originally thought that this was the connection point, but unfortunately they do not physically match - or fit. I hate to think BRP made a change that wasn't accounted for in the kit (or 2010 RT) but it could be, I suppose.

I sent an email to BRP Spyder support tonight. We'll see how they reply.

Thanks again to all for the feedback. I was hoping to button this all up tonight and ride tomorrow, but if I have to wait a day or two I guess I can live with it. :sour:

JC