PDA

View Full Version : Left front brake "clunk"

Questions
10-07-2012, 06:08 PM
All,
I decided I should have posted this here instead of in the general RT forum. Hope I did not break any rules.

My wife and I just bought a new 2012 RT Audio. In our first few rides before the 600 mile service we noticed a rather odd noise like metal scraping at different times. When present, it did not sound speed or engine RPM related and would come and go almost at random. It would usually start when I was accelerating and then continue, sometimes for many miles. It is definitely not the noise many have discussed associated with the holes in the brake rotors. The best I could do to isolate it was that it seemed stronger in the front left side but I could not tell more than that. I was not overly worried because everything else was working great and it did not sound destructive. Two days ago, I took it in for the 600 mile service, a 90 mile ride over some mountains to my dealer. As I was rolling down our long sloped driveway (no braking) I heard a relatively loud scraping coming from the left front wheel. Again, this was not the slight noise you hear from the rotors when lightly braking. It was strong and sounded like metal on metal. I got off and looked things over but saw nothing that could be causing it. It stopped at the bottom of the hill so I decided to continue on to the dealer so they could look at it.

When I was pulling into the dealer's lot and hit the brakes, I heard a loud clunk coming from the left front wheel. It would happen every time I hit the brakes and was even louder when I reversed and then went forward. I had never heard this before. The dealer said they would look at it. When I picked the bike up yesterday, they said everything was fine and could find nothing except the minor ticking noise the rotor holes made. I did not like the answer but they did say they pulled the wheels and saw nothing. As I started to drive away, I again heard the loud clunk in the left front every time I hit the brakes. I stopped and asked the tech to come out and listen since this was definitely not the normal brake ticking. He looked me in the eye and basically said that was the nature of the beast, deal with it. When asked what it was he said probably loose pad. So I suggested the pads should not be loose and he once again said "nothing wrong, they all do it".

I left in frustration. I suspect that there is indeed a loose pad or damaged caliper as I can't come up with any other explaination. I am reluctant to tear it down myself to look because I don't yet have the service manual to give me bolt torques and setup data for the wheel sensor. I also don't know what it should look like to be able to tell what may be wrong.

I would appreciate any ideas or insight you may have as to how to proceed and what the cause might be. I am a retired mechanical engineer with 30+ years of experiece designing high speed machines and have worked on all my bikes for 45 years so I am not afraid to work on things. I just want to be careful how I approach this to not get into warranty issues. It seems my dealer is not going to be much help.
Randy

MarkLawson
10-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I have no idea if this helps, but is something I noticed yesterday on my wife's '08 GS: I removed the left front wheel and noticed that the brake disc and the ABS sprocket-looking plate are 'loose' when the wheel is removed. They are held in place by the lug nuts. If the lug nut aren't properly torqued, you might hear some noise.

Just a thought. Good luck & welcome to SpyderLovers!

SpyderAnn01
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
:welcome: sorry to hear you're having problems but I'm sure some of the smart people on this site will chime in to help you out. Good luck.

Questions
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Mark,
I noticed that as well and one thing the tech said he did was ensure the nuts were tight. I also checked them and they seem ok. Thanks for the input though.
Randy

jerpinoy
10-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Sorry to hear about your brake. If you can, get other opinion. I think you have issue and need to be resolve. Hope you find out soon and feel better and safe.

Randy McClure
04-02-2018, 10:16 AM
All,
I decided I should have posted this here instead of in the general RT forum. Hope I did not break any rules.

My wife and I just bought a new 2012 RT Audio. In our first few rides before the 600 mile service we noticed a rather odd noise like metal scraping at different times. When present, it did not sound speed or engine RPM related and would come and go almost at random. It would usually start when I was accelerating and then continue, sometimes for many miles. It is definitely not the noise many have discussed associated with the holes in the brake rotors. The best I could do to isolate it was that it seemed stronger in the front left side but I could not tell more than that. I was not overly worried because everything else was working great and it did not sound destructive. Two days ago, I took it in for the 600 mile service, a 90 mile ride over some mountains to my dealer. As I was rolling down our long sloped driveway (no braking) I heard a relatively loud scraping coming from the left front wheel. Again, this was not the slight noise you hear from the rotors when lightly braking. It was strong and sounded like metal on metal. I got off and looked things over but saw nothing that could be causing it. It stopped at the bottom of the hill so I decided to continue on to the dealer so they could look at it.

When I was pulling into the dealer's lot and hit the brakes, I heard a loud clunk coming from the left front wheel. It would happen every time I hit the brakes and was even louder when I reversed and then went forward. I had never heard this before. The dealer said they would look at it. When I picked the bike up yesterday, they said everything was fine and could find nothing except the minor ticking noise the rotor holes made. I did not like the answer but they did say they pulled the wheels and saw nothing. As I started to drive away, I again heard the loud clunk in the left front every time I hit the brakes. I stopped and asked the tech to come out and listen since this was definitely not the normal brake ticking. He looked me in the eye and basically said that was the nature of the beast, deal with it. When asked what it was he said probably loose pad. So I suggested the pads should not be loose and he once again said "nothing wrong, they all do it".

I left in frustration. I suspect that there is indeed a loose pad or damaged caliper as I can't come up with any other explaination. I am reluctant to tear it down myself to look because I don't yet have the service manual to give me bolt torques and setup data for the wheel sensor. I also don't know what it should look like to be able to tell what may be wrong.

I would appreciate any ideas or insight you may have as to how to proceed and what the cause might be. I am a retired mechanical engineer with 30+ years of experiece designing high speed machines and have worked on all my bikes for 45 years so I am not afraid to work on things. I just want to be careful how I approach this to not get into warranty issues. It seems my dealer is not going to be much help.
Randy

mine did the same thing, took off the wheels and looked at the rotors and the abs rings, noticed the rotation arrows on the rotors was wrong. checked to make sure the abs ring was correct. put wheels back on and clanking noise was gone. Hope this helps.

Bob Denman
04-02-2018, 10:36 AM
:shocked:

:oldpost: