PDA

View Full Version : I installed the SpyderPops BumpSkid and I ......

bmwlarry
10-08-2012, 10:04 AM
A couple of days ago, I installed the RT BumpSkid and everything went great, Great product and very easy install. I rode 460 miles this weekend over Sat and Sun and I noticed something. The ambient outside temp gauge nows is way off! It consistently reads 10+ high. On return yesterday, It read 81 and it was actually 68. Has anyone else noticed this? Where is the temp reader and is it hard to move it to a better position?

RodMyers
10-08-2012, 12:33 PM
That would explain why mine is about the same amount.

Hopefully an answer can be found

Spyderal11
10-08-2012, 12:59 PM
That may be the reason mine quit showing the correct temp, my wife brought it to my attention never give the skid plate a thought.

MidLifeCrisis
10-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Anyone have the upper radiator port blocked? I have the bump skid on mine too and the temp is accurate. With the lower port blocked, the temp reading remains the same. Blocking the top port and removing the bottom throws off the reading as much as 10 degrees to the high side.

That's been my experience anyway...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

RodMyers
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
not sure. lifted the spyder just enough to remove and install the new skid plate.

Any pics to help us t-shoot?

bmwlarry
10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I do have the spyderpopps heat shield and have removed the lower cover.

MidLifeCrisis
10-08-2012, 11:08 PM
I do have the spyderpopps heat shield and have removed the lower cover.

You can experiment with removing the top one as a test. It's never caused any issues, but does seem to throw the ambient temp sensor off a bit. Adding or subtracting the lower one has no impact on the reading. I think the tupperwear around just heats up a bit more with the top one in place.

AbNormy
10-09-2012, 12:04 AM
I had the bump skid cat shield and block off plate and have notice my temp read way hotter than it could possibly be, but even when I hadn't ridden yet, thought it was a malfunction. curious what you guys figure out. :dontknow:

bmwlarry
10-09-2012, 11:56 AM
If I remember correctly, when removing the original shield, there was a bit of a gap between the front (White, on mine) fiberglass part and the shield. The factory one wrapped the leading edge up behind the white part while the BumpSkid comes all the way out under the front. I suppose that, with only the factory one, some air is pulled up under the front or air moving under the front pulls some heated air down and out. Just my thoughts!

MidLifeCrisis
10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
You can experiment with removing the top one as a test. It's never caused any issues, but does seem to throw the ambient temp sensor off a bit. Adding or subtracting the lower one has no impact on the reading. I think the tupperwear around just heats up a bit more with the top one in place.

Scratch this experiment. I tried it and didn't make the difference I previously thought. There was only two degrees difference between the top port being blocked or unblocked.