PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Allen Head Bolt on Trans Filter Cover

ulflyer
10-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Was changing oil yesterday and went at in reverse, doing engine & filter first, then on the reservoir, then to transmission cap. Top allen came out easily, bottom one was already stripped out. I put the blame on the dealer as the last change was to get the new oil filter and cover and its the only time a dealer has changed oil on the RT. Luckily I was able to get lok pliers on the bolt head and it turned easily.
A trip to my local ACE hardware who had the exact size in stainless for $1.50 put me back in business.

This blew my timing so I can't match Lamont's 10 min change, not that I could on my best day, but the new panel does make things easier. I'd guess, for me, it will now take an hour or less.

Jeriatric
10-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Was changing oil yesterday and went at in reverse, doing engine & filter first, then on the reservoir, then to transmission cap. Top allen came out easily, bottom one was already stripped out. I put the blame on the dealer as the last change was to get the new oil filter and cover and its the only time a dealer has changed oil on the RT. Luckily I was able to get lok pliers on the bolt head and it turned easily.
A trip to my local ACE hardware who had the exact size in stainless for $1.50 put me back in business.

This blew my timing so I can't match Lamont's 10 min change, not that I could on my best day, but the new panel does make things easier. I'd guess, for me, it will now take an hour or less.

Do you have a hole drilled in the support for easier removal of the bottom filter housing bolt?

It was a 10 minute oil drain....not change. ;)

fastfraser
10-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Just a small word of caution - don't over torque the stainless bolt it will easily strip the aluminum threads .

ulflyer
10-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks for feedback folks, but just to clear up something; It wasn't me that stripped the bolt head. It was the dealer. When I did the first change at 600miles early last summer I drilled a hole in the support without being told it was ok to do that. Just make good sense to me. Went out and got a longer length, proper size allen tool and have had no problems. Took it to dealer to let them do it in order to get the new filter cover and lower panels. I was lucky to get the lok pliers to bite. Knowing the stainless is harder steel I was careful not to tighten too much.

10 minutes to drain? You mean, drop two plugs and dump it out? I can do that. Filters are another story.

Lamonster
10-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Thanks for feedback folks, but just to clear up something; It wasn't me that stripped the bolt head. It was the dealer. When I did the first change at 600miles early last summer I drilled a hole in the support without being told it was ok to do that. Just make good sense to me. Went out and got a longer length, proper size allen tool and have had no problems. Took it to dealer to let them do it in order to get the new filter cover and lower panels. I was lucky to get the lok pliers to bite. Knowing the stainless is harder steel I was careful not to tighten too much.

10 minutes to drain? You mean, drop two plugs and dump it out? I can do that. Filters are another story.

As someone pointed out, it's not a race but I just wanted to see how long it would take when I did my last oil change. :doorag:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?43728-10-minute-oil-removal-with-new-panel-for-the-RT

Rando
10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for feedback folks, but just to clear up something; It wasn't me that stripped the bolt head. It was the dealer.My dealer did the same thing during my 600 mile oil change!:banghead:

Schnauzer
10-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Working in a bike shop I see this more often than I care to remember. We get bikes(motorcycles} in that have bolts torqued to values that are doubled. I guess these guy's just crawl up on the wrench on all fours and swing from it. {ITT} "Idiots They Train"..:firstplace:.If it's tight, it won't leak